Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

Capitel
Contributor

Error: Each level of delay must have a unique time of day.

SOLVE

I'm getting this error repeatedly for a date-based workflow and just can't find any sense to it, nor instructions on how to debug the workflow. Any experience with this?

The workflow is really simple: I have a list based on a form and starting on my campaign start date, I will send three emails on fixed dates that are different depending on what they responded in the form.

I'm using if/then branches based on the form property values. I think what's messing things up is that Hubspot creates automatic delays for the each branch, but for me all have the same hierarchy and should start at the same time.

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Capitel
Solution
Contributor

SOLVE

Ok this is the good one!!

A Hubspot support associate told me this:

"The errors you are seeing have to do with the fact that there are multiple delays that are set to occur at the exact same time. Even though they are on different branch paths, workflows cannot have multiple identical delays. Each of the delays with errors has a corresponding identical delay in a different branch. For example, there are multiple delays that are 9 days after April 15, 2019 at 5:00PM or 14 days after April 15, 2019 at 5:00PM.

The way workflows currently function on the back end, there are validators in place to ensure that no delays before and after an if/then branch are set to occur at the exact same time--this currently includes separate branch paths To resolve this, you'll need to update the delays with alerts to occur 15 minutes later than they originally do."

"

Screenshot 2019-04-04 10.08.44.png

Note that the delays that Hubspot creates automatically for date-based workflows after a branching point can have the same time, but the unique timing will have to set later.

After setting 15 minutes buffer intervals around each email that goes out in the same day, the problem was solved. Eureka!

I have flagged that this problem is poorly documented. I also got a confirmation that the design is in place to ensure successful execution in the backend, not for logical reasons (it's not a feature).

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
Bryantworks
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hey @Capitel 

Could you show a screenshot of the workflow?  I think that'll help me better understand the error you're seeing.

Chris Bryant | Your Dedicated HubSpot Expert
0 Upvotes
Capitel
Contributor

SOLVE

Hey @Bryantworks, it's hard to see on a screenshot. Here's the overall view:

Screenshot_13.png

I've marked the delay errors. I'm getting errors in the emails because I haven't added them yet, but I know that will be fixed as soon as I publish and select them.

This is the first error, which occurs on the YES option of the second branch.

Screenshot_15.pngAnd this is the error I get:

Screenshot_16.png

0 Upvotes
Bryantworks

SOLVE

Thanks @Capitel  for getting back to me so quickly!

I think I might've spotted the error:

HubSpot Community - Re_ Error_ Each level of delay must have a unique ... - HubSpot Community - Google Chrome 2019-04-03 08.53.46.png

If I'm reading that correctly you've got dates scheduled for the 16th, but then further delays for the 14th which is in the past.  That could be your root cause here.

Capitel
Contributor

SOLVE

No, it's not in the past if you look at it closely. Unless the delay applied on a branch is affecting the other branch as well.Screenshot_18.png

0 Upvotes
Bryantworks

SOLVE

@Capitel Ahh, I see now!  Sorry about that.  Have you tried deleting the delay and re-adding it?  

0 Upvotes
Capitel
Contributor

SOLVE

Ok this is what I've realized tinkering away:

The delays that Hubspot creates automatically after an if-then branching in a date-based contact workflow have to carry the same time on both branches.

That fixes the errors at that level.

BUT they still keep happening below.

Screenshot_19.png

I've tried changing the start date to an earlier date to have more buffer to no success!

0 Upvotes
Capitel
Solution
Contributor

SOLVE

Ok this is the good one!!

A Hubspot support associate told me this:

"The errors you are seeing have to do with the fact that there are multiple delays that are set to occur at the exact same time. Even though they are on different branch paths, workflows cannot have multiple identical delays. Each of the delays with errors has a corresponding identical delay in a different branch. For example, there are multiple delays that are 9 days after April 15, 2019 at 5:00PM or 14 days after April 15, 2019 at 5:00PM.

The way workflows currently function on the back end, there are validators in place to ensure that no delays before and after an if/then branch are set to occur at the exact same time--this currently includes separate branch paths To resolve this, you'll need to update the delays with alerts to occur 15 minutes later than they originally do."

"

Screenshot 2019-04-04 10.08.44.png

Note that the delays that Hubspot creates automatically for date-based workflows after a branching point can have the same time, but the unique timing will have to set later.

After setting 15 minutes buffer intervals around each email that goes out in the same day, the problem was solved. Eureka!

I have flagged that this problem is poorly documented. I also got a confirmation that the design is in place to ensure successful execution in the backend, not for logical reasons (it's not a feature).

Bryantworks

SOLVE

Thanks for all the information and tracking this down!  This will be helpful to all members in the Community.

0 Upvotes
Bryantworks

SOLVE

Ahh, gotcha.  Glad you were able to get it resolved @Capitel !

0 Upvotes