Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

SRudnicki

Cookie based segmentation and analytics (non-converted / anonymous visitors))

Hi!

I'm supposed to create segmentation based on 3 webpages and their returning visitors.

It should be based on a cookie, we want to analyze what happens on our website before any signups.

The website is on wordpress, not hubspot cms.

Is there a good way to get this data?

Can it be used later for automation?

0 Upvotes
5 Replies 5
DomRychlik
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Hello HubSpot Community,

My name is Dom, a Product Manager at HubSpot. My team and I are currently looking for Alpha testers for a brand new feature in Hubspot called Audiences that will allow marketers to create segments of anonymous website users based on a number of filters such as location, language, device, browsing history etc and use these segments for content personalisation, to increase your conversions and gather insights as your website visitors. 

If you’re a marketer interested in this functionality please feel free to reach out to me via a direct message and I can add this feature to your portal. 

Best,

Dom

Ben_M
Key Advisor

You can create a list of people who have visited, and had repeat visits to a particular page.  The list can be used as an entry point into a workflow as well.

The catch here is that, as you point out, this will only work for visitors who are cookied by Hubspot and known to the system to be able to add them to a list. So if you are not converting your visitors prior to trying to track them here, you might not get a very large list. 

SRudnicki

I cannot create a list of unconverted visitors, small list is not a solution. It's about learning from those who did not convert.

0 Upvotes
Ben_M
Key Advisor

@SRudnicki wrote:

I cannot create a list of unconverted visitors, small list is not a solution. It's about learning from those who did not convert.

That's exactly what I said.  If you don't know who they you cannot create a list of them.

The problem is the goal you have of tying this all to automation. Imagine you have a physical store. You want to understand my activity even if I don't buy so you record my video and track me through facial recognition to try and link up all my visits based on who you think I am. Some days I may have a hood or mask on so this may be inconsistent.  The tricky point is, you want to be able to store that data for an indeterminate amount of time and then eventually tie that data to automation to be used later so you want to link up all that anonymous data to my credit card when I finally purchase.

In Hubspot terms, Hubspot's cookie will track your movement anonymous such that you accept cookies on the site.  So if a user does not accept cookies all of this is thrown out the window.  Assuming they do accept cookies, Hubspot keeps their anonymous data around 30 days.  If the user converts within that window, Hubspot tries to match up the data up with some degree of certainty when I convert to fill in the data you are looking for pre-convert to post-convert.  In Hubspot you will be able to pull a list of those contacts who converted by visiting those 3 pages if they are part of your conversion funnel.  You can also compare that data with those who did not visit those pages to examine differences.

When it comes to the completely anonymous data, the window shopper, who never buys anything, what you are potentially asking for has privacy concerns if you are trying to work outside of Hubspot's system depending on how you are storing someone's data once they accept your cookie.  You can easily pull web analytics through any modern web analytics platform to see who is visiting those pages and not converting, but you cannot put them into a list because, back to the store example, I will give you photos of 1,000 people who walked into your store who bought nothing. While an IP might give you some demographic data like a photo, what does it really tell you? For example, you might know their browser, or approximate location, but that would be about it.  What you might want to consider at this unknown level are your heatmap or user tracking tools like hotjar, crazyegg, etc. and see where users are browsing who did not convert, how far they are scrolling on the page, etc. This type of information could be far more valuable to why someone is not converting as opposed to knowing they are from Los Angeles, CA using Chrome v100.0.4896.127 x86_64.

SRudnicki

I want to analyze how anonymous visitors interact with the website. It would be best if I could do it in Hubspot because I could later score their interactions.

I explicitly stated that I'm not interested in the lists, rather analytics, raports and scoring system. Please do not refer to the lists further.

If you say its not possible in Hubspot then ok, you have helped me. Other tools can do it.

My rephrased question would be, is it possible to get insight on anonymous visitors of 3 webpages and their returns in Hubspot?

0 Upvotes