Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

LoisJ
Contributor

Linking companies

SOLVE

I'm wondering if there's any way to record relationships between companies in Hubspot, ideally as a link to the related company profile?

My scenario is that I'm looking to record business partners that we work with collaboratively to develop opportunities with mutual clients. I'd like to link their company profile with the client company profile as the 'partner of record'. The best I've come up with so far is creating a custom property for "partner" and manually populating the pick list.

If anyone has alternate ideas/experience I'd be really interested to discuss further.

Thanks,

Lois

2 Accepted solutions
MayPascaud
Solution
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Linking companies

SOLVE

Hi @LoisJ, I think you've hit the nail on the head with this - though HubSpot has just come out with the option to merge company records in the CRM, there is not yet an option to associate two Company record with each other. As of now, therefore, your workaround of creating a custom property that would allow you to indicate these associations is the way to go. I also think that this would make a great addition to the Ideas board in the Community, so I would definitely encourage you to post this on there when you get the chance!

May

View solution in original post

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Linking companies

SOLVE

Hi @LoisJ,

Great news, it's now possible to associate records of the same type, see this public beta:

Tickets | Custom Objects | Contacts | Deals | Companies

[Public Beta] Associate Records of the Same Object Type

Oct 18, 2023

What is it?

Same object associations give customers the ability to associate a CRM record to another record of the same object type e.g. a contact to a contact or a deal to a deal. These new associations are available for contacts, companies, deals, tickets and custom objects and can be leveraged across core HubSpot tools. Watch a short video on how this works.

Why does it matter?

Customers want HubSpot to reflect the reality of their business; this often includes a web of contacts or a collection of related companies. Without the ability to connect contacts to contacts, companies to companies and other objects to their same type, customers have been missing key relationships in HubSpot.

How does it work?

Users can now create associations between records of the same type for contacts, companies, deals, tickets and custom objects. On each record, you’ll see a new section in the right sidebar which reflects the type of record you’re on e.g. you’ll see a contacts section while on a contact record.

Customers with at least one Pro or Enterprise subscription can also create either a single label which is the same in both directions e.g. two contacts have the label colleague or a pair of labels representing two sides of a specific relationship e.g. student and teacher. When applying labels, you’re able to preview the application of the labels to ensure it’s correct before creating a new associations.

Same object associations can be leveraged in the following features:

• Calculated properties
  • Custom Report Builder
  • Import
  • Index Pages
  • Lists
  • Records
  • Workflows

Who gets it?

All hubs and tiers can create associations between records of the same object type (with custom objects being available to enterprise tiers only). Labels are only available to Pro+ customers as well as in custom report builder and workflow support.

You can find this beta here:

karstenkoehler_4-1697690365566.png

Have a great day!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Linking companies

SOLVE

Hi @LoisJ,

Great news, it's now possible to associate records of the same type, see this public beta:

Tickets | Custom Objects | Contacts | Deals | Companies

[Public Beta] Associate Records of the Same Object Type

Oct 18, 2023

What is it?

Same object associations give customers the ability to associate a CRM record to another record of the same object type e.g. a contact to a contact or a deal to a deal. These new associations are available for contacts, companies, deals, tickets and custom objects and can be leveraged across core HubSpot tools. Watch a short video on how this works.

Why does it matter?

Customers want HubSpot to reflect the reality of their business; this often includes a web of contacts or a collection of related companies. Without the ability to connect contacts to contacts, companies to companies and other objects to their same type, customers have been missing key relationships in HubSpot.

How does it work?

Users can now create associations between records of the same type for contacts, companies, deals, tickets and custom objects. On each record, you’ll see a new section in the right sidebar which reflects the type of record you’re on e.g. you’ll see a contacts section while on a contact record.

Customers with at least one Pro or Enterprise subscription can also create either a single label which is the same in both directions e.g. two contacts have the label colleague or a pair of labels representing two sides of a specific relationship e.g. student and teacher. When applying labels, you’re able to preview the application of the labels to ensure it’s correct before creating a new associations.

Same object associations can be leveraged in the following features:

• Calculated properties
  • Custom Report Builder
  • Import
  • Index Pages
  • Lists
  • Records
  • Workflows

Who gets it?

All hubs and tiers can create associations between records of the same object type (with custom objects being available to enterprise tiers only). Labels are only available to Pro+ customers as well as in custom report builder and workflow support.

You can find this beta here:

karstenkoehler_4-1697690365566.png

Have a great day!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

jp8638a
Participant

Linking companies

SOLVE

they should really work on this

jp8638a
Participant

Linking companies

SOLVE

can they have multiple parents? the companies?

HMUE
Contributor

Linking companies

SOLVE

LoisJ, this is a great topic. I was searching for this feature from another point of view: We have to manage the relations between advertisers and agencies in charge for them. Or the relations between a corporate group and their subsidiary companies. Both important ecosystem information as well in the sales process and filtering for marketing lists. Unfortunately, I found no way to get this managed. 

Regards, Helmut / HMUE

0 Upvotes
MayPascaud
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Linking companies

SOLVE

@HMUE and @LoisJ, I actually have some good news for you on this front: we now have a Parent/Child Company association feature in beta! 

With this new release, you can now relate two companies to each other in HubSpot CRM, "parent-child" style. You can link companies in your database to one another other with just a few clicks. The new function enables you to navigate between related companies quickly and easily, saving you time and unnecessary headache.

Read more about this here: http://ux.hubspot.com/beta/crm-parent-child-relationships

Best,

May

LoisJ
Contributor

Linking companies

SOLVE

Sounds good! Thanks May. 

Do you know when this is expected to graduate from beta to production?

Cheers,

Lois

0 Upvotes
MayPascaud
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Linking companies

SOLVE

Hi @LoisJ, we don't actually have any insight into when a feature might move into production - in order to stay on top of this, I would recommend subscribing to CRM product updates here: https://www.hubspot.com/product-updates. 

Best,

May

0 Upvotes
lindsay_tiz
Participant

Linking companies

SOLVE

Hi May,

It looks like this feature was added. Great!

Now my question is - is it on the roadmap to be able to add NEW contacts as related (parent/daughter) companies? 

It looks like you offer this in the regular search functionality - i.e. if I search for a company and it doesn't appear, I can easily click "add new" company to create it. 

In the current Related Companies feature, if the company is new, it looks like I would have to exit out o fthe company record, create a new company, and then go back in and add it.

Can you confirm this is the case, and if you are looking into fixing that at all?

Lindsay

0 Upvotes
MayPascaud
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Linking companies

SOLVE

Hi @lindsay_tiz, indeed, at this time there is no way to create a new child company from within the parent company - the child needs to be created first, and then associated. That being said, I think that this would be a great addition to the CRM, and would definitely encourage you to post about your use case for this feature on our Ideas Forum - our product teams take customer feedback very seriously, and use the forum to prioritize their work on certain areas of the product.

Thank you!

May

MayPascaud
Solution
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Linking companies

SOLVE

Hi @LoisJ, I think you've hit the nail on the head with this - though HubSpot has just come out with the option to merge company records in the CRM, there is not yet an option to associate two Company record with each other. As of now, therefore, your workaround of creating a custom property that would allow you to indicate these associations is the way to go. I also think that this would make a great addition to the Ideas board in the Community, so I would definitely encourage you to post this on there when you get the chance!

May

LoisJ
Contributor

Linking companies

SOLVE

Thank you May. I'll get onto that 🙂