Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

UnicornMarketer
Membre

Make a contact list of Free Email Domains?

Résolue

I know Hubspot allows you to block free email domains on forms, but in an effort to clean junk contacts out of our database (we're at 51K contacts), I want to build a list of all free domain emails to remove them from our database.

I found a list of all the domains here:  https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/forms/what-domains-are-blocked-when-using-the-for...

When I create a list based on Contact>Email>Contains, and then paste all of the free domains in, Hubspot just sort of freezes on me, like it's too much information to process.

Is there a way to add Hubspot's existing list of free domains to build a contact list from as an easier way for Hubspot to process this filter?

1 Solution acceptée
AM8
Solution
Contributeur de premier rang

Résolue

Hi @UnicornMarketer : I completely agree with you that this should be a HubSpot built in list that auto updates. But till that happes, you can build your own active list to solve this issue.  

<I checked and It works for both free CRM and HubSpot marketing >

Go to list and select Active list. Use the condition: Email Domain Contains: < List of all the free domains> ( Thanks to @HelenaLatimer  for helping with validating this list ) 

@Ramin You dont have to type in every single free email domain. It's impossible becasue there are 4746 domains on that list. Here is my solution for that. 
1. Copy the free domains from this list into an Excel file https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/forms/what-domains-are-blocked-when-using-the-for...
2. Use the formula  [ =A1&";" ]  in a diffrent column to add semicolon to the names of the free domains. 
3. Go through the list to delete any blank rows and clean your data ( it works, and doesnt freeze, but it may take a couple of minutes to process) 
4. Copy the column with semicolon and paste them into the list filter. 

Your list should work. 

If you want I can paste the values here too, let me know. 

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 12.33.06 PM.png

Hope this helps

Thank you.

-AM 

#Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.

Hope this helps
Thank you.
-AM8 
#Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.

Voir la solution dans l'envoi d'origine

19 Réponses
AM8
Solution
Contributeur de premier rang

Résolue

Hi @UnicornMarketer : I completely agree with you that this should be a HubSpot built in list that auto updates. But till that happes, you can build your own active list to solve this issue.  

<I checked and It works for both free CRM and HubSpot marketing >

Go to list and select Active list. Use the condition: Email Domain Contains: < List of all the free domains> ( Thanks to @HelenaLatimer  for helping with validating this list ) 

@Ramin You dont have to type in every single free email domain. It's impossible becasue there are 4746 domains on that list. Here is my solution for that. 
1. Copy the free domains from this list into an Excel file https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/forms/what-domains-are-blocked-when-using-the-for...
2. Use the formula  [ =A1&";" ]  in a diffrent column to add semicolon to the names of the free domains. 
3. Go through the list to delete any blank rows and clean your data ( it works, and doesnt freeze, but it may take a couple of minutes to process) 
4. Copy the column with semicolon and paste them into the list filter. 

Your list should work. 

If you want I can paste the values here too, let me know. 

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 12.33.06 PM.png

Hope this helps

Thank you.

-AM 

Hope this helps
Thank you.
-AM8 
JSmasal
Participant

Résolue

Amazing tip. I have typed / copy pasted so many lists one-by-one. This one is way too big to do that.

0 Votes
ShiranA
Contributeur | Partenaire solutions Diamond
Contributeur | Partenaire solutions Diamond

Résolue

OMG. This is priceless!
Someone give that man (or woman) a cookie!

0 Votes
Jonno_Price
Guide | Partenaire solutions Platinum
Guide | Partenaire solutions Platinum

Résolue

Thanks AM8 - this worked perfectly and took me 2 mins to create an active list of every contact with a free email domain. It is then easy to use this as exclusion list for lead routing etc. Nice one. 

Jonno Price
Growth London Ltd.
Platinum Hubspot Solutions Partner

Did my post help answer your query? Please help the community by marking it as a solution.

SmileUser
Participant

Résolue

Fortunately, HubSpot has now made it easier to download the list via .csv from the page you linked to - https://knowledge.hubspot.com/forms/what-domains-are-blocked-when-using-the-forms-email-domains-to-b...

But a built-in filter option would be nice.

PamCotton
Gestionnaire de communauté
Gestionnaire de communauté

Résolue

Hello @SmileUser 

Thank you for sharing this Knowledgebase with our Community users.

For the filter, I would highly recommend you to please post this idea at our ideas forum (here).

Our product team, who monitors the forum regularly, can read your specific use case and understand why this would be a useful functionality or change. It also helps other customers facing the same issue to advocate for its implementation on your behalf by upvoting on the thread as well.

Kindly,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

AgneB
Participant

Résolue

This is great advice, just done it myself and helps us loads to filter personal contact records. I would only suggest adding slight adjustment instead fo filtering by contains and all these listed options of domains to equals to, as some of our customer records were part of this "personal email list" while they were legit business account domains. Hope this helps!

JeremyP
Participant

Résolue

This would be great.  Also acceptable would be a workflow enrollment trigger of 'email domain = free' or a workflow logic condition of the same. 

Blocking free email domains is helpful for our sales team, but means the marketing team is constantly answering requests from people with free emails. I'd love to find a way to accept all emails, but route them differently based on free or not!

Ramin
Participant

Résolue

+1 on this.

A potentially easy workaround for this could be the contact property Email domain.

However, it's not actually practical because it's not possible to just paste a list of domains in there (doing so will result in Hubspot interpreting the entire list as one domain, which is ridiculous).

Instead, you need to add each domain and then hit enter before entering the next domain—super time-consuming and cumbersome UX 😕

ColinC
Participant

Résolue

Agree - would like to see a Workflow option to evaluate based on this, and for Lead Scoring so that those with a free domain can be given a negative value.

AirswiftRob
Contributeur

Résolue

I would like to see this as an automated list managed by HubSpot. It would make our lead automation process so much easier

Stacey08
Participant

Résolue

Yes, this needs to be an out-of-the-box list or setting we can use in making lists.

We need more upvotes to get this more attention!

Lorna
Membre

Résolue

Hey, I came across this because I'm having a similar problem with a large database. Does anyone know the answer to this problem?

anthonyrichards
Participant

Résolue

Hi, we're also looking for a response to this. 

We'd like to setup an enrollment trigger of filling out a specific form, then using an If/then branch to treat the list of free email providers differently for our MQL process. 

juanismoreno
Membre

Résolue

Hi! Did you ever get a response on this?

Please let me know!

aalvarado
Contributeur

Résolue

Has anyone found a fix for this? For some of our workflows, we would like to filter out free emails.

rohanpai
Membre

Résolue

Yes. I second this request.

There should be an out of the box list of contacts whose email domain is one of the ones listed on this page - https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/forms/what-domains-are-blocked-when-using-the-for...

It could be put to many uses. And HubSpot customers won't have to worry about maintaining or updating it. It will be automatically updated everytime HubSpot made a change.

An alternative would be to have a calculated out of the box contact property that is a "yes/no" field. If the contacts email domain is from the email domains to block list the value of that contact property is "yes" (may be the property is called - "Email domain is part of universal block list"

Josh
Expert reconnu | Partenaire solutions Platinum
Expert reconnu | Partenaire solutions Platinum

Résolue

Hi @UnicornMarketer,

Are you using HubSpot's Free CRM only, or do you also have Hubspot Marketing?

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.
HubSpot Platinum Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer

0 Votes
rui_uk
Participant

Résolue

Hi Josh,

Does it make any difference in this case?

0 Votes