Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

zacbowers
Contributor

Create list from contact properties

SOLVE

Hi everyone, 

I work for a higher education institution and I am trying to create a list based on properties within a contact.

Our contacts (students typically) have property fields for parent contact information. 

I was trying to take those parental contact properties and create a list out of them but I got stuck and, frankly, I don't know if there is a way to do that without uploading that contact information and making parents contacts themselves.  I can narrow a list to the students who have parent contact information (properties we have created) but I don't know how/if I can pull the contact properties of the parents, from the students to make a new list.

Since we need to get the email out quickly, I just uploaded a spreadsheet and added the parents as contacts but I would love to know if there was a solution to creating contacts/lists based on properties associated with contacts. 

Thanks!

1 Accepted solution
Ben_M
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

What I've done in the past in this scenario, is make the individual the company record.  Then the parent is the Role field or Title field within the company.  I've done setups like this before using Salesforce as the CRM because they have an option to make individual's an account.  It may be possible to do this within Hubspot entirely, but you would have to have workflows setup to create companies from the students when they come in, and a workflow to identify who the parent is related to and assign them to the right student.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
6 Replies 6
CCH_FC
Participant

SOLVE

Hi zacbowers,

I am in the exact same situation - we want to email the parent/guardian of the propsective student without having to create a new contact for each parent. Did you try the company route? I've been messing around with the parent/child related companies, but haven't had luck in working through it. 

0 Upvotes
zacbowers
Contributor

SOLVE

In short, no.

We looked into it but didn't have any luck. It is something we will bring up with our Hubspot rep on our next call to see if this is on the development team's radar. 

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. I'll post something if I am able to find a solution.

0 Upvotes
CCH_FC
Participant

SOLVE

No apology needed - I appreciate the follow up. Best of luck 🙂

0 Upvotes
Marvin_A

SOLVE

Hi,

You can always make custom properties for the Student (Contact Record). At minimum, you would need 2 properties Guardian Name & Guardian Email. You can abstract this as a Contact's secondary email.

From there you can populate a list of Students (Contact Records) that have those properties filled out. Go to the Nav: Contacts > Lists then click on Create List (Button). It is recommended that you leave the list type as 'Active'. Use the filter to set your properties 'is known'. This should populate the Students (Contact Records) that have their Guardian's info. To view this in a better format, you can click on the top right "Actions" and Select "Edit Columns" and you can pick the properties that contain the Guardian's info to show up on the list you are currently viewing.

You can use additional lists as a cascade and layer in more complex filtering like age and major. Ex/ Filter = Specific List AND Custom Property. 

Edit:

If you needed to bulk add the parents info since you said you have an excel handy. Just adjust the excel sheet to map to your current Students (contact records) and adjust the columns of the Parent's contact info to be the custom property. You can upload the excel and it should update the custom properties through its deduplication method.

Ben_M
Key Advisor

SOLVE

@CCH_FC - What you are asking for would not be possible in any email platform.  Anyone who has to be emailed from the platform has to be a contact within the platform regardless of their association. The reason for this is Spam compliance.  If you have the parent as only a contact on another contact object, then you wouldn't be able to accurately track what communications were sent and their opt-in/opt-out status, nor would you be able to permanently delete their data if the parent requested.

If you are running into trouble setting up the parent/child relationship, I would recommend starting a new post with the details of the issues that you are running into.  As this post has already been marked as solved you may not get new responses because people may believe the issue is resolved and there is nothing further to troubleshoot.

Ben_M
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

What I've done in the past in this scenario, is make the individual the company record.  Then the parent is the Role field or Title field within the company.  I've done setups like this before using Salesforce as the CRM because they have an option to make individual's an account.  It may be possible to do this within Hubspot entirely, but you would have to have workflows setup to create companies from the students when they come in, and a workflow to identify who the parent is related to and assign them to the right student.

0 Upvotes