Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

CBentley
Participant

Emailing a contact, based on action of another contact

SOLVE

Hello - My company works with patients and their doctors. I've been asked to automate an email notification to doctors letting them know about their patient's purchase. Is this possible?

Is there a way to add someone to a workflow based on another contact's actions?

I know I can create a custom property under the patient's contact record "Doctor's Email" and create another for doctor's contact record "Patient", but can I actually trigger an email to one based on the other?

Any creative ideas on handling this? Thanks!

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

_hubspot-button-accept-as-solution-gif-v00.gif

Q: Can I actually trigger an email to one HubSpot contact based on actions performed by another contact?

Short A: Not really, but keep reading ...

Longer A:

Just so happens that we inherited an Enterprise portal last year that had / has a similar solution in place. The solution that follows was running for over 100K contacts before we cleaned the DB. It still runs today for close to 50K contacts.

There are other (different) solutions, but can't honestly say one is better than the other. They're just different. All solutions will require documentation and maintenance.

Let's agree on our terminology and a couple HubSpot rules ...

TERMINOLOGY

- HubSpot Contact -- people in our CRM to whom we send email. They do NOT have access to our portal.

- HubSpot User -- people who we've allowed (even limited) access to our HubSpot portal AND to whom we may send BOTH email AND internal notifications. (important)

HUBSPOT RULE(s)

- Sending email to one contact based on the actions of another contact is NOT built-in native HubSpot functionality.  And if it were, it would make humans literally go insane. haha

SOLUTION (step-by-step)

-1- Create a custom contact property -- e.g., 'Doctor of Record' (type = Hubspot user).

-2- Add each doctor as a HubSpot User with very limited access to sales AND marketing.

-3- Update patient records to reflect the correct 'Doctor of Record'

(see image)

hubspot-workflow-internal-notification-to-non-hubspot-owner-dr-bob.png

-4- Build the following workflow to send an internal notification to the appropriate 'Doctor of Record' when contacts (patients) make purchases.

(see image - PARTIAL WORKFLOW)hubspot-workflow-internal-notification-to-non-hubspot-owner-gif.gif

-5- Complete the workflow by addingthe appropriate If/then branch logic for EACH 'Doctor of Record' as needed.

(see image)hubspot-workflow-internal-notification-to-non-hubspot-owner-final.png

Disclaimer: This solution takes into account important items that aren't discussed here, but which are directly affected -- e.g., contact record ownersip (very important), marketing email templating smart rules, marketing email sends, etc.

Happy to help you build this out and document (depending on timeframe). 

Can't wait to see what we can help you build on HubSpot next.

Best,
Frank

hubspot-solutions-signature-mfrankjohnson-v05.png

www.MFrankJohnson.com

Help find this post quickly ... accept this solution now.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
CBentley
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Thank you for the very thorough response Frank! I don't think that would work for us though. We wouldn't want to make all the doctors Hubspot Users. Still, your answer helped me get on the right track, and I figured out a much simpler solution!

SOLUTION

Step 1: Create a Custom Property: Doctor's Email (type: single line text)

This is a property that will need to be filled out for all patients. However, for compliance any email address put in this field should exist as it's own opted-in contact. I.E. the doctor should have opted into email.

Step 2: Create a Workflow to Send An Internal Email

When you select the option to send an internal email, you can choose to base the recipient off any email property. Select "Doctor's Email" from the dropdown.

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 1.50.35 PM.png

By setting up the workflow this way, one contact (a patient) can enroll in the workflow based on your enrollment criteria, but then another contact (their doctor) is the one who will be emailed.

Step 3: Create Your Email Using Personalization Tokens

This is the best part. Because the patient is the contact entering the workflow, any personalization tokens you use in the email will refer to the patient, even though the email is going to the doctor. This is very helpful to plug in the patient info you need to share with the doctor. Ex:

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 2.01.21 PM.png

Step 4: See Results in Both Contact Records

Because both contacts exist in your Hubspot account, you can see that the patient completed the workflow and the doctor received an email. Note: I checked and this all works even if the email you use for custom property "Doctor's Email" isn't in your account. However, it is safer to have them exist as a contact for opt-in/opt-out options.

Maybe you can simplify your process with this method! I appreciate the help and hope I was helpful in return.

Chris

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

_hubspot-button-accept-as-solution-gif-v00.gif

Q: Can I actually trigger an email to one HubSpot contact based on actions performed by another contact?

Short A: Not really, but keep reading ...

Longer A:

Just so happens that we inherited an Enterprise portal last year that had / has a similar solution in place. The solution that follows was running for over 100K contacts before we cleaned the DB. It still runs today for close to 50K contacts.

There are other (different) solutions, but can't honestly say one is better than the other. They're just different. All solutions will require documentation and maintenance.

Let's agree on our terminology and a couple HubSpot rules ...

TERMINOLOGY

- HubSpot Contact -- people in our CRM to whom we send email. They do NOT have access to our portal.

- HubSpot User -- people who we've allowed (even limited) access to our HubSpot portal AND to whom we may send BOTH email AND internal notifications. (important)

HUBSPOT RULE(s)

- Sending email to one contact based on the actions of another contact is NOT built-in native HubSpot functionality.  And if it were, it would make humans literally go insane. haha

SOLUTION (step-by-step)

-1- Create a custom contact property -- e.g., 'Doctor of Record' (type = Hubspot user).

-2- Add each doctor as a HubSpot User with very limited access to sales AND marketing.

-3- Update patient records to reflect the correct 'Doctor of Record'

(see image)

hubspot-workflow-internal-notification-to-non-hubspot-owner-dr-bob.png

-4- Build the following workflow to send an internal notification to the appropriate 'Doctor of Record' when contacts (patients) make purchases.

(see image - PARTIAL WORKFLOW)hubspot-workflow-internal-notification-to-non-hubspot-owner-gif.gif

-5- Complete the workflow by addingthe appropriate If/then branch logic for EACH 'Doctor of Record' as needed.

(see image)hubspot-workflow-internal-notification-to-non-hubspot-owner-final.png

Disclaimer: This solution takes into account important items that aren't discussed here, but which are directly affected -- e.g., contact record ownersip (very important), marketing email templating smart rules, marketing email sends, etc.

Happy to help you build this out and document (depending on timeframe). 

Can't wait to see what we can help you build on HubSpot next.

Best,
Frank

hubspot-solutions-signature-mfrankjohnson-v05.png

www.MFrankJohnson.com

Help find this post quickly ... accept this solution now.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
CBentley
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Thank you for the very thorough response Frank! I don't think that would work for us though. We wouldn't want to make all the doctors Hubspot Users. Still, your answer helped me get on the right track, and I figured out a much simpler solution!

SOLUTION

Step 1: Create a Custom Property: Doctor's Email (type: single line text)

This is a property that will need to be filled out for all patients. However, for compliance any email address put in this field should exist as it's own opted-in contact. I.E. the doctor should have opted into email.

Step 2: Create a Workflow to Send An Internal Email

When you select the option to send an internal email, you can choose to base the recipient off any email property. Select "Doctor's Email" from the dropdown.

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 1.50.35 PM.png

By setting up the workflow this way, one contact (a patient) can enroll in the workflow based on your enrollment criteria, but then another contact (their doctor) is the one who will be emailed.

Step 3: Create Your Email Using Personalization Tokens

This is the best part. Because the patient is the contact entering the workflow, any personalization tokens you use in the email will refer to the patient, even though the email is going to the doctor. This is very helpful to plug in the patient info you need to share with the doctor. Ex:

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 2.01.21 PM.png

Step 4: See Results in Both Contact Records

Because both contacts exist in your Hubspot account, you can see that the patient completed the workflow and the doctor received an email. Note: I checked and this all works even if the email you use for custom property "Doctor's Email" isn't in your account. However, it is safer to have them exist as a contact for opt-in/opt-out options.

Maybe you can simplify your process with this method! I appreciate the help and hope I was helpful in return.

Chris

MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Yes @CBentley. Excellent point about also adding the recipient as a contact. That way we can track email sends on their contact record as well. Nice.

However ...

Using a single line text field wouldn't work (in our use case) because of the human factor (too error-prone for a heavily regulated industry). Sounds like you have a much higher degree of control over who will be entering doctor's email addresses into that field. Obviously, a bad email address there plus a corresponding notification failure would mean the intended recipient would not get notified and no one will know about it unless someone (you) periodically checked the workflow performance log for errors. (not ideal)

Also, the method we originally described allows HubSpot to handle email address verification for all doctors without ever even allowing erroneous email addresses to be used in notifications. This is needed as protection for HIPAA compliance (beyond the scope of this discussion, but worth mentioning based on your modifications).

In our use case, the client is also in a heavily regulated industry with high compliance standards, so risking accidential notifications that included even something as seemingly innocuous as a 'client name' being sent to an inaccurate email address leaves them too exposed (legally). Additionally, our notifications sometimes contain other confidential data, so ... 

The above withstanding, I'm not sure how your solution would stand up to HIPAA compliance scrutiny based on the high error potential. Personally, I'd run it by legal just to be safe -- a good practice whenever working in a portal that touches a regulated industry. The last place we want to be (as HubSpot Admins) is on the wrong side of a decision that resulted in systemic HIPAA-compliance violations.Source: https://www.scrypt.com/hp/Source: https://www.scrypt.com/hp/

Finally, since the original solution is accurate please also mark as solved. Thanks.

Hope that helps.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
CBentley
Participant

SOLVE

Additional Detail (My Answer)

That is a very good point about HIPAA compliance, although the field is getting updated by API from a database, not a human filling it out (other than the doctor at some point providing it).

If you have a doctor filling out a form, saying this is my email address, send notifications here, and a patient selecting this doctor as theirs, I would think that is compliant.

We could also add a notification for any failed deliveries, which we do for a few other workflows.

Additional Questions (Your Answer)

I have marked your answer as correct, but I'm not sure I completely understand how that works for you.

They are logging in to your account to see in-app notifications or receiving their patient info in an email from Hubspot notifications? I'm not fully clear how giving doctors a log-in to your Hubspot account is compliant either? What level of access can you give them that shows no internal information?

I think in your scenario, you are working with the same few doctors over and over, where as we are working with a huge number of doctors, frequently as one offs.

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

We're not working with doctors. Our use case has 'agents' assigned to 'clients'. Each 'agent' is a user with heavily restricted access to only see 'owned' contacts (clients) -- which is precisely none in their portal. The 'agents' actually never login, but even if they did they don't technically 'own' any of the records, so they can't see anything (that matters). This setup, while at first glance appeared a little skitzoid, solves a whole host of issues (as earlier described).

[Additional internal processes and procedures insure 100% compliance.]

Regarding your question about the type of notifications, yes ... they're email based -- although we added notifications (similar to yours) after the original marketing email solution was implemented years ago.

Again, whe we first inherited the portal we almost made radical changes to the original solution because it didn't make complete sense at first glance. We couldn't figure out why agents simply weren't assigned to OWN the contacts. And, like many portals, there was no documentation from the previous admin, so ... we were left having to decipher the intent of the original admin -- an exercise that turned out to be well worth the effort considering the domino effect on multiple custom coded HTML email templates built in suppport of the original solution. Ended up swapping those out for fully responsive smart assets anyway, but in a managed / scheduled fashion. Literally took weeks.

Finally, one of the things we love about HubSpot happens to be the same thing that gives many people pause -- it's power to achieve the same or similar results in many different ways. To quote Scotty sometimes it's, "... like jumping out of a moving car off a bridge into a shot glass." 😉

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes