Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

sgagliano
Participante | Partner nivel Gold

Contact "referral source"

resolver

How can I relate one contact to another contact that referred it? 

Use case:

If Jill referred me to Jack, I wanted to add a property "Referred by" that would lookup other contacts, and enter Jill as that value on Jack's contact record.

I  want to add a custom property that is a lookup field of other contacts (that is apparently not available).  

Anyone?

1 Soluciones aceptada
Dan1
Solución
Guía

resolver

Hi @sgagliano , 

We also tried to figure this out recently and came to the same conclusion which @MFrankJohnson suggested. It's a little more manual but it is working for us. I put together a quick video which details how we set it up. I hope this helps. 

Screenshot 2020-09-16 at 12.06.10.png

Dan Currin 

Co-Founder 

OrgChartHub & GeoMapper named in the Top 30 HubSpot Apps 

Ver la solución en mensaje original publicado

18 Respuestas 18
LSánchezAlarc
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

resolver

Hi community, 

I would like to share with you the next Linkedin´s Blog from our Senior Solutions Engineer @jackcoldrick 

Here he explains how you can create a referral program with all the processes optimized.  

Hope this information will be useful for all of you!

ddinsio
Participante

resolver

Very helpful! This is awesome @LSánchezAlarc 

0 Me gusta
BradOliver

resolver

Thanks @Dan1 The video was very helpful.  🍻

Dan1
Guía

resolver

Hi @mb02 , 

Thanks for taking the time to message, really pleased you found it helpful. 

Kind Regards, 

Co-Founder 

Dan1
Solución
Guía

resolver

Hi @sgagliano , 

We also tried to figure this out recently and came to the same conclusion which @MFrankJohnson suggested. It's a little more manual but it is working for us. I put together a quick video which details how we set it up. I hope this helps. 

Screenshot 2020-09-16 at 12.06.10.png

Dan Currin 

Co-Founder 

MFrankJohnson
Líder intelectual

resolver

Interesting discovery about the 'linkability' of a single-line text property that contains more than a URL, Dan. As usual, you continue to push the boundaries. 😎

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
JennL
Participante

resolver

What about how-can-i-add-a-parent-or-child-company-to-an-existing-company-record

"Can I create more than one level of parent-child relationships?
Yes, you can create multiple levels of parent-child relationships. However, only one level of the hierarchy will appear in the Related companies section: the immediate parent and child companies of the record you are on."

I feel like Hubspot could easily (in a: the field mapping process already works sense) duplicate the parent-child field association to use as a new referred by field. 

Its crazy that we have to still do a work around manual process that includes a link, Thats not great for reporting on.

-Jenn

0 Me gusta
mb02
Participante

resolver

Hey Dan, this has worked a treat for me as a workaround.

Fingers crossed HubSpot will build a referral source solution in, but for now this will keep me going.

Thanks so so so much!

MFrankJohnson
Líder intelectual

resolver

Q: How can I relate one contact to another contact that referred it?
I want to add a custom property that is a lookup field of other contacts (that is apparently not available). ?

Short A: Contact-to-Contact relationships do not exist in HubSpot. Nor does HubSpot have any ability to build these relationships within the platform directly -- see HubSpot ERD (March 2019) for confirmation.

Longer A:

Long ago, we implemented a drop down list of HubSpot users as a referral solution for a client only to learn that it quickly became unmanageable due to human error. Since then, we only use Single Line Text fields for this purpose.

Single Line Text fields still allow many issues (including human error). However, Single Line Text fields don't 'break' things as is the case with dropdowns when their options are changed on live records.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Me gusta
ConnorSlivensky
Asesor destacado | Partner nivel Elite

resolver

You'd have to create two custom properties, one that holds a unique code for each contact and another that holds the code of the person that referred them. 

This blog should walk you through it fairly easily. 

https://blog.hubspot.com/customers/how-to-generate-leads-from-referral-contest

0 Me gusta
GCascais
Miembro

resolver

Hi there, 
Unfortunately the link to the blog doesn't work anymore. Can you update it please?

0 Me gusta
NKrneta
Miembro

resolver

Hi, we are having the same issue, and we wanted to use this solution, but this blog link seems unavailable.

Do you maybe have the correct link?

If not, my question is how do you create a unique code property, preferably automatically.

0 Me gusta
rissole2390
Participante

resolver

How would you do this simply if we used the Jack/Jill example? Not on scale like you are describing. The end goal is to run a report that I can see where my referrals have come from.

sgagliano

resolver

I was thinking the results of a query for contacts where referral partner is known, including the contact name field and the referral partner field, and then a pivot on referral partners.

I think this could be submitted to hubspot as a recommendation for product enhancement.

0 Me gusta
ConnorSlivensky

resolver

@rissole2390 unfortunatly the link I provided is the only way I could think to pull this off. 

@Phil_Vallender @MFrankJohnson any ideas?

But I do agree there should be an easier solution built in. @sgagliano if you post it to the Ideas Board there's a better chance the dev team will see it. Let me know if you do and I'll upvote it and I'm sure others will too. I've seen this request come up a couple of times now. 

0 Me gusta
rissole2390
Participante

resolver

I think here is where someone has posted already. Definitely needs more upvotes though.

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Linked-Referral-Sources-to-Deals-Just-like-Contacts/i...

0 Me gusta
sgagliano

resolver

Can I just use the Hubspot "Contact ID", that displays on exports, as the "Referring Contact Code" (step 1 in the blog post)?

0 Me gusta
ConnorSlivensky

resolver

I'm not sure. A quick Google search is saying (as of 2018) that the contact ID is only retreivable through the API and so wouldn't be able to be used in the tools you'd need for the program (lists,workflows ect)

0 Me gusta