Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

SteveT6
Participant

How to trigger workflow only if property was previously empty

SOLVE

Hi, I am looking at how to create a workflow where it is triggered only when a property was previously empty rather than changed to a specific value. There are two ways I have found but I wanted top see if these are correct or if there is a simpler solution I am missing.

1 - Add to workflow when the property is empty then add a if/then branches so if it changes it follows certain routes - this makes every contact in the DB get enrolled and a large proportion will not have the field change

2 - Create a list where if the property is empty contacts are added and then run a trigger of if they are on the list in last (period of time) and the property gets changed to x - this is not tested 

Any help or best practice direction would be great

Thanks

Steve

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @SteveT6,

The first option should work, yes, if you use the "Delay until event happens" action in workflows:

karstenkoehler_0-1638450241385.png

I've found this to be unreliable at times so I'd recommend testing this option thorougly.

Your second proposed solution should also work if this is a static list: Use a first workflow to add new contacts (Create date is known) with an empty field to a static list. The second workflow would then pick up contacts when the field value changes from empty to not empty; the enrollment would be based on membership in that list and the fact that the property value is known. It would them remove them from the list – after enrolling them. (The list cannot be active because as soon as the value would be known, the contact would leave the list.)

Personally, I would opt for this second option, simply because it seems more sturdy.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
3 Replies 3
SteveT6
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks Karsten - I will opt for the second route. Might be nice simple feature addition 'property has changed from null' I understand could add a lot of variables/complexity but presume it is a common situation in workflows.

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Definitely, @SteveT6, I would also find this useful.

If you consider this thread closed, you can make it easier for others to find this information by marking my earlier post as a solution. I'd appreciate it!

Have a great day!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @SteveT6,

The first option should work, yes, if you use the "Delay until event happens" action in workflows:

karstenkoehler_0-1638450241385.png

I've found this to be unreliable at times so I'd recommend testing this option thorougly.

Your second proposed solution should also work if this is a static list: Use a first workflow to add new contacts (Create date is known) with an empty field to a static list. The second workflow would then pick up contacts when the field value changes from empty to not empty; the enrollment would be based on membership in that list and the fact that the property value is known. It would them remove them from the list – after enrolling them. (The list cannot be active because as soon as the value would be known, the contact would leave the list.)

Personally, I would opt for this second option, simply because it seems more sturdy.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes