List of contacts who opened any email in a month

Occasional Contributor

I'd like to create 1 list of people who received any email in a month, and another list of people who opened any email in a month, so I can roughly see engagement of all our emails.

When trying to create the list the closest property I can see is 'last email sent' and 'last email opened' but this isn't helpful as they may have received emails after that month end.

Has anyone found a work around for similar lists?

4 Replies 4
Top Contributor

Hi @lauraparsons

There is likely to be a better way than what I'm thinking but if not it could work.

If you send emails via Workflows rather than direct from the Email tool you could put them in a list named something like Sent [name of email]. Also create a custom contact property that is a date type called something like "sent email date". In the workflow, after putting them in the list, create a set contact property action and set the value of the sent email date custom field to today's date (ie not a static date, rather select Date of step).

The list could the be one of the enrolment criteria for another workflow that has 12 if/then branches (one for each month).

the If logic would be If the contact property "sent email date" is between 1 January 2017 and 31 January 2017. Then under that branch if yes, add the to the list "received an email in January. If no, do another if/then branch for February and so on. I estimate it would take about 30 min to set up and then you'd need to go in every year and update the dates (say 10 min work). Also, as you add new emails you'd need to add them to the specific email list (that you create when setting up the email) and add that list to the enrolment criteria of the secomd workflow.

Then just duplicate the workflows for Emails opened.

It sounds more complicated than it actually is. Let me know if you need further clarification, and I hope someone else might have an easier way :-)

Samantha Alford
Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @Samantha_Alford

That sounds like a really interesting work around. My only hesitation is having to manually add every email we have - I'd really love an 'any email at all' option rather than having to specify as this is the part that I imagine would take the bulk of the time. If I could do that your workflows sound like they do just what I need.

Thank you for your help

Laura

Top Contributor

You're very welcome @lauraparsons,

the only other thing that didn't occur to me the other day is that I wonder if the Reporting Add-on would give you this information?  I haven't tried it, and you might not be interested in paying the extra for it anyway, but if it's something that you might consider, perhaps try the free trial that comes with it to see if it will give you what you're after.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Sam

Samantha Alford
Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I'm reasonably certain this method wouldn't work either. The custom workflow would allow you to count if someone was sent an email in a given month, but not the number of emails they were sent in a month. The person can only get on the list one time. If i email them again they wouldn't show up on that list again for email #2 or #3 for that matter. This is a pretty big challenge. One we'll probably try to solve.

0 Upvotes