Lead Capture Tools

ericacowan
Contributor

Unique form submission ID

SOLVE

What are the best options for capturing a unique ID for each form submission of HubSpot hosted forms?

Our reporting and sales hand-off process relies on having the ability to match up each individual submission (i.e. RFQ 00001, RFQ 00002, etc.) 

We would need this form submission ID number included in our internal email notification and in the form submissions export data.

I'm thinking a hidden form field could work, just not sure how to get the auto-generated value.

1 Accepted solution
Ben_M
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Don't worry, you are not alone in using a different CRM.  Personally I have done a lot of work with Hubspot Marketing and Salesforce and it is very common to find this scenario of automation platfom and CRM platform being separate. The submission GUID would work but it isn't created until after the submission happens.  So what your API would need to do is grab the submission ID after the submission from a specific form and then share that value with your CRM.

Hubspot does have some good API documentation.  Like you I know enough to help guide what they can do, but not enough to code it and work with developers as well.  What I would recommend they look into is the Contact and Form APIs because there should be a way to pull this information after the submission and trigger a retrieval of the data you are looking for.

https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/overview

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Ben_M
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @ericacowan - you are correct that a hidden form field could work but it would need to be programmed.

Because you are talking in what I would consider to be mixing marketing contact forms and having them trigger opportunities (basically unknown becomes a SQL and bypasses the in-between), the first question I would ask you is what are you using to track Opportunities. Are you using Hubspot? Salesforce? another CRM?

To make a long-story short, and not to get too far ahead without understanding your situation, all Hubspot submissions have a submission ID attached to them because otherwise Hubspot would not be able to make active lists or reports on your forms.  The submission ID is found in the URL of the submission details for your form submissions. It is a random string and not a pretty number like you are looking for.

With that said, let's start with step one and figure out what you need to integrate with before trying to propose a solution.

0 Upvotes
ericacowan
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @Ben_M ,

Thanks for looking into this for me and replying so quickly!

We're currently using a different CRM (SAP) to manage opportunities, sales, etc. Our CRM is integrated with our ERP system and doesn't integrate nicely with HubSpot. Using HubSpot's CRM isn't on our roadmap for now. Our Marketing team is using HubSpot for the marketing automation functionalities. 

I don't need a "pretty number," just a one-to-one match up. The submissionGuid could work for us, but getting it on the form submission and in the exported data is where I'm getting stuck.

I'm meeting with our developer team later this week (since I don't have a background in coding/javascript) and would like to present some initial suggestions on what makes sense within HubSpot to get some sort of auto-generated form submission value for each submission.

Ben_M
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Don't worry, you are not alone in using a different CRM.  Personally I have done a lot of work with Hubspot Marketing and Salesforce and it is very common to find this scenario of automation platfom and CRM platform being separate. The submission GUID would work but it isn't created until after the submission happens.  So what your API would need to do is grab the submission ID after the submission from a specific form and then share that value with your CRM.

Hubspot does have some good API documentation.  Like you I know enough to help guide what they can do, but not enough to code it and work with developers as well.  What I would recommend they look into is the Contact and Form APIs because there should be a way to pull this information after the submission and trigger a retrieval of the data you are looking for.

https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/overview

ericacowan
Contributor

SOLVE

thanks!

0 Upvotes