Lead Capture Tools

LHinrichsen
Participant | Partner
Participant | Partner

Projected decrease in form fills from additional opt in requirements

SOLVE

Curious if anyone has seen or experience a benchmark that speaks to a projected/average % decrease in form submissions that correlates to additional layers of opt-in. I have a client whose legal team wants to add in multiple additional opt ins. What they are requesting seems to exceed what is requited by CAN-SPAM, etc. We're trying to find some data to share to help the client combat the request by being able to share a projection on what a decrease in form fills might be. 

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
GeorgeBThomas
Solution
Guide | Elite Partner
Guide | Elite Partner

SOLVE

@LHinrichsen,

I feel like more information on this might help. I'm not 1005 sure what you mean by ... " in form submissions that correlates to additional layers of opt-in".

Are we talking about multiple forms or more fields in the forms they are using? With that said, here are some resources I like to leverage during similar conversations.

40+ Conversion Rate Optimization Stats Show What You’ve Been Missing

Conversion Rate Optimization Guide 2021

Here’s When to Worry About Your Form Conversion Rates

I'm all ears if you want to provide more specifics on this topic.

George B. Thomas

HubSpot Helper & Owner

George B. Thomas, LLC

(252) 656-5950 | (330) 232-6117
george@georgebthomas.com
www.georgebthomas.com

View solution in original post

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @LHinrichsen,

It's hard to get representative data on this, submission, open and click rates vary a lot in different industries and in different phases of the buyer's journey.

In the HubSpot portals that I've managed in the past and that I'm managing right now, there wasn't a noticeable decrease in form submissions when forms were updated with longer consent and data privacy texts. In general, you want to keep these texts as concise and as easy to understand as possible but this won't chop off much of your conversion rate. If anything, these might convey that you're doing serious business and that you care about being compliant and respectful of personal data.

The confirmation email that is sent after the form submission however has a big impact. The best performing confirmation / double opt-in emails I've seen had an open rate of ~75% and a click rate (clicks/delivered) of ~66%. In other words, if you're doing an amazing job of optimizing the copy and look and feel of this email, you'll still lose out on 1/3 of the contacts. Of course, these metrics can be much worse.

I always tell myself that these are likely the contacts that wouldn't have converted into customers at somepoint anyway. I guess we'll never know.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @LHinrichsen,

It's hard to get representative data on this, submission, open and click rates vary a lot in different industries and in different phases of the buyer's journey.

In the HubSpot portals that I've managed in the past and that I'm managing right now, there wasn't a noticeable decrease in form submissions when forms were updated with longer consent and data privacy texts. In general, you want to keep these texts as concise and as easy to understand as possible but this won't chop off much of your conversion rate. If anything, these might convey that you're doing serious business and that you care about being compliant and respectful of personal data.

The confirmation email that is sent after the form submission however has a big impact. The best performing confirmation / double opt-in emails I've seen had an open rate of ~75% and a click rate (clicks/delivered) of ~66%. In other words, if you're doing an amazing job of optimizing the copy and look and feel of this email, you'll still lose out on 1/3 of the contacts. Of course, these metrics can be much worse.

I always tell myself that these are likely the contacts that wouldn't have converted into customers at somepoint anyway. I guess we'll never know.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

GeorgeBThomas
Solution
Guide | Elite Partner
Guide | Elite Partner

SOLVE

@LHinrichsen,

I feel like more information on this might help. I'm not 1005 sure what you mean by ... " in form submissions that correlates to additional layers of opt-in".

Are we talking about multiple forms or more fields in the forms they are using? With that said, here are some resources I like to leverage during similar conversations.

40+ Conversion Rate Optimization Stats Show What You’ve Been Missing

Conversion Rate Optimization Guide 2021

Here’s When to Worry About Your Form Conversion Rates

I'm all ears if you want to provide more specifics on this topic.

George B. Thomas

HubSpot Helper & Owner

George B. Thomas, LLC

(252) 656-5950 | (330) 232-6117
george@georgebthomas.com
www.georgebthomas.com