Lead Capture Tools

JGajic

Tracking Hubspot forms in Google Analytics 4 for external web pages

SOLVE

Hello, does anyone have a solution for how to track Hubspot forms in Google Analytics 4? Forms are implemented on external web pages (not Hubspot pages).

1 Accepted solution
Ben_M
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

There's 3 parts to this.  Setting up that script as Custom HTML is part 1. Part 2 is setting up a trigger in GTM to listen for that event. And then step 3 is to create a Tag for your GA4 event to listen for that event trigger.

How are you tracking your form submissions today in Universal Analytics?  Your forms could be getting tracked this same way through UA, but Events are just setup differently in GA4.  So in UA you would have a category, action, and label to your events and in GA4 they are more flexible to be configured to your own parameters but those parameters have to be setup by you as many parts of this do not automatically populate.  If this already exists, you don't need to rebuild everything different for GA4, just replace the parts that are no longer relevant.  If you are not using this method today for event tracking, and are using something different we may be able to tie into that to prevent a disconnect from your old data to your new.

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16
Revvmarketing
Participant | Partner
Participant | Partner

SOLVE

Hi, it's actually quite simple. I made a video tutorial on it here. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA3t1jbCY3M

codeandtonichq
Contributor

SOLVE

TRACKING FORM NAMES - EASIER METHOD

We can't get the name of the form. But if we listen for "onFormSubmit" instead of the 'onFormSubmitted' we can get all the fields user has filled. It seems to be a superior way. We can then create a hidden field and add the form name as the default value and track the form name without a lookup table in Google tag Manager. 

Tutorial here (not yet GA4 version but 98% the same)

0 Upvotes
codeandtonichq
Contributor

SOLVE

Super easy method

This tutorial is the quickest way. I'd recommend Tag Manager but for most people it's too complex.
Track Hubspot forms with Google analytics. No Google Tag Manager! 

0 Upvotes
birdman
Contributor

SOLVE

@CamiG It's a variable of type LookUp table. Input side the HubSpot Form ID. Output side a name you can assign. For example: "9373475934759379573952" -> "Newsletter signup". I assume you know how to find the Form ID.

CamiG

SOLVE

Yes indeed, thank you very much! I have added {{Form ID}} as the Input Variable as well.

0 Upvotes
Shep
Participant

SOLVE

@birdman thanks for these instructions - super helpful. However I can't seem to get it working. I'm stuck at the same point as CamiG - creating the LookUp table. I've created the LT variable as you described but think the Input Variable value might be wrong?

@CamiG did using the value {{Form ID}} work for you? Or did you need to create a new value/variable specifically for HS form IDs? When I go to preview mode in GTM I can't see the event firing on form submission.

birdman
Contributor

SOLVE

Ok. I got it working. In the screenshot you see how I implemented this. Likely need to adjust for your own environment. {{LT - FormName}} is a lookup table with HubSpot formIDs.Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 10.04.00.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-21 at 10.05.11.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-21 at 10.05.25.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-21 at 10.05.39.png

CamiG

SOLVE

Hi @birdman

I've managed to create the tags, trigger and variables needed, which are working correctly, but now I'd like to know which forms are submitted, and it seems that you created LT - FormName variable in order to get this information. How did you manage to create it?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Camille

0 Upvotes
Ben_M
Key Advisor

SOLVE

I just use the Hubspot form listener. This just pushes an event to the data layer that I would use to trigger GTM to capture the custom event.

<script type="text/javascript">
  window.addEventListener("message", function(event) {
    if(event.data.type === 'hsFormCallback' && event.data.eventName === 'onFormSubmitted') {
      window.dataLayer.push({
        'event': 'hubspot-form-success',
        'hs-form-guid': event.data.id
      });
    }
  });
</script>

JGajic

SOLVE

Hi Ben,

thanks for your response!

So, as I understood, I need to add this code to GTM? Or? If there is any tutorial on how to implement this code, could you send it to me, please?

Thank you a lot!

0 Upvotes
jahlo

SOLVE

This tutorial worked for us and is very straight forward with all above steps, hopefully, can help someone here too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd-4G0VSb2Y

aljawo
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks! It definitely works but you need the form to be embedded in any of your site's pages

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @jahlo thank you for sharing this tutorial with us!

Kindly,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
Ben_M
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

There's 3 parts to this.  Setting up that script as Custom HTML is part 1. Part 2 is setting up a trigger in GTM to listen for that event. And then step 3 is to create a Tag for your GA4 event to listen for that event trigger.

How are you tracking your form submissions today in Universal Analytics?  Your forms could be getting tracked this same way through UA, but Events are just setup differently in GA4.  So in UA you would have a category, action, and label to your events and in GA4 they are more flexible to be configured to your own parameters but those parameters have to be setup by you as many parts of this do not automatically populate.  If this already exists, you don't need to rebuild everything different for GA4, just replace the parts that are no longer relevant.  If you are not using this method today for event tracking, and are using something different we may be able to tie into that to prevent a disconnect from your old data to your new.

birdman
Contributor

SOLVE

How does the GA4 event tag look in GTM? Do you have an example? Especially the Event Parameters are not clear to me. 

0 Upvotes
Ben_M
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Looking back to your previous post, your setup appears to be correct.  If the event parameters are not working, then you probably need to review your GA4 Custom Definitions to ensure that your custom dimensions are named and that their scope matches the scope of the form submission (event).

0 Upvotes