Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

RichL
Membro

Creating new Lists from existing contact database

I need to extract a list from all of my contacts in HubSpot based on states and provinces. I need it top to select all possible ways a state can be entered and add it to the state list. I would like for these lists to be static. How do I do this?

0 Avaliação positiva
4 Respostas 4
SeanReid
Alunos da HubSpot
Alunos da HubSpot

Hi Rich,

So there is the long term and short term plan I'd recommend with something like this. The long term goal would be to make your life easier in terms of pulling lists of contacts from each state, while the short term would be to pull this data from your current database. For my own strategy with this, let's use Massachusetts as our example.

For the current database, you would want to work with first mapping out all the potential names that could be given for Massachusetts (So "Massachusetts", "MA", "Mass", "Massachusett"). (Tip, I would use a website like All Acronyms to build out my possible names for the state). Then I would create a list called "Contacts In Massachusetts" and use the contact property "State" to build out the list. The rule here would be something along the lines of "Contact Property States Contains Any Of "Massachusetts" or "MA" or "Mass" or "Massachusett"". This should do the trick and is a case of repeating the process for each state. Depending on how this data is being entered into HubSpot, you might want to consider popular misspellings of each state.

The long term strategy here though should be how you can make life easier for yourself and to be able to have all this data be the exact same, so everyone from Massachusetts has the property State listed as Massachusetts, and not a variable or misspelling. The first thing to do would be to use the workflow example that Ben mentioned to give everyone in that list the same value. So if I live in the "Contacts In Massachusetts" list, then use that as the workflow trigger and have your workflow set the contact property value for State to "Massachusetts".  

Next, you want to look at how this data is getting into your database. If it from any open text field that anyone can just type out a value for, I would replace this with a drop-down field instead. This is regardless of if your contacts submit a form or if your team enter the value manually. The major advantage here is if you change the property to a drop-down select, it means you are in control of the possible answers. So if we use State as an example, you could add all 50 states as potential answers in your drop-down select, so if I go to submit a form I'm presented with the option and I pick from that list. If I'm submitting it internally as a sales rep, again it ensures I'm following the processes that you have put in place and avoid human error such as spelling mistakes.

The downside here is that building your lists, workflows and property will take some time, but the positive outweighs the con as it'll ensure you have data that is easy to pull and you no longer need to worry about variables or human error.

HHills
Participante

Thanks for such an explicit answer. However, at the moment, I don't have a clear idea of how to do all described. Are any optimized steps that will ease the process? In addition, I plan to work with the Italian market, which contains millions of companies in different sectors. How to make the grouping efficient so every time I will do italy company search the necessary information will pop up?

0 Avaliação positiva
Ben_M
Conselheiro(a) de destaque

The biggest problem you are going to have with your list is that your states/provinces are not a standardized picklist.  Because of this you are going to have to know all possible variations of the state/provinces that you are looking for.  What I would recommend building in your case are some data standardization workflows, or what I often refer to as a Contact Washing Machine.  The long-term goal would be to eventually standardize the field and not allow it to contain freeform data but rather data from a picklist.

With regards to the list pull itself that should be rather easy to just make a static list looking for your specific states/provinces and make it a static list instead of a dynamic list.  The only difference is the static list will count the records the moment you hit save and cannot be altered later whereas the active list will continue to update the count as new contacts become eligible to be added to your list.

RichL
Membro

This did not help. I still don't know how to do it. I tried following the instructions and I was unable to build any flow the way I need. It makes no sense to me.

0 Avaliação positiva