Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

GBowden

How to send different emails to related company contacts vs related contacts in a workflow

I have a custom object ("trip") that is related to both contacts (m2m) and companies (one company per trip)

I'd like to trigger two separate workflows based on a date field in the trip object.

1. 7 days befor the date, I'd like to send the directly related contacts an email
2. 14 days before the date, I'd like to send the related company contacts an email

How could I do this? The first task is simple enough, but the second one has me stumped.

I can run a company based workflow, but that will only trigger if "any" related trip objects match the 14 days before criteria. So it would need to be a trip based workflow, but I can't see how I could only send an external email to the related company contacts..

0 Upvotes
1 Reply 1
FelipeFelix
Top Contributor

How to send different emails to related company contacts vs related contacts in a workflow

Hi @GBowden!

Nice to see more users using Custom Objects! 😄

Yep, you are right. The workflow will just send an email to associated Contacts. I think you have two options here:
1. Associate the Company Contacts to your Custom Object too. But your visualization will be a little messy.

2. Using your Custom Object workflow to set a property value in your Company and then use another Company based workflow to send emails to associated contacts based on that property (and after that you should configure your workflow to clear the property value so it could be used again for future trips).
This last one is not the best option if you have a high frequency of new trips associated with every company as two workflows should run to complete this and they have delays.

Or you can create a new object with the same information as the first trip but just with Company Contacts. But this probably just can be done using API.

I know none of the options is a very pretty solution, but I don't see another way to do that.

Best,

Felipe Felix