Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

MegMadel
Participant

Can a Contact Property change trigger workflow?

SOLVE

Hi,

I am trying to figure out if a contact property change can trigger a workflow? For example, if a street address is changed or added, can an email be sent to those who need to know this?

Thanks,

Meghan

1 Accepted solution
ndwilliams3
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Yes, you can use the contact property  "is known" option and it will trigger when the field has a value. If you also enable reenrollment and add the contact property  "is known" to the criteria, the workflow will run each time that contact property is changed.

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 2.11.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 2.11.33 PM.png

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
JSoffer
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi there,

I know its been a few years since this thread has been active but after speaking with a customer on this same question (I am a HubSpot employee), I wanted to provide another workaround solution.

1. Create an active list with the properties in question and choose the filter has been updated in the last 1 day.
* This will auto-update and remove records each day from the list after it has been more than 1 day since their value has been changed.

2. Create a blank workflow and use membership of this list as both enrollment and re-enrollment triggers.

3. Add all desired actions in workflow and turn on!

DianaGomez
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @JSoffer, hope you are doing well!

Thanks for sharing 🙂

Best,

Diana

¿Sabías que la Comunidad está disponible en Español?
¡Participa hoy en conversaciones en el idioma de tu preferencia,cambiando el idioma en tus configuraciones!

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

ndwilliams3
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Yes, you can use the contact property  "is known" option and it will trigger when the field has a value. If you also enable reenrollment and add the contact property  "is known" to the criteria, the workflow will run each time that contact property is changed.

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 2.11.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 2.11.33 PM.png

Rebecca93
Participant

SOLVE

Hi there - if your integration wipes this field at point of someone cancelling their subscription for example. Is it possible for the workflow to re-trigger if the value is now BLANK? Does Hubspot see that as a 'new' value?

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hello @Rebecca93, it depends on what actions are being used for the re-enrollment. Could you please inform more details on your current goal and workflow?

Thank you,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

ayazhsdev

SOLVE

Hello, @PamCotton I am also looking for the same thing as what @Rebecca93 is asking.

Here is the situation:
Currently I have created workflow based on property field "abcproperty" is known, and in workflow I am copying the value of "abcproperty" to "xyzproperty" field this is actually for parent child mechanisam, and I want make sure "abcproperty" and "xyzproperty" should be same always, and this is happening between parent deal and child deal. 

Now my issue is, my workflow is work when I enter some values to "abcproperty" field, but when I want to remove value from "abcproperty" and make it BLANK it doesn't trigger workflow. When I remove the value from "abcproperty" I want to trigger workflow also so I can remove value from "xyzproperty". 

0 Upvotes
MegMadel
Participant

SOLVE

Thank you for your reply. Actually, this is only working if I completely remove the address so the field is blank. Hit save and then add the new address. It is not working if I just change it. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Meghan

Sajel

SOLVE

I finally found the solution to achieve this.

Using Workflow, all you need is one extra property that you can use as flag. I'll explain how:

Suppose you want to trigger a work-flow upon "New-Address", You need two fields/properties - Address & TEMP-FLAG (Let's say).

Now, let's say you are you get the address from API Calls. Make sure you get the address sent to the Temp-Flag.

Now, Run a workflow and copy the Temp-Flag value to Adress Value if the Address value is blank. This will take care of the first time address is fed.

In case the address value is prefilled, you can use "If/Else" logic to define what you want to do/workflow you want to trigger when the address is different. 

0 Upvotes
ndwilliams3
Key Advisor

SOLVE

it may be because the leads met the criteria before the workflow was setup. Usually you need to click enroll leads the currently meet the criteria when turning it on. However, since its sending an email, you don't want to enroll current contacts and send out a ton of emails! That's my guess as to why you are seeing the behavior.

I had a similar issue with a workflow. To get around this, I removed the current actions and added a single action of adding to a static list. I then clicked the option to enroll contacts that currently meet the criteria.  Once all the contacts had completed the worklflow, I add the original actions back in.

Try that and see if it solves the update issue.

0 Upvotes