Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

grahar12

Mapping HubSpot Contact field to both Salesforce Lead and Contact

SOLVE

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up a workflow, that would change the value of a picklist that resides in our SFDC instance that we have on both our Leads and our Contacts. When I look in the Admin portion to our HubSpot, I see I have the field mapped to the Lead but I don't see where I would map the value if that person in Salesforce had been converted to a Contact? Can someone walk me through what I'm missing? Just another reason I don't like the SFDC convention of having Leads AND Contacts as seperate objects

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Ben_M
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

This setting is actually in Salesforce.  If you go to the Object Manager --> Leads --> Map Lead Fields you will be able to set the mapping there to the Contact Object.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
10 Replies 10
JCuneo

SOLVE

@cretellajt I am not aware of any other criteria unfortunately. Did you try using @Ben_M's Map Lead Fields solution as well? Maybe you need to have that configured for the "same internal name" thing to work. I can't remember the steps I took and the order I took them in when I was playing around with this.

And YES! Remarkable how little documentation there is for this.

0 Upvotes
cretellajt
Participant

SOLVE

Works now! Here were my steps for anyone else struggling:

1. Deleted previous mappings (initially I made two mappings in HubSpot, same property to the fields on both SFDC objects)
  2. Updated the API Names and the Label Name for the Salesforce fields so that they matched (The API names matched before, but updated again with a new name; this may not have been necessary)
  3. Mapped the lead > Contact Conversion mappings for those fields (This was probably the problem!)
  4. Added the field mapping in HubSpot (Mapped to the field on the contact object, but probably doesn't matter)
0 Upvotes
ELanyon0

SOLVE

Hello,
I am actually having the same issue and I want to make sure (before I break anything) if I'm following your instructions correctly. I have 1 field in HubSpot that needs to integrate with both the Lead Object AND the Conact Object. I have: 
HubSpot -  Demand Gen Status
Salesforce Lead Object - Demand Gen Status (API NAME - demand_gen_state__C)
Salesforce Contact Object - Demand Gen Status (Need to create)
1. Delete integration for "Demand Gen Status" from HubSpot to the Salesforce Leaed Object.
2. Update the API name for the Salesforce Lead Object "Demand Gen Status"
3. Create a field on the Conact Object called "Demand Gen Status" and have the same API name as the Lead Object
4.  Add the field mapping in HubSpot

Do you know if this wil work?

0 Upvotes
cretellajt
Participant

SOLVE

Yes, but I recommend doing the below as well between step 3 and step 4:

• In Salesforce, map the Lead.demand_gen_state__c field to the Contact.demand_gen_state__c field in the lead conversion mappings (object manager > Lead > Fields > Map Lead Fields)
  • Export backups of all HubSpot Contacts, Salesforce Leads, and Salesforce Contacts - including recordId fields & the Demand Gen Status field (Just in case!)

Optionally, you could update Demand Gen Status on the Salesforce Lead and Contact records (Dataloader or similar) before setting up the HubSpot <> SFDC mapping in order to ensure that the data in either platform isn't overwritten to blank by accident. I think in your case, this would only happen if you decided to set the mapping to "Always prefer salesforce," but it may be worth doing regardless just to be safe... hope this helps!

0 Upvotes
cretellajt
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks for the help @JCuneo & @rachelmuradyan - I have two fields with the same API name on Lead and Contact, but only the field used in the integration mapping is being populated (the field on the Contact object).

Have you discovered any other criteria required to ensure the mapping will apply to the field on both objects? 

PS I find it VERY odd that this issue isn't documented more online... Seems it would be pretty common!

0 Upvotes
ChrisLuce

SOLVE

@Ben_M I don't see the "Map Lead Fields" option in the ObjectManager.  Just see the listing of Lead Fields. Where is the Mapping?

Thanks

0 Upvotes
JCuneo

SOLVE

ObjectManager > Leads > Fields and Relationships

Then you'll find the Map Lead Fields button over on the righthand side, at least in Lightning.

I'm not positive this actually solves the issue described in the question; Map Lead Fields appears to control how fields are mapped when the conversion process occurs, but it doesn't seem to bifurcate the sync of Hubspot Contacts to Leads+Contacts in SF, at least from what I can tell. My experimentation indicates that @rachelmuradyan's insight works.

Ben_M
Key Advisor

SOLVE

@ChrisLuce - if you don't see the option listed above then you may not have permission in your instance. In this case I would contact your salesforce administrator.

0 Upvotes
rachelmuradyan
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Another solution is that as long as both of those fields have the same internal name (i.e., last_name) you only need to create one mapping in HubSpot.Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 9.58.42 AM.png

0 Upvotes
Ben_M
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

This setting is actually in Salesforce.  If you go to the Object Manager --> Leads --> Map Lead Fields you will be able to set the mapping there to the Contact Object.

0 Upvotes