Lead Capture Tools

SamAdler
Participant

new requirement for 'default value for token' in an internal email

I just went in to update a form that we've been using for over a year, and it gave me a bunch of warnings on form fields that didn't have warnings before.  This is for tokens i'm using on an internal notification that tells the sales rep and others a bit of info on the contact who filled out the form. 

Apparently now every single form field needs to have a default value? When did this start and why?  I don't need my internal message to have default values. It's totally fine if the field 'message' for example is blank...

I was able to save it without creating defaults, but still think it's odd that it's giving me all these warnings...

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 11.01.20 AM.png

3 Replies 3
sharonlicari
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @SamAdler 

Welcome to the Community!

With personalization tokens, you can show personalized content to your contacts based on their property values in your CRM, and this is the way this functionality works. The default values are used in case a contact record has empty values, we will replace those values with a default value instead.

It would be necessary to set a default value for the token to don't receive those warnings. The default value will be used when the contact does not have a value for that specific property. You can also set global default values for the tokens.

You can find more information about this functionality here.

I hope this helps

Thanks

Sharon

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
SamAdler
Participant

Hey Sharon,

Thanks for getting back to me. While I understand what Default values are for, and I do use them when appropriate, I guess my point was to say that some fields simply don't need a default value, as any default value would simply be blank.  Why do I need an error when no default value is needed?  Not a big deal, as it seems like the error is just an error, and doesn't prevent you from continuing/using the form.  I just thought it was odd, as I don't believe Marketo/Eloqua/Pardot show errors if you don't have a default value. It gives the option, though.

DSwider
Participant

Hi @SamAdler

I can only speak to Eloqua, but you are correct, if there is no default value set, it will be blank. For example, Dear {firstname}, if no default value and a value isn't in the record would be Dear ,. I'm using two of these parameters in a URL in an email in Hubspot and both do not and should not include default values as they are email and ecommerce id. They will be populated for those we are sending the email to but I can't get them through the review step to schedule the email. Default values should not be required. 

0 Upvotes