Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

LMcCarthy6
Participant

Do onboarding workflows count as transactional?

SOLVE

Hi, 

I'm looking to improve our onboarding experience for customers who sign up for our self-serve experience. Currently, once they sign up, they're just dumped into the main experience with no pointers or education on how to best use our platform and get the most out of the experience. 

To combat this, I was going to create an onboarding workflow with a series of emails, they would look something like this: 

• Email 1 - welcome email - how to use the platform, best practices etc. 
  • Email 2 - profile build - nudge to fill out their profile in fulll by answering some simple questions 
  • email 3 - invite to a live enablement session that we run every week to answer specific questions customers may have

In each email we would have a banner that tells the user about the enablement session so they can ask any specific questions they might have. 

I'm just not sure if this all qualifies as transactional emails (I know the welcome email does) or whether they're marketing. Feels like they sit in a bit of a grey area. 

Any help or guidance on this would be great. We are also looking at including a marketing email opt-in within the sign up form as well. 

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @LMcCarthy6,

Generally, your legal team would have to make this decision and sign this off - they would be the ones to handle any incoming complaints, anyway.

My reply does not constitute legal advice but here's how I see things: In my opinion, onboarding emails are not transactional but marketing emails. (Just think about you not being able to unsubscribe from a series of emails after signing up for a product.) They do however not necessarily require an explicit opt-in and typically, a legitimate interest can be assumed as a legal basis for sending these emails; due to the contact signing up.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
1 Reply 1
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @LMcCarthy6,

Generally, your legal team would have to make this decision and sign this off - they would be the ones to handle any incoming complaints, anyway.

My reply does not constitute legal advice but here's how I see things: In my opinion, onboarding emails are not transactional but marketing emails. (Just think about you not being able to unsubscribe from a series of emails after signing up for a product.) They do however not necessarily require an explicit opt-in and typically, a legitimate interest can be assumed as a legal basis for sending these emails; due to the contact signing up.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes