Hola! ¡Tenemos nuestra Comunidad en Español!

Preventing contacts being enrolled into multiple workflows

Highlighted

I am trying to build out a series of emails to new contacts, based on their interests. When they sign up we collect data on the subject they teach and the age level. Contacts can select as many of each as they like. 

There are 3 age levels and approximately 6 subjects, so there are around 18 different emails in total. 

After looking through some hubspot community posts, we decided that we would need to build out 18 lists of the contacts that fall into each category and then run 18 separate workflows, since the if/then branches would be very difficult (if not impossible!) to manage with this many options. 

My issue is that contacts could be in more than one list, since they may teach a number of subjects and levels. If this is the case, I want to make sure they are only enrolled into one of these workflows so that they only get one email.

What's the easiest way to do this? I don't want to prevent them from being enrolled into all other workflows since we have other workflows fulfilling different functions.

Removing them from specific workflows (i.e. all 17 other versions) also seems like it may not work, since it seems that would result in contacts being removed from all versions that they have been auto-enrolled in.

A simplified example- if a contact is auto-enrolled 3 workflows A, B and C

Workflow A- remove contacts from specific workflows B and C

Workflow B- remove contacts from specific workflows A and C

Workflow C- remove contacts from specific workflows A and B

Will this contact then be removed from them all?

Many thanks for your help! 

0 Upvotes
2 Replies
Esteemed Contributor

It's hard to say.  There is nothing dictating in Hubspot whether they end up in a, b, or c first, so it's hard to tell what would end up happening based on timing.

What I've done in the past is create a data routing workflow.  However, I will admit in Hubspot it is very messy to do because you cannot rejoin paths.  What you need to figure out first before building this is what is your tolerance for someone being in multiple workflows, assuming, you have steps built into the workflow before each email send to ensure you are not oversending someone - ie: decision rule prior to each email send to see how many emails someone may have received in the last 24-48 hours. I would create a workflow to check what they submitted and see if they are subscribed to more than that limit.  If they are below the limit just put them into all workflows. If they are above the limit, then your routing program needs to determine a logical order that someone would want to receive the workflows in.

In this scenario your workflows would have manual entry (not lists) because we are using a routing workflow to distribute the leads so you can put holding steps in place to keep the timing you desire to not overwhelm your customer.

Hope this helps.

Advisor

Hii @suzannataylor 

It seems like that I can help you in this.

Stating your issue:

>My issue is that contacts could be in more than one list, since they may teach a number of subjects and levels. If this is the case, I want to make sure they are only enrolled into one of these workflows so that they only get one email.

Solution:

For each workflow, you must have set a trigger point ( that can be checking membership for a specific list). If you want a contact to be enrolled into one workflow then at the trigger point you can check for contact to not be a member of other 17 lists that you have created.

It can be time-taking process but will surely help you upto some extent.

Thanks