Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

LShepard6

Handling one-time lists

SOLVE

When we sponsor events, we get a one-time mailing list of attendees which we are then supposed to delete. What are best practices for loading, using, and then deleting the list? Can they be bulk-deleted? Are there any GDPR concerns?

1 Accepted solution
danmoyle
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

Handling one-time lists

SOLVE

Hi @LShepard6. If these folks have opted into their information being shared through the event, then techincally you're okay (I'm not a lawyer). As for the upload and deleting of the list, you can bulk delete HubSpot contacts pretty easily. 

I might think about the strategy here though. If you have permission to email them as a third party, can you email them and include an opt-in option like "download this offer" or "sign up for this webinar" so they choose to engage with you? Then those who do, don't need to be deleted because they've opted in. 

That's my two cents! 😁

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Handling one-time lists

SOLVE

Hi @LShepard6,

This depends a bit on the exact legal requirements that come with the lists. I'll also preface my reply by saying that it does not constitute legal advice.

In general, in very easy words, the GDPR wants you to not keep data where there isn't any reason to keep it. If there isn't a legal basis for continuing to process someone's data or to communicate with these contacts, they should go.

This is usually the case when there is a simple request (such a whitepaper download or an event registration/participation) is completed and when contacts have not explicitly expressed to be contacted beyond that. If I download a whitepaper and do not select a marketing consent checkbox, my request is fulfilled after you send me the whitepaper. In most cases, you cannot contact me again and there isn't any reason why you should keep my data. Hence it has to go.

I usually work with deletion lists, as HubSpot does not have a default feature for this. These deletion lists are looking for all contacts who are not opted or opted out of subscriptions, for example. Only customers / users would be excluded from the deletion, as there is an active relationship. This approach requires of course that subscription opt-ins are well-maintained in HubSpot. You can also build in a "timer" in these lists by that Create date or Recent conversion date must be 30 days ago. Contacts would then only enter the deletion list after 30 days.

In your case, you could additionally explore the use of the Marketing emails delivered property. A list based on this property's value being greater than 0 for event contactscould be used as an exclusion list for all of your marketing emails – making sure that you're really just emailing them once.

I would probably set up an Event contact property (to be set during import) and create a deletion list and exclusion list for emails as shown below:

Exclusion list (to be excluded in marketing emails)

Event contact is any of Yes

AND

Marketing emails delivered is greater than 0

Deletion list (containing contacts to delete)

[Create date is 30 days ago

AND

AND

Contact is not opted into Marketing information]

OR

[Create date is 30 days ago

AND

AND

Contact is opted out of Marketing information]

That way, the only thing to stress about would be sending an email within 30 days and then checking these lists to delete the contacts. As you wrap up events, these lists will dynamically fill and auto-update. If you deleted contacts right from your imported lists, there might be issues with contacts participating in multiple events and receiving the first, but not subsequent emails.

Lastly and similar to what @danmoyle already suggested; in the one marketing email that you're allowed to send, I'd try to push contacts to a clean conversion (if possible) where they do check a consent box. Get them so submit one form by providing something that is super helpful and relevant to them. This is the chance to generate a legal basis to keep them.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

danmoyle
Solution

Handling one-time lists

SOLVE

Hi @LShepard6. If these folks have opted into their information being shared through the event, then techincally you're okay (I'm not a lawyer). As for the upload and deleting of the list, you can bulk delete HubSpot contacts pretty easily. 

I might think about the strategy here though. If you have permission to email them as a third party, can you email them and include an opt-in option like "download this offer" or "sign up for this webinar" so they choose to engage with you? Then those who do, don't need to be deleted because they've opted in. 

That's my two cents! 😁

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/