Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

rstevens
Teilnehmer/-in

Add "Append to current value(s)" option when copying to a multi-checkbox property

lösung

When creating a workflow that involves multi-checkboxes, I love that we have the option to append instead of overwrite our existing selections. However, the append option isn't available everywhere.

When using the "Set contact property value" button below, the append option is available. However, if I choose the "Copy contact property value" button, there's no append option. This means I have to resort to elaborate workarounds involving multiple if-then branches just so I can ensure that none of my data is overwritten. 

Since the append logic is already built out for the "Set" button , it shouldn't take that much dev time/effort to add it to the "Copy" button too, right? I know this would be very useful and a huge time saver. Thanks!

** Edit **

I just realized this is also an issue when attempting to copy a property value from a contact record to a company record.

Maybe I'm the first person to ever run into this, so here's why this would be so useful. Let's say I have a contact property that tracks which products a contact is interested in. (Spoiler alert: I do.) It would be very valuable to aggregate this info for all employees at a company. So for example, if I know that one employee at a company is interested in products A and B while another employee is interested in products C and D, I'd like to copy all four products to the corresponding company property. That way my sales team knows the full picture when they walk into any given situation.

1 Akzeptierte Lösung
MFrankJohnson
Lösung
Vordenker/-in

Add "Append to current value(s)" option when copying to a multi-checkbox property

lösung

2000px-Ok_sign_font_awesomeDoes my post help answer your question?

Help the Community by marking it as SOLVED

Q: To SET, or not to SET ... that is the question.

Short A: SET

Longer A:

We hear you @rstevens. Makes sense, but COPY and SET are two very different functions. Maybe suggest your idea in the HubSpot Ideas section.

In the meantime, here's a scalable solution we can implement now using the existing (SET) framework -- i.e., native HubSpot append functionality.

Example using four (4) interests -- [Interest A, Interest B, Interest C, Interest D]
-1- Build a multi-checkbox Contact Property that allows any combination of those interests -- e.g., Name: zInterests
-2- Build a multi-checkbox Company Property that allows any combination of those exact same interests -- e.g., Name: zInterests
-3- Update a few contacts with interests. (important)

-4- Build four (4) smart lists -- [Interested In A, Interested In B, Interested In C, Interested In D]
- smart list criteria = Contact Property zInterests contains 'Interest A' ... 'Interest B' ... you get the picture

-5- Build four (4) workflows -- [Update Company zInterest A, Update Company zInterest B, Update Company zInterest C, Update Company zInterest D]
- workflow enrollment criteria = Contact is a member of Interested In A -AND- The company property zInterests does not contain Interest A
(the Company property test will prevent unnecessary workflow enrollment/execution)

Activate your workflows and grab a cup of coffee while the DB updates. Done!
All your Company records have been updated to reflect the interest of any Contact who is related to each company. Yay! (see image)

hubspot-workflow-set-company-property-using-append.png

share-on-Linkedin-Button-75x19.png 

hubspot-forum-signature-badge-v01.png

www.MFrankJohnson.com

Please include @MFJLabs if you'd like me to respond.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

Lösung in ursprünglichem Beitrag anzeigen

0 Upvotes
12 Antworten
Msyvrais
Autorität

lösung

Also option to Append on a form submission would be cool too

PamCotton
Community-Manager/-in
Community-Manager/-in

lösung

Hello @Msyvrais

I would highly recommend you to please post this idea at our ideas forum (here).

Our product team, who monitors the forum regularly, can read your specific use case and understand why this would be a useful functionality or change. It also helps other customers facing the same issue to advocate for its implementation on your behalf by upvoting on the thread as well.

Thank you,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

Msyvrais
Autorität

lösung

@PamCottonI believe I have 🙂 I just added to the comments as it showed up in my email updates.

Msyvrais
Autorität

lösung

I would also like to add that I would like to switch between append/update without losing the value selected in the drop-down... I often set the value then realize oh ya its still on update not append and basically start over

0 Upvotes
Msyvrais
Autorität

lösung

It would be great if we could ALSO append properties to the company from a contact or visa versa.  "Copy property" only allows you to overwrite

JoeDavies
Stratege/Strategin | Elite Partner
Stratege/Strategin | Elite Partner

lösung

I've run into this issue myself and totally agree with you, it seems like an easy addition.

If its for the purpose of list segmentation or workflow enrollment, you could try a different approach and use the contact property 'has ever been equal to/contained' option, as another workaround approach?

It may mean switching your general approach slightly, but it really depends how you use the properties in question.

You could also make segmented lists of: 

contact property 'has ever been equal to/contained' X
- AND - 
contact property 'is not equal to/ does not contain' X

To show those that used to have the value, adding an OR to also capture those that currently have it.

From each contact record you can see a fields history, so you can see historical values there too.

Not the ideal solution, but might simplify some of your woes until the functionality becomes available.

I've upvoted and commented on your post in the ideas section.

MFrankJohnson
Vordenker/-in

lösung

Q: Add "Append to current value(s)" option when copying to a multi-checkbox property.

Short A: The way your question is framed around 'copying' seems to discount native HubSpot workflow append functionality when using SET.

Longer A:

Does this KB article entitled, "How do I use a HubSpot workflow to add or append a value to a property instead of overwriting it?" solve your issue? 

www.MFrankJohnson.com

Please include @MFrankJohnson if you'd like me to respond.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
rstevens
Teilnehmer/-in

lösung

Hi @MFrankJohnson, thanks for the answer. Unfortunately, that doesn't solve the issue because the native HubSpot append functionality isn't available when you click the Copy button – only when you click the Set button. (In other words, if you use the Copy button, your workflow never presents an option to append – it's overwrite or bust.)

Like I mentioned above, since the append logic already exists, I'm crossing my fingers that it would be pretty quick and easy for the dev team to just clone the feature from one button to the other.

MFrankJohnson
Lösung
Vordenker/-in

lösung

Q: To SET, or not to SET ... that is the question.

Short A: SET

Longer A:

We hear you @rstevens. Makes sense, but COPY and SET are two very different functions. Maybe suggest your idea in the HubSpot Ideas section.

In the meantime, here's a scalable solution we can implement now using the existing (SET) framework -- i.e., native HubSpot append functionality.

Example using four (4) interests -- [Interest A, Interest B, Interest C, Interest D]
-1- Build a multi-checkbox Contact Property that allows any combination of those interests -- e.g., Name: zInterests
-2- Build a multi-checkbox Company Property that allows any combination of those exact same interests -- e.g., Name: zInterests
-3- Update a few contacts with interests. (important)

-4- Build four (4) smart lists -- [Interested In A, Interested In B, Interested In C, Interested In D]
- smart list criteria = Contact Property zInterests contains 'Interest A' ... 'Interest B' ... you get the picture

-5- Build four (4) workflows -- [Update Company zInterest A, Update Company zInterest B, Update Company zInterest C, Update Company zInterest D]
- workflow enrollment criteria = Contact is a member of Interested In A -AND- The company property zInterests does not contain Interest A
(the Company property test will prevent unnecessary workflow enrollment/execution)

Activate your workflows and grab a cup of coffee while the DB updates. Done!
All your Company records have been updated to reflect the interest of any Contact who is related to each company. Yay! (see image)

hubspot-workflow-set-company-property-using-append.png

www.MFrankJohnson.com

Please include @MFJLabs if you'd like me to respond.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
rstevens
Teilnehmer/-in

lösung

This topic is solved-ish, so marking it as such. Thanks to @MFrankJohnson for the workaround. Started a new topic here in the HubSpot Ideas forum to hopefully get a more one-click approach implemented.

rstevens
Teilnehmer/-in

lösung

@MFrankJohnson That does make sense, thanks. A Rube Goldberg-esque solution like this definitely appeals to my geeky sensibilities… but man, I wish I could just do it in one step.

I'm new to the HubSpot Community boards and didn't realize that there's a separate Ideas section. I'll definitely try out your idea, but I'll also see if I can get some traction over there. Thanks again!

MFrankJohnson
Vordenker/-in

lösung

Rube Goldberg-esque for sure. That's HubSpot.

It's also helpful if you mark this request as 'solved' so the rest of the community may see it as a resource (for future reference).

Good luck on your projects @rstevens.

Best,

Frank

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com