Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

omendozah

¿How to branch a workflow by a CTA in e-mail?

SOLVE

Hey dear community,

I'm working in a workflow. It contains an e-mail with 3 buttons that are linked to a different websites each one. Depending on which one the user choose, the workflow must branches in the selection of that button, so I could send them e-mails that are more relevant.

¿How can I do that? I was thinking in this two possible ways:

1. Branching by url the user visits: For example, one of the buttons are linked to a YouTube video, so I can put the url.

2. Branching by CTA in the email: As far I know it can't be possible to add a CTA in a e-mail (it would be awesome btw). I tried to add a HTML block and i paste the code that I got in CTA configurations.  ¿that maybe works?

I hope your kindly help in this question. Thanks so much!

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @omendozah 

You should be able to put a CTA in an email - however, all link clicks in a marketing email are tracked at the contact level anyone, so you don't need a CTA specifically to know who clicked what. 

That said, email click tracking is notoriously unreliable, using a CTA may have a positive affect on that, I'm not sure. 

Either way, the link click or the CTA click could be used in the branching logic in your workflow. 

You could also use the page visit, but this too is not 100% reliable depending on cookie settings/acceptance, etc. 

The only almost 100% reliable way to know who click a link to which page, is to get the visitor to submit a form once there. 

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

AM8
Solution
Top Contributor

SOLVE

@omendozah 

You have the option to create lists based on CTA clicks. Use the " member of the list" to branch your workflow.

( REMEMBER to add a delay before the branch so that you give the system time to update the lists after sending the emails. My suggestion is to NOT branch the same workflow, instead, create different workflows with enrollment criteria based on list membership. This way whenever your contact clicks on the email CTA they get enrolled in the right nurturing workflow and you don't have to worry about optimizing your workflow for time delay)
 Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 10.34.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 10.39.34 AM.png

Hope this helps
Thank you.
-AM8 
#Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
AM8
Solution
Top Contributor

SOLVE

@omendozah 

You have the option to create lists based on CTA clicks. Use the " member of the list" to branch your workflow.

( REMEMBER to add a delay before the branch so that you give the system time to update the lists after sending the emails. My suggestion is to NOT branch the same workflow, instead, create different workflows with enrollment criteria based on list membership. This way whenever your contact clicks on the email CTA they get enrolled in the right nurturing workflow and you don't have to worry about optimizing your workflow for time delay)
 Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 10.34.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 10.39.34 AM.png

Hope this helps
Thank you.
-AM8 
#Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.
Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @omendozah 

You should be able to put a CTA in an email - however, all link clicks in a marketing email are tracked at the contact level anyone, so you don't need a CTA specifically to know who clicked what. 

That said, email click tracking is notoriously unreliable, using a CTA may have a positive affect on that, I'm not sure. 

Either way, the link click or the CTA click could be used in the branching logic in your workflow. 

You could also use the page visit, but this too is not 100% reliable depending on cookie settings/acceptance, etc. 

The only almost 100% reliable way to know who click a link to which page, is to get the visitor to submit a form once there. 

Hope this helps.

omendozah

SOLVE

Hi @Phil_Vallender thanks so much for your answer.

Whenever I try to add a CTA by adding a HTML module in the e-mail builder, Hubspot shows me a message like this: You cannot use script tags, script within the body of the email.

So I'm not sure if a CTA works in a e-mail.

0 Upvotes
Phil_Vallender

SOLVE

Hi @omendozah 

You need to use insert > CTA in the email editor, rather than using the CTA embed code in the template builder - I think. Works for me.