nsirrhspot
Participant

Multiple form criteria (Groups? "Contains"?) in workflows

SOLVE

Say I have three forms:

1. Summer report download form
  2. Fall report  download form
  3. Winter report  download form

Then, say I want to trigger a workflow if/then based of whether or not a report was downloaded (AKA any of the three above forms were submitted).

Form logic only allows you to select specific forms or all forms:

ifthen.png

And then, form logic only allows you to select all pages or a specific page:

ifthenpages.png

This creates a couple obvious problems.

1. The workflow's if/then must be updated every time a new form is added to a company's repetoir (for example, "Spring report download form"). At scale, this is totally unsustainable

2. A separate if/then branch must be made for every form. This doesn't work for a category with a lot of forms -- say, webinar gates for a mid-sized companies

Is there really no way for one to set up something like 'all forms containing "report download"'?

Or rather, 'form groups' that can be used as identifiers?

Or rather (worse solution), a criteria option of 'all page URLs containing /report/'?

Or rather, (expected workaround that doesn't work), the ability set up a form submission action for all the forms that adds the user to a list (i.e. 'Report Downloaders'), which can be used as the trigger within a workflow?

I've noticed there is at least something digestible in the new "Delay until event happens' URL options, but for whatever reason these aren't available in the standard if/then form options:

delayuntil.png

All four suggested solutions are available in Pardot. Anyone have a suggestion for Hubspot?

Thanks~

1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @nsirrhspot,

Unfortunately this is currently not possible in HubSpot. It's a big issue for Professional and Enterprise customers with multiple forms created each week or even day. Here is what I suggest to my customers:

Limit the number of forms created. This makes it easier (less time-consuming) to build active lists collecting form submissions. Stick to default templates as much as possible.

Use a hidden field in forms to group them. In your scenario, you could use a hidden form field and custom property to 'tag' form submissions as report form submissions. This would allow you enroll contacts into workflows whenever the value for this new property is known. Older form submissions would have to be included by building the aforementioned active lists or backfilling the new property.

There is a section of the community called HubSpot Ideas where you could post this suggestion. The product team reviews the posts based on popularity/demand.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
nicolerohrer
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

This has been brought up by various customers especially when they want to choose All Forms except meetings link forms. It's very time-intensive to create the right criteria as it stands. now.

nsirrhspot
Participant

SOLVE

Would just like to share that my team ultimately went with a different marketing automation solution due to Hubspot's inability to accomodate this logic. +Judging by the expert replies up above, this may be a pretty common pain point~

jvirrig
Participant

SOLVE

Just curious what platform you switched to instead? We/my team are basicly building all our inbound based on what fomrs customers has filled in so this is a HUGE headeache...

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @nsirrhspot,

Unfortunately this is currently not possible in HubSpot. It's a big issue for Professional and Enterprise customers with multiple forms created each week or even day. Here is what I suggest to my customers:

Limit the number of forms created. This makes it easier (less time-consuming) to build active lists collecting form submissions. Stick to default templates as much as possible.

Use a hidden field in forms to group them. In your scenario, you could use a hidden form field and custom property to 'tag' form submissions as report form submissions. This would allow you enroll contacts into workflows whenever the value for this new property is known. Older form submissions would have to be included by building the aforementioned active lists or backfilling the new property.

There is a section of the community called HubSpot Ideas where you could post this suggestion. The product team reviews the posts based on popularity/demand.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

nsirrhspot
Participant

SOLVE

Thank you @karstenkoehler -- it's a nasty workaround, but the hidden field thing makes sense!

Josh
Recognized Expert | Platinum Partner
Recognized Expert | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Hi @nsirrhspot,

In this scenario I would recommend using active lists. Your active lists could contain your form submission groups based on whatever criteria that you would like and then your enrollment criteria would be the fact that the individual is a member of that list.

List membership for workflow enrollment is awesome and it makes it easier to diagnose workflow enrollment issues.

Josh

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.
HubSpot Platinum Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer

nsirrhspot
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks for the suggestion @Josh .

So far as I can tell, your solution just scoots the same issue over to a different part of the Hubspot app. That is to say, to maintain my active list I'll have to manually add forms to it every time I create a new form. Or am I thinking about this wrong? Is there truly no way to build query logic as something like "form contains 'Report'" (or, alternatively, any form on "page contains '/report'")?

Something like this is handled so easily with Pardot's completion actions -- you can have a form submission trigger anything without having to build it into a workflow.

nsirrhspot_0-1605119199724.png

Thanks again~