Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

championuk
Mitglied

How do you import contacts and assign them to a property

lösung

Hi

I wanted to import some contacts and automatically assign a field in a property to them so that I don't have to manually go through as assign them.

The property is a drop down checkbox which as 2 options (Member and Non-Member). I want to assign them to one of these options.

Thanks

Chris

0 Upvotes
1 Akzeptierte Lösung
karstenkoehler
Lösung
Berühmtheit | Partner
Berühmtheit | Partner

lösung

Hi @championuk,

Yes, for each contact, in your new column just type the value.

The values in the spreadsheet column need to match the values of the property you've created exactly. If your HubSpot property can have two values, e.g. "Member" and "Non-Member", you should put the exact spelling / upper and lower case in the spreadsheet column, for example:

First Name Last Name E-Mail Membership status
John Doe johndoe@gmail.com Member
Jane Doe janedoe@gmail.com Non-Member

The column name / column header does not have to have the same name as the property. However, if it does, HubSpot will automatically recognize it and match automatically. (If it doesn't, you have to manually check during the import process whether the column is assigned to the corresponding property.)

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Lösung in ursprünglichem Beitrag anzeigen

5 Antworten
karstenkoehler
Berühmtheit | Partner
Berühmtheit | Partner

lösung

Hi @championuk,

If you know the value before importing, I'd recommend that you simply add another column to your import file and quickly fill in the values (member / non-member) manually for each contact there.

During the import process, make sure to match this new column to the corresponding property in HubSpot. HubSpot will then automagically fill in the value for each contact.

If you want to assign the value after importing, a workflow will probably be your best friend. The exact workflow steps depend on how you determine whether someone is a member or non-member.

If workflows aren't included in your HubSpot subscription, an alternative could be lists. Collecting members in one list, non-members in another, you can bulk-edit and assign the value to the property. (This also works from the contacts menu. Just select the contacts that you want to bulk edit!)

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

championuk
Mitglied

lösung

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Could you confirm the syntax for the property column? Do I literally just write the value eg. member in to the column before import?

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Lösung
Berühmtheit | Partner
Berühmtheit | Partner

lösung

Hi @championuk,

Yes, for each contact, in your new column just type the value.

The values in the spreadsheet column need to match the values of the property you've created exactly. If your HubSpot property can have two values, e.g. "Member" and "Non-Member", you should put the exact spelling / upper and lower case in the spreadsheet column, for example:

First Name Last Name E-Mail Membership status
John Doe johndoe@gmail.com Member
Jane Doe janedoe@gmail.com Non-Member

The column name / column header does not have to have the same name as the property. However, if it does, HubSpot will automatically recognize it and match automatically. (If it doesn't, you have to manually check during the import process whether the column is assigned to the corresponding property.)

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

championuk
Mitglied

lösung

Thank you so much!

0 Upvotes
doneill
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

lösung

Hey @championuk!

To do the above you could use a workflow. You could set up your enrollment trigger to enroll a contact when their Create Date = is known. This will enroll any new contacts to this workflow. 

The next action of the workflow would be to set the property value of the property you choose to update. More on this here.