Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

primeintellect
Mitglied

How to confirm opt-ins in inherited list?

lösung

Hi everyone!

I just acquired a small business, and I'd like to import approx. 10k email addresses from the business' database into Hubspot CRM, and check that they want to be contacted with an opt-in confirmation campaign.

The seller of the business has never contacted these addresses before, so how should I go about this with Hubspot CRM?

Thanks for any insights you can provide.

0 Upvotes
1 Akzeptierte Lösung
roisinkirby
Lösung
HubSpot-Produktteam
HubSpot-Produktteam

lösung

Hey @primeintellect as long as this list was not purchased, you can go ahead and upload it to your portal to send the Permission Pass email 🙂

Lösung in ursprünglichem Beitrag anzeigen

9 Antworten
roisinkirby
HubSpot-Produktteam
HubSpot-Produktteam

lösung

Hey @primeintellect - welcome to the community!

In answer to your query, it is only permissible to email contacts through either the HubSpot Marketing tool or CRM if they a) are expecting to hear from your organization b) have a prior relationship with your business, having been contacted at least once in the last year. Lists acquireed by a third party, in this case an acquisition, are not valid lists for use. 

You'll be provided with a checklist (see below) when importing contacts to either the Sales or Marketing tools. 

You can import An opt-out list: this allows you to upload a .csv file of contacts who are disqualified from receiving email from you because they have opted out.

Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 10.05.25 AM.png

Let me know if I can be of any further help / information on this. 

primeintellect
Mitglied

lösung

@roisinkirby Ok, thanks for confirming! So it appears I'm in a bit of a catch-22 - I can't email this list until I have permission to contact them, and I'm unable to contact them to ask for their permission. Any thoughts as to how I can go about getting permission to contact this list?

roisinkirby
HubSpot-Produktteam
HubSpot-Produktteam

lösung

@primeintellect could you provide some further detail on the nature of how you acquired these contacts and their relationship to your business? Happy to help you out here. 

0 Upvotes
primeintellect
Mitglied

lösung

Sure thing - I received this list as a part of a small business I acquired (it's an iPhone app). The previous owner tells me the list has never been contacted via email. The list contains the email addresses of everyone who's logged in to actually use the app. There are both trial users, and paid users of the app contained in this list, so I'm pretty confident that with the right prompting in an opt-in email campaign many of these folks would remember who we are. But as I said, I need to be able to contact them to opt them in, first.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

0 Upvotes
roisinkirby
HubSpot-Produktteam
HubSpot-Produktteam

lösung

Hi @primeintellect I dug into this a little deeper with HubSpot's Email Deliverability team. 

What you will need to do in this case is send a Permission Pass email. Full details on this can be found here: https://www.spamhaus.org/whitepapers/permissionpass/

In the copy of the email, you should mention the app that the recipients are users of and that your company acquired the app. OThose who click on the email to confirm their opt-in will then be opted in and anyone who does not take action will be opted out. Those who don't opt-in can be archived in your portal or imported asn an opt-out list (full details here). 

Let me know if you have any specific questions about Permission Pass. The gist of it is that the recipient must take action to confirm their opt in.

Hope this helps! 🙂

0 Upvotes
primeintellect
Mitglied

lösung

Thanks very much @roisinkirby, this is helpful!

Yes, I'd found the same guide from Spamhaus myself prior to posting here - my only question is, how do I actually send out this Permission Pass campaign if I'm not able to import email subscribers into Hubspot (or really any CRM or ESP) that haven't explicitly opted in yet? Or would I be able to import them in order to conduct the Permission Pass campaign as my first send to those contacts?

roisinkirby
Lösung
HubSpot-Produktteam
HubSpot-Produktteam

lösung

Hey @primeintellect as long as this list was not purchased, you can go ahead and upload it to your portal to send the Permission Pass email 🙂

primeintellect
Mitglied

lösung

Fantastic, thanks so much for the help, @roisinkirby

roisinkirby
HubSpot-Produktteam
HubSpot-Produktteam

lösung

Happy to help! I'd encourage you to post to the Marketing Best Practices Board in future to share your experience with using Permission Pass emails. I'm sure it's a process that many of our customers are either a) unaware of or b) considering using. 

I would be interested to see how this process works for you 🙂