Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

Drishtii
Contributor

Ability to A/B test using workflows

SOLVE

Is there any way that we can A/B test paths using workflows? I believe that this is something Hubspot's workflows tool should accommodate. 

If I want to A/B test emails as part of my nurture/promotion workflows, I should be able to. 

I can think of a workaround where I create a custom property and then assign A or B as values to each of my contacts. Then use those as checks (if/then) in my workflows. But then, there has to be a more straightforward way of doing this, right?

Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

3 Accepted solutions
StefaniUAT
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @Drishtii,

Since A/B testing is not a native feature in HubSpot, I have found creative workarounds to produce the same effect using the cloning feature. Narrow down the objective of the A/B testing... Is it email opens or clicks, is it CTAs or purchases? Once you narrow down your objective, create a workflow A and clone it to create workflow B with slight changes to gauge your audience and test effectiveness. However, it is important to mention to keep your branding and content consistent throughout both workflows.

• If I wanted to test email opens, I would clone my intended workflow and emails but with more catchy/cheeky/personalized subject lines. Maybe add a few emojis in.
  • If I wanted to test click rates, I would test CTA buttons versus hyperlinks. Add-in specific CTAs such as Book a Meeting or inquire about a certain service or even change up the wording to entice or really push a CTA click.
  • If I wanted to test communication lengths or delays between communication, or even communication methods, I would clone two versions of the same email with small differences.

When I did this, I took the intended list and split it in two by adding "the first name starts with A-M" on the first workflow then cloned it and added, "the last name starts with N-Z." The most important part is to find a common denominator for the lists such as "Not responded within the last 90 days" or etc.

I know this is not what you wanted, but hopefully an acceptable workaround. I would the upvoting the idea of A/B testing workflows to HubSpot ideas as this is truly a great idea and something I would use regularly.  I just upvoted it myself!

Best,
Stefani Johnson
Defect and Database Administrator
University of Advancing Technology
uat.edu I Earn Tech Respect

View solution in original post

fiachra_duffy
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Drishtii,

It's now possible (via a beta) to automate A/B email testing in workflows, see here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/workflows/automate-ab-emails-with-workflows

For access to the beta, you'd reach out to your account manager / customer success manager. They should be able to enroll you in the beta.

Hope this helps! If it does, you can make it easier for others to find this information by marking my post as a solution.

Cheers!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10
Mike_Donnelly
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @Drishtii - I know this post is a bit aged, however, we had the same need (and even then some), so for anyone interested, we created a workflow tool called split test automation.  It's a free tool for anyone using HubSpot workflows (Pro and Enterprise).  It's in the final review process to be listed on the HubSpot App Marketplace, however, if you'd like to check it out / install it, here's a link to do so.  https://www.theseventhsense.com/split-test-automation

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Drishtii,

It's now possible (via a beta) to automate A/B email testing in workflows, see here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/workflows/automate-ab-emails-with-workflows

For access to the beta, you'd reach out to your account manager / customer success manager. They should be able to enroll you in the beta.

Hope this helps! If it does, you can make it easier for others to find this information by marking my post as a solution.

Cheers!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

StefaniUAT
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @Drishtii,

Since A/B testing is not a native feature in HubSpot, I have found creative workarounds to produce the same effect using the cloning feature. Narrow down the objective of the A/B testing... Is it email opens or clicks, is it CTAs or purchases? Once you narrow down your objective, create a workflow A and clone it to create workflow B with slight changes to gauge your audience and test effectiveness. However, it is important to mention to keep your branding and content consistent throughout both workflows.

• If I wanted to test email opens, I would clone my intended workflow and emails but with more catchy/cheeky/personalized subject lines. Maybe add a few emojis in.
  • If I wanted to test click rates, I would test CTA buttons versus hyperlinks. Add-in specific CTAs such as Book a Meeting or inquire about a certain service or even change up the wording to entice or really push a CTA click.
  • If I wanted to test communication lengths or delays between communication, or even communication methods, I would clone two versions of the same email with small differences.

When I did this, I took the intended list and split it in two by adding "the first name starts with A-M" on the first workflow then cloned it and added, "the last name starts with N-Z." The most important part is to find a common denominator for the lists such as "Not responded within the last 90 days" or etc.

I know this is not what you wanted, but hopefully an acceptable workaround. I would the upvoting the idea of A/B testing workflows to HubSpot ideas as this is truly a great idea and something I would use regularly.  I just upvoted it myself!

Best,
Stefani Johnson
Defect and Database Administrator
University of Advancing Technology
uat.edu I Earn Tech Respect
skrames
Participant

SOLVE

On the last bullet for delay tests, would add that instead of creating two separate workflows, you can use the same workflow and create an "If/Then" branch to split-test alphabetically. Then just compare the two separate email open rates. Just make sure you don't use these emails in other workflows!

0 Upvotes
fiachra_duffy
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE
Drishtii
Contributor

SOLVE

Thank you for sharing this @fiachra_duffy !
This is definitely the easiest solution I have come across. I will make use of this soon 🙂

Drishtii
Contributor

SOLVE

Hey @fiachra_duffy - So I was able to launch the A/B test build last week. It works perfectly well. 🙂

The one issue that I want to highlight here, which is not really related but can get annoying very quickly, is the lead assignment notifications. Now I am using my user login and a fellow marketer's login to assign the A/B decider users. And we keep getting notifications. The only way for me to stop that is for me to pause the notifications at an account level. 

I believe this should be a suggestion for Hubspot portal itself - To be able to switch on/off assignment notifications based on properties or workflows. 

fiachra_duffy
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hey @Drishtii – you are completely right, I totally forgot to mention about turning off assignment notifications for these individuals 😬 

Hopefully as they are generic emails or marketing teams (and not sales) they don't need to be notified about every assignment and can turn that off for the users in the A/B divider.

Screenshot 2020-09-21 at 09.51.14.png

Drishtii
Contributor

SOLVE

That is exactly what I did! Haha.

But anyways, no other hurdles. 

0 Upvotes
natsumimori
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @Drishtii ,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on A/B testing workflow.

Currently, it is something not possible within the tool, however, mamy other users raised the same requests and the Product team is reviewing them. You can see the details in this Idea thread

Meanwhile, I will tag in some Community members to see if they can suggest you any alternative way. @mike-ward and @StefaniUAT , do you know a workaround to do this?