Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

lkoh
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

How do I exclude a contact from an active list?

While it is not possible to manually remove a contact from an active list, you can use the following workarounds to use list logic to exclude the contact(s) from the list criteria.

1. Create a custom contact property and change the list criteria to exclude that property:

• Create a custom contact property.
  • Give the contact(s) a value for the custom property.
  • Add the following criteria to your active list: Contact Property | name of custom property is unknown.
  • Any contacts with a value for the custom property will be removed from the active list.

2. Exclude specific contacts based on email address:

Edit your active list and add the following criteria as an AND conditionContact Property | Email | is not equal to | email address of contact you want to exclude from the list.

If there are multiple contacts you'd like to exclude from your active list:

• Create a .csv file in Excel including the email addresses of the contacts to be removed from your smart list.
  • Import the list into HubSpot.
  • Add the following criteria as an AND condition to your active list: List Membership | Contact | is not a member of | name of your imported list.
10 Replies 10
michaeljay201
Contributor

It would be much easier and less complex from the user side to have the ability to add/remove list membership, much like the CURRENT ability add/remove subscriptions for individual contacts, both one-by-one and in bulk. Not sure why Hubspot continues to make list enrollment/management complicated...

joannelang4

Right - this is very complicated when all I need to do is remove a contact and add them to a different active list.

PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @joannelang4 

Thank you for your feedback, at the moment since active lists are based on properties that are being filtered, the suggestions above are workarounds at the moment.

I would highly recommend you to please post this idea at our ideas forum (here).

Our product team, who monitors the forum regularly, can read your specific use case and understand why this would be a useful functionality or change. It also helps other customers facing the same issue to advocate for its implementation on your behalf by upvoting on the thread as well.

Thank you,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

JDD17
Participant

Please do.  It's a bit ludicrous that we can't just remove a few people here and there.  Can't believe people have had to put up with this for so long.  

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

I was able to find this post in the HubSpot Community Ideas forum. Upvoting here will alert our Product Team to the popularity of this request. Doing so will also auto-notify you if/when this functionality becomes available within HubSpot. You may read more about how that review process works here.

Kindly,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

clioi
Top Contributor

@lkoh & @roisinkirby have you actually tested the second workaround (email address) ? I've edited my list but the contact I'm trying to exclude is still there, as @InboundConitex said. I can't remove this contact from our CRM but I also don't want any marketing emails to be sent to him. Thanks

jenniferfuqua
Contributor

A trick to ensure you don't email someone on an active list is to exclude them in the email distribution list. Or, even add the contact(s) to a Static list and use this as your exclude for the email(s). Just a thought. Another way to do it is to create a Static list to start, then get it where you want and then create an Active list.

InboundConitex

How long does it take for this rule to remove the contact from the smart list?  I added the contact's email address to the list criteria for exclusion and saved the change, but he's still showing up on the list.

jenniferfuqua
Contributor

Hi, did this ever work for you? I'm testing it with an Active List (event invitation) and it doesn't appear to be working. Any insight you have from this is greatly appreciated.

0 Upvotes
roisinkirby
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Thanks for sharing @lkoh!

0 Upvotes