Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

BAtanasoski9

Number of checkboxes selected

SOLVE

Hello. 
I have a property that is a "Multiple checkboxes" property.I need the number of the values selected, rather than the actual value. 
Ex. 
Property called "Country"
     - USA              (selected)
     - Mexico         (NOT selected)
     - Brazil            (selected)
     - Argentina    (selected)
     - Denmark      (NOT selected)

I would need the nimber of the selected countries, in this case the number 3.
My initial idea was to create a workflow that would update another property based on the what was selected. But by having 10 options, the math gets crazy. 
So, is there any way of using Java or integrations to help me get this done? 
Thank you

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @BAtanasoski9,

I'll try to rephrase.

You have one number property that's called Number of values selected, for example. This is the property that counts how many options/values have been selected.

Let's assume your property, whose values you want to count for each contact, is called Selection and it has values A through E.

Your workflows would look like this:

• Workflow 1: If Selection is "A", then increase Number of values selected by 1.
  • Workflow 2: If Selection is "B", then increase Number of values selected by 1.
  • Workflow 3: If Selection is "C", then increase Number of values selected by 1.
  • Workflow 4: If Selection is "D", then increase Number of values selected by 1.
  • Workflow 5: If Selection is "E", then increase Number of values selected by 1.

That way, if a contact selects "B" and "E", for example, two workflows will trigger (2 and 5). Each will count up the number property by 1, resulting in a value of 0+1+1=2 in the property Number of values selected.

Does that make sense?

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @BAtanasoski9,

It feels wrong but: You should get what you're looking for by creating 10 separate workflows which +1 an enumeration property. One workflow for each value.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
BAtanasoski9

SOLVE

Hey Karsten.

The workflow/s would be too complicated, and even if build properlly it would create a mess once we need to add, delete or change any of the options. 
I wanted to see if this can be done by using "Java code" or maybe some integration or something. 
Thanks

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @BAtanasoski9,

The workflows wouldn't be complicated, they would all be quite simple in fact:

Workflow 1: Enroll contact when property value is 1, then count up number property by 1

Workflow 2: Enroll contact when property value is 2, then count up number property by 1

Workflow 3: Enroll contact when property value is 3, then count up number property by 1

... et cetera

Whenever a new property value is added, you would simply add one workflow. There isn't any complicated branching for combinations happening here.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
BAtanasoski9

SOLVE

I'm sorry but I don't understand. 
The property is a deal property

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @BAtanasoski9,

I'll try to rephrase.

You have one number property that's called Number of values selected, for example. This is the property that counts how many options/values have been selected.

Let's assume your property, whose values you want to count for each contact, is called Selection and it has values A through E.

Your workflows would look like this:

• Workflow 1: If Selection is "A", then increase Number of values selected by 1.
  • Workflow 2: If Selection is "B", then increase Number of values selected by 1.
  • Workflow 3: If Selection is "C", then increase Number of values selected by 1.
  • Workflow 4: If Selection is "D", then increase Number of values selected by 1.
  • Workflow 5: If Selection is "E", then increase Number of values selected by 1.

That way, if a contact selects "B" and "E", for example, two workflows will trigger (2 and 5). Each will count up the number property by 1, resulting in a value of 0+1+1=2 in the property Number of values selected.

Does that make sense?

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

AmalJood
Participant | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi Im facing a similar scenario, where your approach was the first that came to me first, but then my scenario is, My checkbox property contains events and there are 75+ events, and also new events keep adding every two weeks. 
This approach is a bit leangthy and high maintenance in the long run. 

Do you think there is another workaround ?

0 Upvotes
BérangèreL
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @AmalJood,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community!
And thanks a lot for your help @karstenkoehler!

I found some resources that might help you:

- The solution from @Mike_Eastwood on this similar post "Counter of selected options in a Multiple Checkbox Custom Property"
- The solution from @00000 on the same theme "Count the amount of values in a multi checkbox property"
- The post from @JLetellier on this similar post "Reporting Multiple checkbox property"

Have a lovely day!

Best,
Bérangère

Saviez-vous que la Communauté est disponible en Français ?
Rejoignez les discussions francophones en changeant votre langue dans les paramètres !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings!

NathanBW
Participant

SOLVE

I'm trying to do something similar here, and the problem I have with this workflow is the Number of values selected can only be increased and never decreased. So if a user checks a box but then later clears it, the value doesn't change accordingly.

Any suggestions?

0 Upvotes
AmalJood

SOLVE

Hey @NathanBW 

At the beginning of the workflow, try clearing (Clear Value) the property followed by the actual workflow of adding +1. 
And keep the renrollment trigger on, so each time when the contact gets enrolled, it clears the old value and the new value is calculated by the workflow. 
Hope this will help.

NathanBW
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks @AmalJood, but we ended up replacing this workflow with one wherein everything is a task, with each task going into one of a few queues that we can then report on.

I'll keep this in mind if we end up doing something similr in the future.

0 Upvotes
BAtanasoski9

SOLVE

That makes sence. 

This could work. 
Thank you

0 Upvotes