Lead Capture Tools

Leigh_Oxley
Colaborador

Lead Source Original and Most Recent

resolver

We're trying to capture very specific values for our lead source custom property. The values in Hubspot's default Original Source fields aren't specific enough. For example, we've set up landing pages for various sources, with forms that will stamp the contact record's custom property. However... we want to apply logic here.

If the Lead Source Original custom property is blank, write the custom value we define to the field, for example: ABC Tradeshow, XYZ paid partnership, etc.. This custom property should only update once, if it's blank... once it has a value, it should never update again. Then, our second custom property Lead Source - Most Recent would update every single time, regardless.

This means a brand new lead will have the same value in both fields. Then, if they come back in as a touch from another source, their values will be different - capturing their original source as the ABC Tradeshow, and their most recent source as XYZ paid partnership. In this example, we have an obligation to the tradeshow to tell them how many new leads were actually created from their source, so this is something we need to be able to track.

NOTE: We are not integrated with SFDC, so not talking about their lead source field via integration.

Thoughts?

0 Me gusta
1 Soluciones aceptada
karstenkoehler
Solución
Miembro del salón de la fama | Partner

resolver

Hi @Leigh_Oxley,

HubSpot forms will always overwrite an existing value so any solution here will require contact-based workflows (meaning a Professional or Enterprise subscription).

Lead Source – Most recent could be a regular form field and overwritten each time.

Here is how you would set up the contact-based workflow for Lead Source – Original:

Enrollment criteria:

Contact has submitted form AND

Lead Source – Original is unknown

Actions:

Set value of Lead Source – Original to desired value

How many of these workflow variations (or branches within one workflow) you need to create depends on the values of these properties.

As an alternative to triggering these workflows with forms, you could also create two properties:

Lead Source – Original (for forms)

Lead Source – Original

Instead of having to reference specific forms in your workflow enrollment criteria, you could then simply copy the value from the forms property into the regular property. Lead Source – Original (for forms) would then be copied into Lead Source – Original if the latter is unknown.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Ver la solución en mensaje original publicado

2 Respuestas 2
Leigh_Oxley
Colaborador

resolver

Thanks for the input, @karstenkoehler ! I was hoping it would be as easy as it's been in other systems I've used, where I could set update logic on the property itself (i.e. only update if blank, update always, etc.). Maybe a wishlist item for Hubspot in future! 🙂 Appreciate you taking the time to answer, either way!

0 Me gusta
karstenkoehler
Solución

resolver

Hi @Leigh_Oxley,

HubSpot forms will always overwrite an existing value so any solution here will require contact-based workflows (meaning a Professional or Enterprise subscription).

Lead Source – Most recent could be a regular form field and overwritten each time.

Here is how you would set up the contact-based workflow for Lead Source – Original:

Enrollment criteria:

Contact has submitted form AND

Lead Source – Original is unknown

Actions:

Set value of Lead Source – Original to desired value

How many of these workflow variations (or branches within one workflow) you need to create depends on the values of these properties.

As an alternative to triggering these workflows with forms, you could also create two properties:

Lead Source – Original (for forms)

Lead Source – Original

Instead of having to reference specific forms in your workflow enrollment criteria, you could then simply copy the value from the forms property into the regular property. Lead Source – Original (for forms) would then be copied into Lead Source – Original if the latter is unknown.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.