Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

bbaggettgo
Participant

How can I enroll subscribers into new workflows based on lead score?

SOLVE

I'm racking my brain on the best way to do this and I'm wondering if anyone has had experience or can offer a solution.

----------

Our new subscribers will go through a welcome series workflow. We have included emails that cover each aspect of our product. The goal is to score contacts based on their perceived pain point (based on actions). [note: if they convert at any point, we ask for their pain point on the form]

So if a contact opens the email about Email Marketing, they're giving a score of 1 in the Email Marketing contact property. If they click through, we add an additional 2 points. So the contact could end up with:

• Email marketing: 3
  • Marketing automation 1
  • Customer relationship: 6

In this case, we'd want to put the contact in our Customer relationship workflow because their perceived pain point is in that category. I'm not seeing an easy way to do this. The lead scoring included with Hubspot is an overall score and we're looking to score them based on categories. 

So they'll get the welcome series emails, and as long as they engage (but don't convert), we'll add them to a pain point series. 

Any suggestions? 

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
shearn
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

In my experience, if I wanted to do multi-product/feature Lead Scoring I wouldn't use HubSpot's current Lead Scoring (unless you want to have an overall picture of how contacts are engaging with you). It get's very complex (Workflows, Lists, custom property values, etc.) because you're trying to adapt HubSpot's 'simple' scoring methodology to your businesses unique scoring scenario. There are so many different scenarios and even then it will never be a perfect solution because of limitations of the system.

In your scenario, it appears you're looking to compare the values of multiple contact properties to each other and then based on their values determine which one is the higher value in order to place them in the appropriate workflow. But, there are so many different combinations that it would be incredibly difficult to sort. Like you said they could have a 3, 1, 6 combination. Or, a 0, 0, 1 combination. Does this mean they will go in the Customer relationship workflow because their score is higher than the others? Or a 5, 5, 5 combination. Do this put them in every Workflow? 

If I was to suggest a method, I would say put a threshold value on when they should be considered a potential candidate for a particular workflow. Once they hit a certain value have another custom drop down field, let's say 'Has Marketing Pain: True/False', for whether or not they can be considered having a particular pain point. Create smart lists to sort them as well. I would then create Workflows to assign the True/False values based on your threshold value.

Ex. starting condition: completed welcome email workflow AND contact is a member of the list: Marketing Score is greater than X AND contact is not a member of the list: Customer Relationship Score is greater than X AND contact is not a member of the list: Marketing Automation Score is greater than X, then set contact property Has Marketing Pain equals True.

From there I would then assign them to the Marketing pain Workflow by having the starting condition as they completed the True/False workflow above.

Again, contacts might all go above the threshold for all 3 categories ( i.e 5, 5, 5), so I think these should be put aside and looked at more closely as they clearly have a need for more than just one aspect of your product.

For those that fall below the threshold (i.e. the 0, 0, 1 contact), I would also have a list created and develop a plan for them.

I don't know your exact scenario so there are definitely other actions that need to be looked at, but hopefully, this helps a little bit. 

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
shearn
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

In my experience, if I wanted to do multi-product/feature Lead Scoring I wouldn't use HubSpot's current Lead Scoring (unless you want to have an overall picture of how contacts are engaging with you). It get's very complex (Workflows, Lists, custom property values, etc.) because you're trying to adapt HubSpot's 'simple' scoring methodology to your businesses unique scoring scenario. There are so many different scenarios and even then it will never be a perfect solution because of limitations of the system.

In your scenario, it appears you're looking to compare the values of multiple contact properties to each other and then based on their values determine which one is the higher value in order to place them in the appropriate workflow. But, there are so many different combinations that it would be incredibly difficult to sort. Like you said they could have a 3, 1, 6 combination. Or, a 0, 0, 1 combination. Does this mean they will go in the Customer relationship workflow because their score is higher than the others? Or a 5, 5, 5 combination. Do this put them in every Workflow? 

If I was to suggest a method, I would say put a threshold value on when they should be considered a potential candidate for a particular workflow. Once they hit a certain value have another custom drop down field, let's say 'Has Marketing Pain: True/False', for whether or not they can be considered having a particular pain point. Create smart lists to sort them as well. I would then create Workflows to assign the True/False values based on your threshold value.

Ex. starting condition: completed welcome email workflow AND contact is a member of the list: Marketing Score is greater than X AND contact is not a member of the list: Customer Relationship Score is greater than X AND contact is not a member of the list: Marketing Automation Score is greater than X, then set contact property Has Marketing Pain equals True.

From there I would then assign them to the Marketing pain Workflow by having the starting condition as they completed the True/False workflow above.

Again, contacts might all go above the threshold for all 3 categories ( i.e 5, 5, 5), so I think these should be put aside and looked at more closely as they clearly have a need for more than just one aspect of your product.

For those that fall below the threshold (i.e. the 0, 0, 1 contact), I would also have a list created and develop a plan for them.

I don't know your exact scenario so there are definitely other actions that need to be looked at, but hopefully, this helps a little bit. 

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.
bbaggettgo
Participant

SOLVE

I was thinking something similar to this, I just couldn't piece it together in my head. The threshold idea is fantastic, I'm definitely going to use that!

We do have a backup/general workflow that they'd go through if the scores were equa, too close to make an assumption, or in this case, they didn't meet a threshold. 

You've given me a lot to think about. Thanks!