Control Group for Workflow? Exclude Contacts from Page Visits Smart List for Suppression List

Occasional Contributor

We have a Page/URL Visit based Workflow that sends a follow up email. The workflow also sends an internal email to sales based on other actions taken by the contact in the email.

The client would like to have a control group capability so that 10% of the visitors to the page(s) can be segmented in a Smart List and suppressed from the workflow. 

The goal is to see if the follow up email is helping to increase the sales close percentage or if it is solely the follow up call from sales (or both).

Is there a way to do something like this in Hubspot?

Thanks for any insight or assistance.

0 Upvotes
6 Replies 6
Community Manager

Hello @madchadder welcome to the Community and thanks for your question!

At present, I don't believe this is possible. HubSpot requires logic to segment a group of contacts (e.g an web activity). Do you require the filtered 10% to be totally random or is/can there be criteria to distinguish them?

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

Hi @roisinkirby.  

Thanks for responding.

It can be random, or it can be a specific number, too. We've been looking at possibly using some custom javascript on an Event as an option for the visit tracking as well. Not sure yet if that will offer a solution.

Thoughts on that?

0 Upvotes
Community Manager

Great suggestion @KatieSchieder!

In anwer to your query @madchadder, HubSpot requires a criteria (in the form of a contact property) in order to segment contacts into a list and/or workflow branch. It's unable at this time to randomly select users for a workflow or list.

As Katie advised, random selection for testing purposes is possible with A/B testing. 

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

I would think your best bet would be to A/B test the landing page. Are they Professional or Enterprise customers? 

Occasional Contributor

No sure I understand how an A/B landing page will allow us to segment anyone into a list in terms of visits. We are essentially going to create a control group to test the value of an email workflow that triggers after a URL visit. So, we want to see if the close ratio changes without the email being received, thus the control group. The additional catch is that their site is not Hubspot COS.

Maybe I am missing something, but if you can explain how we could segment A vs. B visitors to the URL into Smart Lists, that would be news to me.

We actually did find one way to do it, but it isn't as easy as hitting a button. Because it's an Enterprise client, we are creating two Events and combining these js additions to the tracking code with Hubspot API and PHP. And we set a total number of visitors vs. a percentage. So, the first event will fire on the first 50 visitors only, and then the second event will fire starting with the 51st visitor. We can then segment the contacts in a Smart List using the two events. Kind of interesting work around.

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

That is an interesting work around. 

As for not using the HubSpot COS, I think thats very common. HubSpot wants everything on their COS, and many times for good reason, but it's just not practical in many cases. The majority of our clients do not have their sites on HubSpot's COS and maintain only a few landing pages on it. This is also true for my agency's site. But back to the originaly point, if you were to A/B test the landing page using either the HubSpot landing page tool or a third party's tool (many of which are quite robust) you would all your leads the same site, since we are not testing the landing page itself, and the leads from landing page A would be entered into a smart list to receive an email but the leads from landing page B would just sit in a seperate smart list. This way you could compare the success of the two without a complicated work around - although I am very intrigued by the way you are segmenting your leads.

Does this help clarify my previous comment?