Lead Capture Tools

SullivanK

Multiple Dependencies on Same Two Fields

SOLVE

We are new to Hubspot and working on building our initial inquiry form.  We ask a two-part question on our old form to drive prospective students to the correct major and I'm looking to duplicate this: 

1. What area/department are you interested in? 

2. What program/major are you interested in? 

What I'm looking to do is change the values that are visible in the field for question 2 depending on the answer to question 1. In all the scenarios, the same two fields will be used. 

Ex: 

*If Department: "Business", then Program options: MBA, Predictive Analytics, HR Management, etc. 

*If Department: "Education", then Program options: Master of Education, Master of Arts in Teaching

*If Department: "Nursing", then Program options: Master of Science in Nursing, Master of Science Nurse Practitioner, RN to BSN, etc. 

Essentially I'm looking to create a "Smart" form where I truncate the program fields to only show the eligible values based off the Department field; however, when I try and do multiple dependencies on the program field, it says it's already in use. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

2 Accepted solutions
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @SullivanK 

Dependant form fields doesn't support this quite the way you want. Your only option, currently, is to create multiple versions of the program/major question and display the right one depending on the answer to question 1. 

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

_hubspot-button-accept-as-solution-gif-v00.gif

Q: Essentially I'm looking to create a "Smart" form where I truncate the program fields to only show the eligible values based off the Department field; however, when I try and do multiple dependencies on the program field, it says it's already in use. ?

Short A: Correct. This is expected HubSpot behavior.

HubSpot will not allow the re-use of a dependent field within the same form.

Longer A:

The solution using built-in HubSpot functionality requires four (4) fields, as follows:

- Education Department (radio select)

- Business Programs (dropdown)

- Education Programs (dropdown)

- Nursing Programs (dropdown)

- see example form

HubSpot Form Using Multiple Dependent FieldsHubSpot Form Using Multiple Dependent Fields

Help answer your question? If so, remember to accept this solution now.

Best,
Frank

Chief HubSpot Consultant

hubspot-solutions-signature-mfrankjohnson-v05.png

MFrankJohnson.com | Perfecting HubSpot Series | Connect on LinkedIn

Help find posts quickly ... accept this solution now.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
5 Replies 5
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

_hubspot-button-accept-as-solution-gif-v00.gif

Q: Essentially I'm looking to create a "Smart" form where I truncate the program fields to only show the eligible values based off the Department field; however, when I try and do multiple dependencies on the program field, it says it's already in use. ?

Short A: Correct. This is expected HubSpot behavior.

HubSpot will not allow the re-use of a dependent field within the same form.

Longer A:

The solution using built-in HubSpot functionality requires four (4) fields, as follows:

- Education Department (radio select)

- Business Programs (dropdown)

- Education Programs (dropdown)

- Nursing Programs (dropdown)

- see example form

HubSpot Form Using Multiple Dependent FieldsHubSpot Form Using Multiple Dependent Fields

Help answer your question? If so, remember to accept this solution now.

Best,
Frank

Chief HubSpot Consultant

hubspot-solutions-signature-mfrankjohnson-v05.png

MFrankJohnson.com | Perfecting HubSpot Series | Connect on LinkedIn

Help find posts quickly ... accept this solution now.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
bradmin
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Thanks, @MFrankJohnson.

@SullivanK, you may have some luck with HubSpot workflows and form edits. You may still want to tackle this from the Salesforce side.

I haven't checked about picklist dependencies recently. It used to be that you could set any value from any picklist; if the HubSpot contact contained an invalid set off values, a sync error occurred until you updated with appropriate values. Think of it as a fluffed-up validation error.

A HubSpot-side solution requires automation external to the system that's validating the data. If you can accomplish the same goals with logic and automation in Salesforce, you may have more flexibility. 

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.
Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @SullivanK 

Dependant form fields doesn't support this quite the way you want. Your only option, currently, is to create multiple versions of the program/major question and display the right one depending on the answer to question 1. 

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency
SullivanK

SOLVE

Thank you so much for your help; this makes sense! 

A follow-up: Since we integrate into Salesforce and "Program" is a single field in Salesforce, it seems the only way to update that field is to have a workflow that populates that field off of the most recent value from all of those other fields. Does this sound like a possibility? 

So you have Business Programs, Education Programs, Nursing Programs, and then a "Master Program" field and the master program field updates based off of the most recently filled in value from any of those fields.. and that master program integrates to Salesforce?

MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

You're welcome @SullivanK ...

Your plan sounds like it might work. Maybe a more experienced HS2SF admin will chime in.
cc: @bradmin 

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes