Create Filter from List

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Hi,

I had my email list cleaned by Kickbox.

They create a list. I would like to apply that list as a filter so I can clean my contact emails of non-active ones.

Is it possible to do this? Or, is there an alternative way to do it?

Many thanks for any pointers.

Nick 

0 Upvotes
6 Replies 6
Esteemed Advisor | Gold Partner | HubSpot Certified Trainer

Hi @Nickdunc,

Yes. Here are the steps.

1. Import the list into HubSpot
  2. After you have mapped your fields from the upload (you only need email really, maybe name), you will see a check box to Create a List of Contacts from this Import
  3. You can go to that list and delete from there or alternatively, you can use a filter with the list membership criteria to filter them and then delete

Josh

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

We help tier 1 & 2 manufacturers generate leads!
HubSpot Gold Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer

Regular Contributor

Hi,

Many thanks for this.

I am not sure it exactly responds to my issue.

I have about 1400 contacts, and the list created by Kickbox (without my intervention) has about 1100.

My understanding is that the list is effectively the outcome of a filter that has been applied from outside Hubspot. I have not uploaded the file and mapped the fields (as this is not necessary, they already exist and by definition their emails are correct).

The list must have the contact code and the email address.

My problem is that I have no means of going backwards to the filter, from this list of emails with contact codes.

The filter criterion would presumably need to be according to one of the contact properties, and it is not clear to me which properties I would be able to select as 'not'.

I hope this is a bit clearer.

Best,

Nick

0 Upvotes
AM8
Top Contributor

@Nickdunc 

Let me see if I understood your question. 
You have 2 lists: ( lets call them A and B ) 
List A : 1400 contatcs ( original in HubSpot) 
List B :  1100 contacts (List created from KickBox) 

Now you want to somehow access the nonoverlaping 300 contacts ? Correct? 

My proposed solution: 

1. Create a List A in Hubspot so that all 1400 contacts are a part of it. 

2. You could follow @Josh 's advice and create a list (List B) by importing KickBox contacts . ( This is done so that List B is now in Hubspot , don't worry contacts will not get duplicated and your total contact count in HubSpot will remain 1400) 

3. NOW, Create a third list (List C) in HubSpot with the condition that contacts are a member of List A but NOT a member of List B. 

Hope this helps
Thank you.
-AM 
#Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

Hi,

Many thanks for your help on this.

I think you have correctly understood my problem. I wish to clean my contacts (and indeed the kickbox list which resulted in over 5% hard bounce).

Your point 1 is no problem of course.

Point 2 however seems more tricky, as Kickbox created the list and did not provide me a data set. If I were able to import these, how would a filter identify those contacts? Their data would not have changed. Filter, as I understand it would act on the contact attributes not lists.

Is the point here that I have to get a data file from Kickbox in order to solve this problem? Also, is the rationale for the filter that one can set the criterion as date modified, and therefore identify the imported contact data?

Point 3 can be done, but depends on point 2.

The hard bounce list is produced by Hubspot, and so I should be able to do the import from that without trouble.

Sorry if I am being dumb...

0 Upvotes
Anu
Regular Contributor

@Nickdunc 

You are completely fine in asking these questions. Imports can be tricky. Smiley Happy

Point 2, however, seems more tricky, as Kickbox created the list and did not provide me a data set. If I were able to import these, how would a filter identify those contacts? Their data would not have changed. Filter, as I understand it would act on the contact attributes not lists. - nothing would change on a contact level because you are right, the data is the same, all the import does is that these contacts would become a part of a separate list because of the import, thus eliminating a need for you to find a property to filter these by. 

Is the point here that I have to get a data file from Kickbox in order to solve this problem?  - You do have a .csv file or an excel sheet I assume. If not then you'll need one.

Also, is the rationale for the filter that one can set the criterion as date modified, and therefore identify the imported contact data? - No, as explained above. 

Does this help? 
-AM

#Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.

Regular Contributor

Hi,

Sorry not to have got back to you sooner.

I think I have found a way around it.

If one exports the whole data set the email is recorded on last activity. I can then extract all those within the bounce list and re-import the property in question. I can then sort the contacts by the property and crate a new list.

Voila! (I hope)