Delete a contact permanently via a workflow

SOLVE
Regular Contributor

Is it not possible to permanently delete a contact using a workflow. I see options to remove them from a static list as well as adding them to a static list in workflow actions. But I cannot seem to find the option to remove them permanently other than manually selecting and removing them in the list.

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Thought Leader | Diamond Partner

Hi @mobedi

That's right, the only way to delete contacts is to do it from lists or from the contact view itself. 

Could be dangerous to delete contacts automatically using workflows, but you can opt them out of email that way. 

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | Inbound marketing for B2B technology companies
9 Replies 9

Hi @mobedi

That's right, the only way to delete contacts is to do it from lists or from the contact view itself. 

Could be dangerous to delete contacts automatically using workflows, but you can opt them out of email that way. 

Hope this helps.

Regular Contributor

Hi Phil,

Thank you for your reply.

So is this the only way to delete a contact or is it possible via the API?

0 Upvotes

Hi, 

I'm not an expert in that area but it looks like you can:

https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/methods/contacts/delete_contact

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I genuinely appreciate this reply, but I really don't like the idea that having these controls and capabilities in place is dangerous. I understand that you may not personally feel this way, but in terms of how this may be an indication of HubSpot's reasoning for excluding such functionality... it casts a very low view of marketing professionals. As though we're all a bit silly and shouldn't be allowed to automate or mass-delete contacts if we wish. 

Occasional Contributor

Totally agreed. Also, why can't HubSpot just provide a "recycle bin" so that the deleted contacts from Workflow can be stored there, so that if we make mistakes, we can retrieve the contacts back? Contacts in the recycle bin should not count toward the contacts limit of our account. I do believe this is a needed feature and it's not too much to ask.

Occasional Contributor

Totally agree with you on the recycle bin feature that is greatly needed. I always thought it's a stardard for database platforms like HubSpot so it's shocking they don't offer it. 

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

Hi Claire,

There is a "recycle bin" for contacts in HubSpot, but it is slightly hidden.  From the contacts list view page, click 'Actions' and then 'Restore contacts'. From here you'll be able to find contacts who have been deleted in the past 90 days and restore them.

Hope that helps!  😊

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

This feature would be great - I suspect the reason Hubspot doesn't want to include it is because of their pricing structure. They don't want to make it too easy for people to create purge processes and reduce their Hubspot bill... Sad situation if that's the case.

Top Contributor

Hi there

Is there truly no way to automate the deletion of Contacts / Companies / Deals in Hubspot? Esp via a Workflow?

I know and understand that deleting can be a tricky path to tread on but if it is set carefully and works, then should be allowed and possible? 

0 Upvotes