Lead Capture Tools

coreysmith
Top Contributor | Gold Partner

Intermediate Video Step in Lead Flow

SOLVE

I would like to have a LP direct to a video TY page where after the Video Plays they are the directed to another page to complete a final, larger form (application). I just don't want them to skip to the end without watching the video.

Step 1: Small Form

Step 2: Watch a Video

Step 3: Long form

Step 4: Rejoice

Anyone have a solution for that?

--
Corey Smith
Directory of Digital Marketing
corey@intuitivewebsites.com
0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Ty
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hey @coreysmith,

Since you mentioned you are doing this with HTML5 Video, you're in luck. The video tag has a rather exstensive list of bindable events, and 'ended' just happens to be one of them. The basic idea of this function is to replace the usual 'video.play' with your own function, where you run a second function after the event listener is triggered.
Let's take a look at the HTML of your video:

Video HTML

<video width="400" controls id="your-video" width="770" height="882" onclick="playVid()">
    <source src="your-video-source" type="video/mp4">
</video>

Do you see what we're doing? Our onclick control is being used to trigger a function called 'playVideo'. This playVideo function will be containing the command of 'video.play' plus the second function of redirecting on end. That can be seen below:

playVideo Function

function playVid(){
  var video = document.getElementById('your-video');
  // plays video
  video.play();
  //execute on end
  video.addEventListener('ended', function(){
  		//Redirects
      window.location = 'https://www.google.com';
  });

}

This will handle the basic level of your problem, I even included a JSFiddle for you to see it in action (Please note, JSFiddle won't allow a redirect from their site, since it's playing in an iframe, but it should essentially show a fake-redirect in that window): Link

Let me know if you have any questions, hope this helps!

-- Ty

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
6 Replies 6
Ty
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hey @coreysmith,

Since you mentioned you are doing this with HTML5 Video, you're in luck. The video tag has a rather exstensive list of bindable events, and 'ended' just happens to be one of them. The basic idea of this function is to replace the usual 'video.play' with your own function, where you run a second function after the event listener is triggered.
Let's take a look at the HTML of your video:

Video HTML

<video width="400" controls id="your-video" width="770" height="882" onclick="playVid()">
    <source src="your-video-source" type="video/mp4">
</video>

Do you see what we're doing? Our onclick control is being used to trigger a function called 'playVideo'. This playVideo function will be containing the command of 'video.play' plus the second function of redirecting on end. That can be seen below:

playVideo Function

function playVid(){
  var video = document.getElementById('your-video');
  // plays video
  video.play();
  //execute on end
  video.addEventListener('ended', function(){
  		//Redirects
      window.location = 'https://www.google.com';
  });

}

This will handle the basic level of your problem, I even included a JSFiddle for you to see it in action (Please note, JSFiddle won't allow a redirect from their site, since it's playing in an iframe, but it should essentially show a fake-redirect in that window): Link

Let me know if you have any questions, hope this helps!

-- Ty

0 Upvotes
coreysmith

SOLVE

Ty, finally back at this now that my deadline is looming. This is simply a brilliant solution. I dig it. Thank you very much!

--
Corey Smith
coreysmith

SOLVE
This is great. I may be a couple of weeks before trying it out but I'll mark as a solution now. I'll pop back in if something doesn't work. Thanks!
--
Corey Smith
roisinkirby
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hey @coreysmith what video player are you using?

0 Upvotes
coreysmith

SOLVE

Normally I just use the HTML5 video player. I like it because it's simple to use and I just host the video on Hubspot's CDN

--
Corey Smith
0 Upvotes
roisinkirby
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

@cbsembler @Ty @sfiske have you seen this acheived before?

0 Upvotes