Hola! ¡Tenemos nuestra Comunidad en Español!

Link contacts together (same household)

SOLVE
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi guys,

In my last CRM, i was able to create a relationship between two contacts, such as a couple in the same household or same address. I want to see that this client is the wife of this client, or this client is the father of that client, etc.

Can this be achieved?

Thanks!

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Esteemed Advisor

If it's easier for you to make associations outside of HubSpot, you might be able to hack together a solution in Zapier. An external data source - or even something like a new row in a Google doc - might help handle the automation of updating records, if there's someone/something responsible for providing the associated values you're looking for. 

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.
0 Upvotes
6 Replies
Esteemed Advisor

Hi, @pascallap. Relationship fields are not listed among the data types of HubSpot properties. While there are some built-in relationships that exist natively within the tool (like contact-company or company-deal associations), these are not editable, nor is creating custom relationships possible. 

Unless you have an external integration creating associations and syncing those to HubSpot (like the native Salesforce integration), this won't be something you could achieve in a practical way. While you could update data on individual contacts containing the URL of other HubSpot contacts, you'd be responsible for manually providing and updating values. 

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

How would you go about creating a field and linking the other contact? What would the field type be called?

Can we link the other contact and also add a text such as wife, husband, etc?

0 Upvotes
Esteemed Advisor

To do this - which, again, I don't think makes practical sense as a sustainable solution - you'd create a custom text property first. Let's say you wanted to associate Contact A and Contact B. On the new custom text property on Contact A, you'd add the in-app URL for Contact B and save changes. 

I don't recommend this approach, as it's not anything you can automate with out-of-the-box tools (although if developer resources exist, it can be more manageable with HubSpot APIs), and you would have to copy and paste a lot of URLs. That wouldn't apply just for the initial set of records, but if you merged or deleted HubSpot contacts, you'd have to update the custom text values, too. 

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

Yeah I don't think this would be sustainable. It's unfortunate that the Hubspot user field is only for users and not contacts as well. That would have solved my problem immediately. Thanks for your help.

Esteemed Advisor

If it's easier for you to make associations outside of HubSpot, you might be able to hack together a solution in Zapier. An external data source - or even something like a new row in a Google doc - might help handle the automation of updating records, if there's someone/something responsible for providing the associated values you're looking for. 

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

I talked to support and its not a feature that currently exists but i really want it. I know other CRM's have this, I have seen it in Insightly and others so seems like a really obvious thing to add especially if you are doing b2c sales and cannot relate through a company