Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

CallumD

Notification to let me know if any workflows will trigger when uploading contacts

SOLVE

Hello,

Yesterday I innocently uploaded a list of about 300 existing contacts with some updated data for some of their contact properties. This triggered a workflow and all 300 contacts received an email they shouldn't have received. Obviously, this was not my intention, I was simply trying to update some contacts.

It's hard to remember every single one of our workflows and the triggers for each one, especially when we have a fair few people creating them all the time.

Just before I finished my upload it would've been nice if I got some sort of notification to let me know if this would trigger any workflows. This would've saved me a lot of bother as I could've cancelled the upload and changed it so it didn't trigger the workflow.

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Notification to let me know if any workflows will trigger when uploading contacts

SOLVE

Hi @CallumD,

A notification or warning like that would certainly be helpful. I haven't been able to find a suggestion like that in the HubSpot Ideas section of the community: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/idb-p/HubSpot_Ideas You could post a suggestion there. The product team reviews the posts.

As far as immediate solutions go, I'd recommend to set up watertight enrollment criteria for all workflows. It can be a lot of work but it pays off in minimized risk. Unfortunately there's no general rule that works for all workflows but over the years I've found that it's usually doable.

These are the questions that I ask myself:

Who should never be receiving emails sent from this workflow? (exclude via suppression list)

Can I think of any exceptions to our current rules aka enrollment criteria? (if yes, add additional criteria)

Can I add additional criteria which are not redundant but make enrollment even stricter?

Which other communication or processes might this workflow interfere with?

As portals grow, the risk of mishaps like these will increase. Notifications would be a symptom. If you can, it's better to treat the cause.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @CallumD,

A notification or warning like that would certainly be helpful. I haven't been able to find a suggestion like that in the HubSpot Ideas section of the community: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/idb-p/HubSpot_Ideas You could post a suggestion there. The product team reviews the posts.

As far as immediate solutions go, I'd recommend to set up watertight enrollment criteria for all workflows. It can be a lot of work but it pays off in minimized risk. Unfortunately there's no general rule that works for all workflows but over the years I've found that it's usually doable.

These are the questions that I ask myself:

Who should never be receiving emails sent from this workflow? (exclude via suppression list)

Can I think of any exceptions to our current rules aka enrollment criteria? (if yes, add additional criteria)

Can I add additional criteria which are not redundant but make enrollment even stricter?

Which other communication or processes might this workflow interfere with?

As portals grow, the risk of mishaps like these will increase. Notifications would be a symptom. If you can, it's better to treat the cause.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.