Lead Capture Tools

BGarcia2

Webinar form submissions creating duplicate leads

SOLVE

Hi! Is it possible to suppress lead creation from a webinar form submission?  We're running a webinar series where contacts can sign up for multiple webinars. And we're seeing issues like duplicate leads being created or they're not getting updated with information from the additional webinars they sign up for. We thought it would be easier to do a manual bulk upload at the end of the series.

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @BGarcia2,

It's not possible to prevent HubSpot from creating or updating a contact when they submit a form. However, contacts will automatically be updated when they have the same email address. There is an automatic deduplication based on email address.

What email addresses are you seeing for these duplicates? Are they using business and personal email addresses for multiple submissions?

This is of course assuming that contacts register via HubSpot form. If they are not, how are you creating these contacts in HubSpot?

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
franksteiner79
Key Advisor

SOLVE
Hey there...

Could you maybe shed some more light on how you have set this up in HubSpot?
Some questions from the top of my head would be:

1. Is the webinar form submission happening via a HubSpot landing page /
form?
2. Do you have a landing page for each webinar? (Maybe share the link to
one landing page for reference)
3. Or do I sign up on one LP/form and select multiple webinars in the
form?
4. Which webinar tool are you using?
5. Is it integrated with HubSpot?
6. When you say duplicate leads are being created what exactly do you
mean? HubSpot usually de-duplicates contacts based on email address so that
shouldn't happen.
7. When you say "they're not getting updated with information from the
additional webinars they sign up for" what does that mean? Are you using a
custom property, or what update would you expect to see on the contact
record.

Thanks
Frank
Found my comment helpful? Great! Please mark it as a solution to help other community users.

Frank Steiner

Marketeer | HubSpot Expert | CRM Consultant

InboundPro

Let's Talk About Your Project
BGarcia2

SOLVE

Thank you very much for your help. I am new here and new to HubSpot. Hope these answers help:

1. Is the webinar form submission happening via a HubSpot landing page /
form? yes
2. Do you have a landing page for each webinar? (Maybe share the link to
one landing page for reference) we have a LP for each webinar

3. Or do I sign up on one LP/form and select multiple webinars in the
form?
4. Which webinar tool are you using? GoToWebinar
5. Is it integrated with HubSpot? I don’t think so
6. When you say duplicate leads are being created what exactly do you
mean? HubSpot usually de-duplicates contacts based on email address so that
shouldn't happen. The duplicate lead is created in CRM when HubSpot pushes a new form submission into CRM.
7. When you say "they're not getting updated with information from the
additional webinars they sign up for" what does that mean? Are you using a
custom property, or what update would you expect to see on the contact
record. We’re hoping to see the lead in CRM updated with data listing the new webinar the contact signed up for. Is there a custom property for this?

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @BGarcia2,

It's not possible to prevent HubSpot from creating or updating a contact when they submit a form. However, contacts will automatically be updated when they have the same email address. There is an automatic deduplication based on email address.

What email addresses are you seeing for these duplicates? Are they using business and personal email addresses for multiple submissions?

This is of course assuming that contacts register via HubSpot form. If they are not, how are you creating these contacts in HubSpot?

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

BGarcia2

SOLVE

Thank you very much for your help. I am new here and new to HubSpot. Your questions helped me to realized the lead duplication is occurring in CRM when HubSpot pushes the webinar registration notice from HubSpot to CRM. When a contact signs up for a webinar and has a lead already existing in their name in our CRM, HubSpot creates a duplicate lead for that contact. Is there a way to stop this from happening?

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @BGarcia2,

When you say 'duplicate lead', are you maybe referring to a deal record in HubSpot? HubSpot does not have a lead object like other CRM systems.

If duplicate deals are created, it sounds like there is a workflow which creates new deals based on the registrations. This workflow would have to be adjusted so that it only runs once for each contact. You should be able to find this workflow by looking at the contact record and which workflows the contact has been enrolled in. Once you find it, feel free to share a screenshot here.

If you're not referring to deals, I'm not sure what exactly you mean. Again, HubSpot considers lead a characteristic of the contact record – and contacts are automatically deduplicated by email address. It could only create contact duplicates if you're not asking for the email address in your webinar registration or if the email address is not stored in the HubSpot Email field.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
BGarcia2

SOLVE

Thanks so much, so that must be why I'm finding the duplicates in Microsoft CRM and not in HubSpot. When the contact registers, HubSpot looks for duplicates in HubSpot and manages that dedupe process but when it pushes the notification to Microsoft CRM it's possible to create duplicate leads during that push even when the emails are the exact same? Is this a property I can change in HubSpot?

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @BGarcia2,

This depends on how exactly you have set up the sync between HubSpot and your CRM system – have you reviewed the integration settings?

Best regards

Karsten Köhler