Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

ukhubspot
Participant

Conditional Sending of Marketing Emails in Workflows

Hi All 👋

Has anyone found a workaround to conditionally send an email in a workflow based on contact properties? 

In this example, we have a nurturing sequence that goes to all clients. We only want to send Email A to people who haven't purchased product A, and Email B to people who haven't purchased product B etc. 

It could technically be done with If/Then branches, but because you can't rejoin (is unsplit a word?!) the workflow back to one central branch, we would have to recreate the remainder of the workflow for all 12 product combinations which would be messy, to say the least. 

Ideally, there would either be a "Send Email" when these conditions are met feature or a way of taking all branches of an if / then action and converging it back into one branch but neither seems to exist. 

0 Upvotes
6 Replies 6
victor_carvalho
Participant

Hi @ukhubspot!

In similars scenarios, I usually use Lists to solve some problems like this.

You can create an Active or Static List (depending on your objectives) and filter it accordingly to clients who haven't purchased product A, and so on.

You can use List as a branch in your workflow: if the client is on this especific list, the client will receive the e-mail A.

I use this strategy sometimes, when I want to segment clients. You can give it a try. If it works for you, let me know.

ukhubspot
Participant

Hey @victor_carvalho 

Thanks. I can see a way to add someone in a workflow to a list, but there doesn't seem to be a way to send to a specific list from that workflow?

0 Upvotes
victor_carvalho
Participant

Yes @ukhubspot, it is possible to add to a list from the workflow. The image below shows where you can find it.

victor_carvalho_0-1685540624029.png

You can, for example, add people to a static list, delay by X days, and if the customer  makes a purchase within those days, add the next action to remove them from the list. If they dont  make a purchase by the end of that delay, the next action in the workflow would be to send a email.

I believe it is possible to achieve what you want through the workflows. 

ukhubspot
Participant

Thanks Victor, 

Doing what you proposed would add the person already in the workflow to a (static) list. As you've said, an action in the workflow could be to send an email, but you can't send an email to a static list from the workflow. You can only send to everyone in the workflow. 

Does this make sense or I have I misundertood what you meant?

0 Upvotes
Priyadarshani
Participant

Hi @ukhubspot , 

Here's a potential workaround: You could create a separate workflow (example: Product Nurture Workflow) which would start from the point you want the two if/then branches to converge and use the "enroll contact to Product Nurture Workflow" node after Email A and/or Email B has been sent. 

Let me know if this fits/doesn't fit what you're looking for. Would get more details on what kind of nurture workflow you're trying to build. 

ukhubspot
Participant

Thanks for the reply. 

This is possible, but it gets a little messy when we would need to have a new workflow for every potential branch.

We're trying to build a nuture sequence that, for example, goes out to all new clients. 

We've already created different workflows by industry (the conditional content feature of marketing emails didn't allow enough flexibility, as some industries need more emails than others). 

When the workflow starts, we send a bunch of emails around pain points. What we're trying to do is also send emails around product features, but only to people who haven't already starting using these features. 

The ideal solution would be to have triggers for the email step, but I can't figure out how to do this. 

0 Upvotes