Live Chat App slows page down

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I have the Hubspot Chat installed here:

https://www.3mediaweb.com/great-b2b-software-company-websites/

There is a file:

https://static.hsappstatic.net/conversations-visitor-ui/static-1.383/bundles/visitor.js

which is almost a 1.39 mb file. Is there no way to compress the scripts so it loads faster?

6 Replies 6
Community Manager

Hey @merlinvicki

There is no way to shrink the size of the file. If you are noticing your site is running slow, I would recommend looking at other elements of your site. 

Thank you,
Jenny

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jenny,

We've put a lot of work in to improving our mobile pagespeed score and load times. Implementing chat on our site dropped our mobile pagespeed score by an avg of 25 points and our desktop pagespeed score by an avg of 11 pts. Surely you must have a solution other than instructing us to look at other elements of our site. Our site is otherwise fast, the culprit for the reduction in speed is strictly the chatbot/visitor.js.

As you can see in the screenshot linked here it takes 10x longer to load than the next longest script. This isn't really acceptable in what some are calling 'The year of pagespeed'.

@thisisdatis 

0 Upvotes
Community Manager

Hi @skemble,

I wanted to share this resource which is a great resource for HubSpot and page speed. 

Thank you,

Jenny

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Hi @jennysowyrda - your script is the problem. It loads 10x slower than other scripts. What are you doing to speed things up? As a marketing automation company catering to marketers, you should know the importance of page speed and how it affects mobile rankings. Especially with this being the "year of page speed" according to Google.

New Contributor

Was there any update on this?

We are experiencing the same issue?

When we include the tracking code on our website - it will add 20+ requests and slows down the page load by around 2-6 seconds.

0 Upvotes
Visitor

Hi Jenny and the HubSpot crew - it's now October 2019, and the visitor.js script you bundle is still massive and a tremendous resource hog.  It consumes more resources than the entire rest of our web app combined!  This should really be broken down into consituent components and served separately depending on the requisite functionality - I highly doubt you need to serve such a large file for simple chat and tracking functionality.

For a benchmark of a couple of your competitors, the Heap Analytics dependency has 1/13th of your footprint, and in that they manage to still identify visitors and track page events at a finer grain than your system.  Chatlio's dependency is about 1/40th. 

tl;dr: Tracking and chat with forms takes at most 1/10th of what your library needs and your users (who rely on you for marketing and sales) need your help to get ranked.  It's time to optimize.

Edit: And Jenny, regarding your answer, it's not sufficient.  You're referencing an engineering challenge as impossible, and a cursory review of the dependency reveals that's not true.  An easy example is that your team has chosen to define literal month names 3 (!!!) times in the dependency.  If that's happening in a minified file, I can only imagine what the code itself looks like.

0 Upvotes