Lead Capture Tools

jjokinen
Contributor

Turning on "Always create contact for new email address" option in forms

SOLVE

Hi!

I was wondering what the use case for turning on the "Always create contact for new email address" option in forms is?

Seems like we've had this turned on in most of our forms but to me, it looks like turning it off would make a lot more sense.

Thanks,

Joel

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @jjokinen,

If this is not turned on, HubSpot will update an existing contact instead of creating a new contact in a few scenarios.

One of the two notable ones would be multiple people using the same device. HubSpot would update the same contact with a new email address instead of creating another contact.

Similarly, if a marketing email is forwarded and a second person click a link and submits a form, HubSpot will also think this is the same person, as marketing email tracking links are personalized.

Enabling the "Always create contact..." option is a good idea.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
Digital Marketer | HubSpot Freelancer | CRM Consultant

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @jjokinen,

If this is not turned on, HubSpot will update an existing contact instead of creating a new contact in a few scenarios.

One of the two notable ones would be multiple people using the same device. HubSpot would update the same contact with a new email address instead of creating another contact.

Similarly, if a marketing email is forwarded and a second person click a link and submits a form, HubSpot will also think this is the same person, as marketing email tracking links are personalized.

Enabling the "Always create contact..." option is a good idea.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

jjokinen
Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks @karstenkoehler!

That makes sense. However, doesn't turning it on create more duplicates in the system and block us from using progressive fields?

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @jjokinen,

If there are contacts who submit a form first with a personal email, then with a business email, then yes, this might result in duplicates. And correct, you will not have access to progressive fields.

This comes down to personal preference. Personally, I prefer these two issues over having incorrectly merged contacts – very hard to clean-up and potentially risky when it goes unnoticed. Much harder also than merging contacts, especially if you have access to the duplicates tool.

Best regards

Karsten Köhler