Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

kaious
Top Contributor

Field is Unknown is different to field does not equal false?

SOLVE

I'm not sure if this is specifc to the target account property, or if it happens for all checkbox type fields, but there seems to be something wrong with the not equal to filter logic:

See examples: if target account is not set, it should also show under not equal to true, should it not? At least, that's how I'd expect a true/false operator to act...

Using not equal to true, in this instance gives me no results, but using unknown gives 468 results. Surely in the case of a boolean value, not true should also include unset?? It just seems annoying because with this logic, to cater for anyone that may in future be moved from being a target account to not being a target account, I'd have to include both conditions of equals false or is unkown, and given how clumsy lists still are when it comes to handling multiple and or conditions, that becomes a real pain.

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 12.09.12 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-29 at 12.08.54 PM.png

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
natsumimori
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @kaious ,

I can now share an update with you:)

The internal team has been working to find a better solution to approach to this matter. Now we can choose to exclude objects with "no data" or include them. Please see this image-

Lists.png

So if you'd want to create a list of companies with "the target account is not equal to true" and the ones without having target account, you'd want to choose "include objects with no data" option.

Could you try out in your account?

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14
kaious
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Also, I'm somewhat confused as to what "include objects with no data" does in the two scenarios:

If the filter is set to True and "include objects with no data" is ticked, does that mean objects with no data will be regarded as true, and if the filter is set to False and "include objects with no data" is ticked, that would regard objects with no data as false?

Or does it mean regardless of whether the filter is set to true or false, objects with no data would be evaluated under a normal boolean definition (ie no data = 0 = false)?

0 Upvotes
natsumimori
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Let me check this with the internal team! 

0 Upvotes
natsumimori
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

@kaious 

When the "include objects with no data" is selected, objects with no data are assigned a default value as following:

Boolean- false, Number- 0 and String-'' .

Hope this clarifies!

kaious
Top Contributor

SOLVE

@natsumimori is it possible to get an update on this issue?

0 Upvotes
natsumimori
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @kaious ,

The internal team acknowledges this behavior, however, I haven't heard any updates yet. I will @mention you when I can share more information about this!

natsumimori
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @kaious ,

I can now share an update with you:)

The internal team has been working to find a better solution to approach to this matter. Now we can choose to exclude objects with "no data" or include them. Please see this image-

Lists.png

So if you'd want to create a list of companies with "the target account is not equal to true" and the ones without having target account, you'd want to choose "include objects with no data" option.

Could you try out in your account?

kaious
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @natsumimori I have tried this in my account, but do not see the option to include/exclude empty values?

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 1.28.34 PM.png

0 Upvotes
natsumimori
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @kaious ,

I'm not able to reproduce this in my account. Could you linke me to this list?

0 Upvotes
kaious
Top Contributor

SOLVE

It's the case on every list in our account @natsumimori - even if I create a new list, I do not have the option to include empty values. Here's a link to a new test list I made: https://app.hubspot.com/contacts/4393631/lists/1408 

0 Upvotes
natsumimori
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @kaious ,

The one you linked is a contact list and not a company list, correct?

I believe the change our internal team made was only for company list. I'm checking about this too so I will update you once I have more information.

0 Upvotes
natsumimori
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

@kaious 

The team confirmed that the change was not made for the contacts list, however, they are planning to push that to contacts list too. 

0 Upvotes
natsumimori
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @kaious ,

Thank you for reaching out!

I tested and I was able to replicate this behavior in my account too. Let me check this with the product team and I will get back to you in this thread!

kaious
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks @natsumimori - good to know it's not just me 😄

0 Upvotes
kaious
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Ok, there's definitely something up with true/false fields in general: I've just tried creating a list to identify anyone not in a sequence, by any reasonable assumption, the way to do that would be to use the filter is currently in sequence = false

However, that's not what happens - see the difference between in sequence = false and in sequence = unknown. Either this has to be unexpected behaviour for a boolean field, or someone must be on some good drugs??

Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 2.08.24 PM.png

0 Upvotes