Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

DanPronovost
Participant

How to identify active contacts for the new Marketing Hub with Contacts

Hello All:

We have been chatting with our sales rep about the new Marketing Hub with Contacts, and considering switching to this program.

I ran the elegibility workflow provided, and it was less than worthless! It ends with requiring me to define a Contacts List that identifies my active contacts.

So, I tried to make a List that replicates what I think the new program would do over time to mark contacts:

- Add any contact that is or was in any marketing campaign or sequence (if sequences make contacts active) we've ever sent.

- Add any contact that is or was part of a workflow.

- Any other CRM usage that would have triggered 'active' in the new program.

Sadly, there is no way to make a List and say 'add contacts that were part of any campaign'. You have to pick them individually, and we've had hundreds of campaigns!!

Worse, I cannot find any proper documentation that really technically tells me what contacts will get marked active, and how I would in practice use the CRM with this payment model (how much work is it for me to manage the active list? Where is the setting? We use APIs to add contacts and manage them remotely... will this impact things, will I have to change my code to handle this? Will this cost my marketing team more time to fuss and manage active contacts?)

The new Marketing Hub wwith Contacts pricing model seems compelling, but it is opaque and impossible to gauge the value for an existing customer with active usage.

Anyone else having this problem evaluating this pricing model, or have suggestions?

And, there is no way to 

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
DanPronovost
Participant

Thank you Ben for the feedback. It is appreciated!

I've tried to do the reverse thing (exclude contacts), but since I want to find contacts that have not been part of any campaigns  and sequences and workflows, I end up with the same problem in effect. I've done the usual lists to find contacts to exclude on simple metrics (like, no email address), but that doesn't get me very far.

I will probably just stay on the regular pricing plan, as the new one spooks me too much and I can't figure out the impact it would have on operations in terms of controlling the 'active' contacts list. Especially since the pricing for this option is not cheaper overall! One could end up paying a lot more if the 'active' contacts that Hubspot marks gets out of control... just too scary and opaque a process.

0 Upvotes
Ben_M
Key Advisor

I definitely hear what you are saying. I have not evaluated the new pricing model personally as we have just been used to the old way of doing things.  But with that said, I can feel your frustration with the filters and campaigns. I think the only way around what you are asking is to make a filter that looks for emails sent/opened/clicked by a particular contact instead of campaign participation in all campaigns. The only problem spot that could potentially arise is if you use the transactional email plugin which personally I think is a bit overpriced to the market. If you use that you would run into the same predicament that transactional emails cannot be excluded easily at the moment similar to your all campaigns query.

Have you considered possibily running the query in reverse?  Instead of trying to find the active contacts, find the ones you would want to exclude based on their profile data and then anyone who is not on that list is in your included active list?