Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

afu
Participante

Geotargeted Lists

resolver

Hi - a question for all you experts:

Most commonly we segment our marketing emails/lists by United States (US) vs. Outside United States (OUS).

Typically our geo-targeting lists are 'loose' - for example, our US list would be anyone who’s (self identified during registration) Country = United States OR IP Country  = united states.

For emails that require strict delineation (pharmaceutical ads), we have to change this criteria to AND; this significantly impacts our list size because:

• There are a number of registrants who’s self-identified location doesn’t match their IP location (travel, VPN, forwards, etc.)
  • We don’t have IP location for some, obviously new contacts as well

However, it’s important we reach those people who don’t fit the stricter criteria as these eblasts are web traffic drivers; for these people we can use a House ad. But, this amounts to doubling the # emails we have to send for a single campaign.

1. US version of strict list (self/IP/domain verified)
  2. OUS version of strict list (self/IP verified)
  3. US version of original loose list excluding #1 above
  4. OUS version of original loose list excluding #2 above

Is there a more efficient method to leverage w/ Hubspot?

0 Me gusta
2 Soluciones aceptadas
karstenkoehler
Solución
Miembro del salón de la fama | Partner

Geotargeted Lists

resolver

Hi @afu,

I'd say you've found a good solution already. IP country is and will always be unreliable, unfortunately.

For your OUS contacts, you could additionally look at email domain / ccTLDs. If it's any of the ccTLDs not equal to the US, you can assume that this contact is from OUS: https://www.worldstandards.eu/other/tlds/ The easiest way to build a list of these is by copying all non-US ccTLDs into Excel and then following this tip to create a list and not having to type each option. I would argue that a non-US ccTLD would be the most trustworthy information for OUS contact lists.

As far as getting more contacts into list 1 goes, I'm not aware of any HubSpot features that would achieve this. Outside of HubSpot, you could look for data enrichment providers such as Zoominfo to verify the self-identification or IP country information.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Ver la solución en mensaje original publicado

karstenkoehler
Solución

Geotargeted Lists

resolver

Hi @afu,

You can work around this by adding a filter "is not a member of list" instead, and choose a list of contacts whose domain ends with x, y, z.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Ver la solución en mensaje original publicado

6 Respuestas 6
afu
Participante

Geotargeted Lists

resolver

Yes, exactly what we ended up doing! thanks!

0 Me gusta
karstenkoehler
Solución

Geotargeted Lists

resolver

Hi @afu,

You can work around this by adding a filter "is not a member of list" instead, and choose a list of contacts whose domain ends with x, y, z.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

afu
Participante

Geotargeted Lists

resolver
For the US lists, we were just going to add a condition to the list filters of AND Domain "does not end with", however that is not an option.
0 Me gusta
karstenkoehler

Geotargeted Lists

resolver

Hi @afu,

Correct, that's why I was suggesting to trust the ccTLD for all countries except the US, .com would not be reliable. Businesses around the world use .com.

Could you explain again why you want to have the ccTLD in a separate property again? It could be done with the new HubSpot Operations Hub and some custom code in a workflow.

Best regards

Karsten Köhler

karstenkoehler
Solución

Geotargeted Lists

resolver

Hi @afu,

I'd say you've found a good solution already. IP country is and will always be unreliable, unfortunately.

For your OUS contacts, you could additionally look at email domain / ccTLDs. If it's any of the ccTLDs not equal to the US, you can assume that this contact is from OUS: https://www.worldstandards.eu/other/tlds/ The easiest way to build a list of these is by copying all non-US ccTLDs into Excel and then following this tip to create a list and not having to type each option. I would argue that a non-US ccTLD would be the most trustworthy information for OUS contact lists.

As far as getting more contacts into list 1 goes, I'm not aware of any HubSpot features that would achieve this. Outside of HubSpot, you could look for data enrichment providers such as Zoominfo to verify the self-identification or IP country information.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

afu
Participante

Geotargeted Lists

resolver

Thanks, Karsten for confirming my thoughts.

We also had exactly the idea of using domain extensions to further refine our US/OUS lists. We're used to bulk adding usiing a ; delimiter, so that's no problem.

What we initially looked at was just adding a condition to the list of Domain "does not end with any", however the only option is "ends with any of", which I guess can workaround, we want to be catious since it seems possible some like .com could be used worldwide, but not sure. Wonder if it would be possible to build a workflow to automate extracting the extension into its own attribute.

0 Me gusta