Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

mwilhelm
Participant

Report of contacts who have ever been a member of a specific list

SOLVE

I am trying to make a report of the adds and drops of a single list. I currently have the create date and opt-out date for all contacts, but I need a way to see who has ever been a member of a specific list so I can put together the adds and drops for that one list.

Anyone know a way to do this?

1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @mwilhelm,

In that case I'd recommend approaching this from a different angle, assuming that you are on a Professional or Enterprise subscription – since you can create custom reports?

Start by creating a custom date property, e.g. Subscription date. This date would be set by a contact-based workflow: Enroll contact when they are subscribing, set property value of Subscription date to date of step.

You can then create a custom report: Menu > Reports > Reports > Custom report builder with primary source contacts. Drag and drop the new Subscription date into the X-axis, the Count of contacts into the Y-axis and the Unsubscribe date into Y-axis 2 where it will be transformed into Distinct count ( Unsubscribe date ).

Unfortunately, with two data points on the Y-axis, you can't set the chart visualization settings to cumulative. That would only be possible with one line of data. However, you'd see how many contacts were "added to your list" (= have a Subscription date) and how many contacts left the list (= have an Unsubscribe date), per month (or other time interval). I'm not aware of any better way to visualize this (e.g. cumulative visualization that automatically drops when someone unsubscribes).

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
5 Replies 5
mwilhelm
Participant

SOLVE

The bigger picture is that we don't know if we should focus on adding new subscribers or improving subscriber retention. 

We are a content publisher, so we don't sell our subscribers anything, we just need to keep them subscribing to our newsletter.

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @mwilhelm,

In that case I'd recommend approaching this from a different angle, assuming that you are on a Professional or Enterprise subscription – since you can create custom reports?

Start by creating a custom date property, e.g. Subscription date. This date would be set by a contact-based workflow: Enroll contact when they are subscribing, set property value of Subscription date to date of step.

You can then create a custom report: Menu > Reports > Reports > Custom report builder with primary source contacts. Drag and drop the new Subscription date into the X-axis, the Count of contacts into the Y-axis and the Unsubscribe date into Y-axis 2 where it will be transformed into Distinct count ( Unsubscribe date ).

Unfortunately, with two data points on the Y-axis, you can't set the chart visualization settings to cumulative. That would only be possible with one line of data. However, you'd see how many contacts were "added to your list" (= have a Subscription date) and how many contacts left the list (= have an Unsubscribe date), per month (or other time interval). I'm not aware of any better way to visualize this (e.g. cumulative visualization that automatically drops when someone unsubscribes).

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
mwilhelm
Participant

SOLVE

Thank you. This helps me as we collect data going forward. I was hoping there would be a solution finding historical adds and drops, but that may not be in the cards at this time.

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @mwilhelm,

That's unfortunately correct. Historic list membership status cannot be accessed.

If you consider this solved, you can help others find this information by accepting my post as a solution. I'd appreciate it.

Have a great day!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @mwilhelm,

Could you maybe share the bigger picture here, what are you trying to report on?

Out of the box, it's not possible to create report that shows which contacts have ever been a member of a list. List membership is a snapshot in time, looking at the now. There are workarounds but they might be longer than potentially more direct solution to your reporting need.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes