Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

pascallap

Link contacts together (same household)

SOLVE

Hi guys,

In my last CRM, i was able to create a relationship between two contacts, such as a couple in the same household or same address. I want to see that this client is the wife of this client, or this client is the father of that client, etc.

Can this be achieved?

Thanks!

3 Accepted solutions
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

If it's easier for you to make associations outside of HubSpot, you might be able to hack together a solution in Zapier. An external data source - or even something like a new row in a Google doc - might help handle the automation of updating records, if there's someone/something responsible for providing the associated values you're looking for. 

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
DAnaGuiloff
Solution
Top Contributor | Partner
Top Contributor | Partner

SOLVE

Hey @pascallap@rfourie,

I came across your post and was wondering if you had considered using the "Company" Object as a way to tie them together.

Since I don't know your business I will make some assumptions, including that you sell something (service/product) and you want to do some kind of outreach to contacts.

While your situation may be more B2C (based on how you described what you are trying to do), I have come across this with a previous client trying to make a similar association of "Household".

So Company = Household; Contact = Family Member.

Because you can associate Contacts with a Company in HubSpot, there are built-in association points using this thought process. Each contact can have:

• their own deals (purchases)
  • their own contact properties
  • their own engagement record/timeline with your company

Hopefully you make use of Personas to know your target audience, but you could take it further and use "Job Title" as their "Family Role" so you know the contact's association to each other.

Then you can use lists & views to find contacts with whom you are looking to do business.

Obviously there would be some manual work to do the association, since it is not as likley for a Household to have their own domain/website URL, but I hope this gets you closer to what you are looking to achieve without moving data outside of HubSpot.

**If it makes sense to know this for your business. You could also use Parent/Child Companies for Adult Family Members that move out, so you can keep that initial relationship tie to the original company.

MiaSrebrnjak
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi, 

I just wanted to update this thread and share that it is now possible to associate multiple companies with a contact, you can find more information here

Cheers
Mia, Community Team

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, indem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by
changing your language settings

24 Replies 24
pascallap

SOLVE

How would you go about creating a field and linking the other contact? What would the field type be called?

Can we link the other contact and also add a text such as wife, husband, etc?

0 Upvotes
bradmin
Key Advisor

SOLVE

To do this - which, again, I don't think makes practical sense as a sustainable solution - you'd create a custom text property first. Let's say you wanted to associate Contact A and Contact B. On the new custom text property on Contact A, you'd add the in-app URL for Contact B and save changes. 

I don't recommend this approach, as it's not anything you can automate with out-of-the-box tools (although if developer resources exist, it can be more manageable with HubSpot APIs), and you would have to copy and paste a lot of URLs. That wouldn't apply just for the initial set of records, but if you merged or deleted HubSpot contacts, you'd have to update the custom text values, too. 

pascallap

SOLVE

Yeah I don't think this would be sustainable. It's unfortunate that the Hubspot user field is only for users and not contacts as well. That would have solved my problem immediately. Thanks for your help.

bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

If it's easier for you to make associations outside of HubSpot, you might be able to hack together a solution in Zapier. An external data source - or even something like a new row in a Google doc - might help handle the automation of updating records, if there's someone/something responsible for providing the associated values you're looking for. 

0 Upvotes