Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

pascallap

Link contacts together (same household)

SOLVE

Hi guys,

In my last CRM, i was able to create a relationship between two contacts, such as a couple in the same household or same address. I want to see that this client is the wife of this client, or this client is the father of that client, etc.

Can this be achieved?

Thanks!

3 Accepted solutions
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

If it's easier for you to make associations outside of HubSpot, you might be able to hack together a solution in Zapier. An external data source - or even something like a new row in a Google doc - might help handle the automation of updating records, if there's someone/something responsible for providing the associated values you're looking for. 

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
DAnaGuiloff
Solution
Top Contributor | Partner

SOLVE

Hey @pascallap@rfourie,

I came across your post and was wondering if you had considered using the "Company" Object as a way to tie them together.

Since I don't know your business I will make some assumptions, including that you sell something (service/product) and you want to do some kind of outreach to contacts.

While your situation may be more B2C (based on how you described what you are trying to do), I have come across this with a previous client trying to make a similar association of "Household".

So Company = Household; Contact = Family Member.

Because you can associate Contacts with a Company in HubSpot, there are built-in association points using this thought process. Each contact can have:

• their own deals (purchases)
  • their own contact properties
  • their own engagement record/timeline with your company

Hopefully you make use of Personas to know your target audience, but you could take it further and use "Job Title" as their "Family Role" so you know the contact's association to each other.

Then you can use lists & views to find contacts with whom you are looking to do business.

Obviously there would be some manual work to do the association, since it is not as likley for a Household to have their own domain/website URL, but I hope this gets you closer to what you are looking to achieve without moving data outside of HubSpot.

**If it makes sense to know this for your business. You could also use Parent/Child Companies for Adult Family Members that move out, so you can keep that initial relationship tie to the original company.

MiaSrebrnjak
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi, 

I just wanted to update this thread and share that it is now possible to associate multiple companies with a contact, you can find more information here

Cheers
Mia, Community Team

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, indem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by
changing your language settings

24 Replies 24
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @pascallap and everyone,

Great news, it's now possible to associate records of the same type, see this public beta:

Tickets | Custom Objects | Contacts | Deals | Companies

[Public Beta] Associate Records of the Same Object Type

Oct 18, 2023

What is it?

Same object associations give customers the ability to associate a CRM record to another record of the same object type e.g. a contact to a contact or a deal to a deal. These new associations are available for contacts, companies, deals, tickets and custom objects and can be leveraged across core HubSpot tools. Watch a short video on how this works.

Why does it matter?

Customers want HubSpot to reflect the reality of their business; this often includes a web of contacts or a collection of related companies. Without the ability to connect contacts to contacts, companies to companies and other objects to their same type, customers have been missing key relationships in HubSpot.

How does it work?

Users can now create associations between records of the same type for contacts, companies, deals, tickets and custom objects. On each record, you’ll see a new section in the right sidebar which reflects the type of record you’re on e.g. you’ll see a contacts section while on a contact record.

Customers with at least one Pro or Enterprise subscription can also create either a single label which is the same in both directions e.g. two contacts have the label colleague or a pair of labels representing two sides of a specific relationship e.g. student and teacher. When applying labels, you’re able to preview the application of the labels to ensure it’s correct before creating a new associations.

Same object associations can be leveraged in the following features:

• Calculated properties
  • Custom Report Builder
  • Import
  • Index Pages
  • Lists
  • Records
  • Workflows

Who gets it?

All hubs and tiers can create associations between records of the same object type (with custom objects being available to enterprise tiers only). Labels are only available to Pro+ customers as well as in custom report builder and workflow support.

You can find this beta here:

karstenkoehler_4-1697690365566.png

Have a great day everyone!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

MRiley
Participant

SOLVE

Really need to be able to do this. The current association is only useful if you are B2B. What about all the B2C HubSpot customers!

BrenonSavell
Participant

SOLVE

I know this is a late addition, but with the release of Custom Objects came an interface to create custom associations. You can find the endpoints here: https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/api/crm/crm-custom-objects

DAnaGuiloff

SOLVE

@RKantner That is true. You'd have to make sacrifices to use Company as the family.

The good news, there is always another option. HubSpot introduced custom objects since my original solution last year, and you can now create your own "Family" Object as long as you have Enterprise. You can check out the details about using custom objects here.

Just be sure to add the custom "Family" Object to your data mapping guide so everyone knows how to make the associations in your system.

DAnaGuiloff
Solution

SOLVE

Hey @pascallap@rfourie,

I came across your post and was wondering if you had considered using the "Company" Object as a way to tie them together.

Since I don't know your business I will make some assumptions, including that you sell something (service/product) and you want to do some kind of outreach to contacts.

While your situation may be more B2C (based on how you described what you are trying to do), I have come across this with a previous client trying to make a similar association of "Household".

So Company = Household; Contact = Family Member.

Because you can associate Contacts with a Company in HubSpot, there are built-in association points using this thought process. Each contact can have:

• their own deals (purchases)
  • their own contact properties
  • their own engagement record/timeline with your company

Hopefully you make use of Personas to know your target audience, but you could take it further and use "Job Title" as their "Family Role" so you know the contact's association to each other.

Then you can use lists & views to find contacts with whom you are looking to do business.

Obviously there would be some manual work to do the association, since it is not as likley for a Household to have their own domain/website URL, but I hope this gets you closer to what you are looking to achieve without moving data outside of HubSpot.

**If it makes sense to know this for your business. You could also use Parent/Child Companies for Adult Family Members that move out, so you can keep that initial relationship tie to the original company.

RKantner
Participant

SOLVE

I discovered a problem while trying this.... a Contact can only be associated with 1 Company at a time. So a choice must be made: associate the Contact with their Household Company, OR, their real work-place Company.... but not both.

0 Upvotes
MiaSrebrnjak
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi, 

I just wanted to update this thread and share that it is now possible to associate multiple companies with a contact, you can find more information here

Cheers
Mia, Community Team

Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, indem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst

IMaxwell

SOLVE

Here is what I did and I hope this helps until such time as HubSpot makes the Household feature available to group contacts who are in the same family. 

IMPORTANT: I am on the "Starter" level membership for Sales and Marketing hubs so this should work for anyone at tihs level or above. I am not sure it will work on the Free level of membership. Please try and let me know.

I used Companies to group contacts in a household

1. In company properties, create "Household" as a option in the drop down list for "Industry"
  2. In company properties, create "Household" as a option in the drop down list for "Type"
  3. When creating a household "Company" I put this as the description: "This is the household "company" to link this family together in HubSpot - waiting for the household feature to be available."

The first two steps of adding the properties should help generate lists to at least see all the household "companies." 

It is important to note that at my "starter level," I am able to have more than one company linked to a contact. So now in the test case I used, I can see the contact and the actual company where they work. From within the same contact record, in the right pane, I hit "add compnay" and made the the household "Smith Household." Now they are both there and when I go to the Smith Household record I can see all the family members who "work" there. 

Hope this helps - super simple workaround for now.  

All the best to you. 

ArnauVia
Participant

SOLVE

Hi everyone,

And thank you for your contributions (specially @IMaxwell )

While this workaround is important to my company, we need a lot of different contact relationships. Our business is completely based on relationships, family and others such us introducers,  friends of the customers, colleagues etc. Furthermore, one contact my have a friendship with another and the latter have another friend, but, of course, this does not mean that the first and the last are related, so creating friendship relationship doesnt seem so easy.

Well I just hope hubspot include some kind of relationship among contacts, maybe not a full fledged realtionship with automations, but a least keeping track of them. 

If you have any ideas, I would really apreciate it.

Best,

Arnau

DianaGomez
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @IMaxwell hope you are doing well!

Thanks for sharing 🙂

Best, 

Diana

¿Sabías que la Comunidad está disponible en Español?
¡Participa hoy en conversaciones en el idioma de tu preferencia,cambiando el idioma en tus configuraciones!

Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
DAnaGuiloff

SOLVE

This is the best news I have heard all week!!! Thanks @MiaSrebrnjak 

MBernstein92
Participant

SOLVE

DAnaGuiloff, 

This solution works to associate the two contacts however, there is no way to create actions around this association. I cannot email the two contacts using a template through the association.

0 Upvotes
DAnaGuiloff

SOLVE

Hi @MBernstein92  What type of actions are you looking to do?

You can absolutely email, trigger a workflow, add to list....using this structure. You just have to remember, whatever you are doing, you are doing to the contact at an individual level, not to "both contacts at the same time".

Because the association is a customization of built-in functionality (a fancier way of saying workaround) you'll have to build some of the infrastructure to match your customization so that the application takes your associations into account.

So if you're trying to email "the LastName family head of household" you'll have to make sure they're associated with the LastName Company, then use the custom fields you created or fields you repurposed (like Job Title/Persona) to determine their association level (Head Of Household) and only pull those contacts into the list. Then you can treat those contacts like any others and pull in personalization tokens, etc.

Hope that helps you out. Definitely check out the new features with multiple associations, there is some great info in there that should help you with ideas.

Have a great one.

0 Upvotes
MiaSrebrnjak
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Of course, thank you for providing a great workaround @DAnaGuiloff🙂

0 Upvotes
mkelly
Participant

SOLVE

This is a great idea!  I can use the X household or X Family as the Company name and associate the contacts to that.   This will help when multiple contacts in the same house are inquiring about the same proposal, etc. 

0 Upvotes
DAnaGuiloff

SOLVE

Precisely. Glad it will help.

Be sure to map it out and make sure anyone working with the data objects (Contacts, Companies, Deals) understands the relationships. It will help keep your data cleaner and more usable.

Happy HubSpotting! 🙂

0 Upvotes
rfourie
Participant

SOLVE

we desperatly need this solution I don't understand why this function is not available not everyone is a company so if you can associate a company your should be able to linkd contacts.  Very sad that this hs been talked about now for 2 years +++ and hubspot still not updated.

Jeffb
Contributor

SOLVE

I talked to support and its not a feature that currently exists but i really want it. I know other CRM's have this, I have seen it in Insightly and others so seems like a really obvious thing to add especially if you are doing b2c sales and cannot relate through a company

mkelly
Participant

SOLVE

This would be a great feature.  The reason I started searching these posts is that I deal with a lot of homeowners and here and there I have multiple customers from one household that I'm in contact with.   Could a group be added called Household, just as there is one called Companies?

bradmin
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi, @pascallap. Relationship fields are not listed among the data types of HubSpot properties. While there are some built-in relationships that exist natively within the tool (like contact-company or company-deal associations), these are not editable, nor is creating custom relationships possible. 

Unless you have an external integration creating associations and syncing those to HubSpot (like the native Salesforce integration), this won't be something you could achieve in a practical way. While you could update data on individual contacts containing the URL of other HubSpot contacts, you'd be responsible for manually providing and updating values. 

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.
0 Upvotes