Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

SimonS
Top Contributor | Elite Partner

How to create a workflow to assign a HubSpot team to a contact

SOLVE

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a workflow that assigns a "HubSpot team" (an out of the box property) to  a contact based on the specific form that was filled out and the page on which that form is published. 

The use case is: there are many countries using the same portal, all users of a country are member of a "HubSpot team" specific for that country so that they can only see and manage contacts of which that team has ownership.

While setting up this workflow I couldn't select the property "HubSpot team" to enter a value.

Any ideas how to get the desired result?

Cheers, Simon

1 Accepted solution
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi Simon, 

Unfortunately, you can't assign a contact to a team, only an individual user using the Contact Owner property. 

This is probably a good thing, as the saying goes, anything assigned to a multiple people is assigned to nobody. Contact owners can, of course, have tasks assigned to them and receive notification emails, whereas teams cannot. 

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
jruocco
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hello,

I just helped a customer figure out how to do this for his global teams. Hopefully, your scenario is similar to his so you can use a similar solution.

Customer scenario:

-Has 23 global teams organized by country e.g. His team in Spain also covers Columbia.

-Goal: allow his teams to only see the contacts that are owned by the team, and auto rotate leads to between the team members 

Solution:

To do this we need to first make an active list and then make a contact based workflow with the enrollment trigger being the list membership. We then clear the contact owner property and finally rotate leads between the proper team.

For my scenario, we made a list based on the property: IP Country

But you can use a different property that dictates team ownership. Maybe it's; IP state, favorite ice cream, zip code, etc...

Steps:

Create an >> active list

create list filter based on >> IP COUNTRY

Name List >> IP COUNTRY = (Insert team name here)

Make a >> contact based workflow from scratch

Workflow Step #1
enrollment criteria >>  List membership >> IP Country = (insert team name here)

Workflow Step #2
Clear contact property >> Clear HubSpot Owner

Workflow Step #3
Rotate leads between >> Team >> (Insert Team Name Here)

Result

Now, my customer, can auto rotate contact ownership between specific teams. So if 3 contacts from Spain & 2 contacts from Columbia are added to the database, they will be split amongst Team Spain.

I hope this is helpful!

Compuware
Top Contributor

SOLVE

I see this is solved directly from the form (can assign notifications to a team). However, I don't see how this is solved for workflows. I would like to send internal email notifications to certain teams. I would prefer not to have to maintain updating a list or the workflow with individual emails as people come and go.

0 Upvotes
Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Hi Simon, 

Unfortunately, you can't assign a contact to a team, only an individual user using the Contact Owner property. 

This is probably a good thing, as the saying goes, anything assigned to a multiple people is assigned to nobody. Contact owners can, of course, have tasks assigned to them and receive notification emails, whereas teams cannot. 

Hope this helps.

SimonS

SOLVE

Thanks for enlightning Phil!

There could be exeptions to the rule, as another saying goes 😉

It's possible to assign a contact to a team manually. And we can assign teams when importing contacts. So I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be automated. Too bad we can't automate the process. Our goal is to make 'containers' with contacts belonging to a team so that other users can't see, use or alter them. We would like to do this automatically when somebody fills a form at one of the pages that belongs to the team.

To clarify some more:

We have teams per country.

Every team member has contact access view, communicate and edit team only contacts. Which makes sure that we stay within GDPR regulation and can't mess-up or incidently use contacts that belong to other teams (countries). 

When assigning contacts to a contact owner other members of the team still wouldn't be able to view, communicate or edit those.

But I assume we should make static and/or smart lists and bulk edit existing contacts to manually assign them to a team.

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Late to this party, but ...

@SimonS
>"It's possible to assign a contact to a team manually."

Sorry. Cannot find any such functionality (either built-in or as an add-on).

It IS possible to assign a HubSpot User to a team. But assign a Contact, Company, Deal to a team (as the owner)? No such animal.

Contact, Company and Deal ownership is limited to HubSpot UsersOwnership by a Team isn't supported in any version of HubSpot

- see An overview of team management

- see Create and edit teams

Best,
Frank

-ref @roisinkirby 

Maybe we can pass the KB pages (cited above) to the doc team for a little more clarity around team assignment. Confusion on this functionality is fairly wide-spread.

hubspot-solutions-signature-mfrankjohnson-v03.png

www.MFrankJohnson.com

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
SimonS

SOLVE

Hi Frank,

Had to check for myself, different timezone so a little later 😉

We've been testing with our CAM the other week, at that moment it seemed to work. I just tried to reproduce the process but indeed it wasn't possible to assign just a team. Only when I assigned an owner to a contact the according team apeared in the property.

Things change quickly inside HubSpot or we did see something else...

Anyway, now I can assign a contact to an owner based on the form and page. Problem solved -sort of-

Thanks for all your responses and insights!

Phil_Vallender

SOLVE

Hi @SimonS

Yep, there are exceptions to every rule for sure!

This is new functionality that I'm still getting to grips with. 

Where do you currently set the team manually? In my portal, HubSpot Team is an un-editable field that is driven by the contact owner property. 

Cheers, Phil.