Hola! ¡Tenemos nuestra Comunidad en Español!

Hubspot not capturing all my form submissions and not always sending notification

Regular Contributor

Hello, I am using the Hubspot CRM with the tracking code on my wordpress website which has always picked up form submissions and notified me when we get a new lead.

Recently, (seemingly from November 2018) not all submissions have been collected by Hubspot. Some are, and some are not and I cannot see any reason behind which are picked up and which are not. 

Secondly, for those that are picked up and collected by Hubspot, sometimes I am notified and sometimes I am not. Again, I cannot work out why some are coming through and others not.

I have discovered 4 leads this morning from the last 3 months which are potentially lost business. In a small business where we only have around 10 clients, this is a huge opportunity to miss out on. My CEO is furious and wants to move away from Hubspot. previously I had been trying to move to a paid-for plan, now it looks like I will never get sign off. 

Can someone help me fix this? And has anyone else had this same problem? 

Many thanks.

0 Upvotes
16 Replies 16
Community Manager

Hi @Aimee,

Happy to help here! Can you please provide some additional information including the pages the forms are on. I would also recommend confirming you have the most up to date version of the HubSpot plug in. You can also try using forms from within HubSpot (which a free tool) and putting them into your wordpress website. 

Additionally, @trevorjones71 just recently discussed some options for integrating HubSpot and Wordpress in this thread.

Thank you,
Jenny

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

Hi Jenny,

The submissions are sometimes collected from the main contact form and sometimes not. This form is used across several pages, and I cannot tell whether there is a page in particular which it is not being collected from, because of course if the submission is not collected there is no tracking info, I just see it as a submission in Ninja forms with no info about which pages it was submitted on. 

I did not use the Hubspot Wordpress plugin, I installed the tracking code on the site. It has always worked as far as I can see for the past year, but just in the last few months I have discovered some form submissions in Ninja forms which do not exist in Hubspot. There are also some contacts in Hubspot myself and my colleague never received a notification for. 

Thanks for the link to some useful information about how to use forms, but that will take developer time to set this up, something I do not have at the moment. 

Surely there is a technical issue here with Hubspot that needs addressing? I have already spent a day at this end checking I have everything set up correctly and testing the form submissions trying to find out why some work and some don't, to no avail.

I am disappointed I can no longer have any phone support, something which was a great help when I opted to use Hubspot in the first place. 

0 Upvotes
Community Manager

Hi @Aimee,

Since we were founded, HubSpot has remained committed to providing small and medium-sized business the tools they need to remain competitive in the shifting digital landscape of marketing, sales, and service. To this end, we’ve continued to add more features and options to HubSpot's CRM, while remaining committed to keeping the product free. In order to maintain this commitment, phone, chat and email support are limited to paying HubSpot customers. As a free user, help is still available to you on the HubSpot community which is staffed by other HubSpot users and our Partners. This channel is also staffed by HubSpot employees to help with technical errors and setup.

If you would like to continue working through this issue on this platform, if you can share a link to the page the form is on, that would be a good starting point so that we can look at the page and make sure everything is set up correctly. 

The more information, screenshots and information you provide, the better the Community can assist! 

Thank you,

Jenny

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

Hi Jenny,

The form can be found on all these pages, but I don't know if one page in particular is causing the problem as obviously the user's page visits are not tracked if it is not fired off to Hubspot. 

https://buildempire.co.uk/ 

https://buildempire.co.uk/our-agile-approach/

https://buildempire.co.uk/contact/

Let me know if you have any suggestions, thanks.

0 Upvotes
Community Manager

Hi @Aimee,

My first recommendation would be to use HubSpot forms, as this is a free tool available within HubSpot.

The way collected forms is built, it can be blocked from working for a variety of reasons, ranging from the browser to page that don't finish loading, JavaScript conflicts on the page, visitor closed their browser tab immediately after submission, visitor has JavaScript disabled, etc. Because we're essentially 'hooking into' the 3rd party form we cannot guarantee 100% collection of every single submission. We strive for 100% but it is unattainable due to how many external factors have an influence.

There can be a multitude of reasons why a collected forms submission may not come through, JS may have been blocked or browser extensions may have blocked this. Without seeing the exact browser when the person was submitting the form, we can't tell why we didn't scrape this. If you want to guarantee submissions come into HubSpot, you should switch to HubSpot forms.

Thank you,

Jenny

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

Thank you for your advice on the issue of my forms not always being collected, Jenny. 

Any thoughts on why sometimes notifications are emailed to me and my colleague and sometimes not? And yes, I have checked my junk folder and checked the HubSpot email addresses are added to my address book. 

Coming back to collecting the forms, I believe HubSpot forms was not a free option when we first installed our tracking code. I have had a look at this option recently and I don't think it gives us enough styling freedom to match the designs for our website, but I will take another look. 

So, is there anything else you can suggest or is your answer that you don't know why it is not working, it is not 100% reliable? If there is nothing you can suggest for me to do, I'll just have to try and source a web developer to take a look for me. 

Wish I'd have known there was the risk of HubSpot not collecting all forms when I'd first installed it, unfortunately, I blindly trusted that if my test forms came through then my forms would always come through. Lesson learned, have a failsafe in place in the future. 

0 Upvotes
Community Manager

Hi @Aimee ,

If you can provide specific examples of contacts who were added to your portal without a notification email, that would be great!

Thanks,
Jenny

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

I can do, but is there some way I can do this privately? 

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

Hello again Jenny, I am getting some help from one of your colleagues for this problem now directly, so hopefully, we will find out why it is not working properly.

After the first conversation there seems to be no obvious things wrong with the set up at my end, but if it turns out it is due to a mistake I have made I will post it here so others can learn. 

Thanks for trying to assist, I hope your colleague is able to discover the cause of the issue.

0 Upvotes
Community Manager

Thanks for the update @Aimee

Please let me know if you require additional assistance.

Thank you,
Jenny

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

Finally figured this one out with some development help! Thought I'd post here in case anyone else has the same issue. 

Turns out it was not a Hubspot issue, it was our own Gmail account. Essentially, development tell me, Google had updated their security and when our Ninja Forms was trying to send info Gmail was blocking it sometimes. So the info never reached Hubspot. 

All updated now and so far everything seems to be running smoothly. Worth knowing if anyone else finds themselves in the same situation. 

Thanks for trying to help Jenny from Hubspot :-), you were more useful than Angelo Norton who had a conversation with me on the phone, told me to send screenshots and then ignored all my emails. :-(

Anyway, hope this helps others in the future. :-D

Regular Contributor

Thought we had fixed this on our side by upgrading gmail security, but alas, still having the same problem. Had two new leads come in recently but not gone across to Hubspot. Very sad as this means we cannot track where these leads are from or even which page on our website they have come from. I have to manually create the contacts in Hubspot, which defeats the object of using Hubspot as a tracking and lead collection tool. 

Again, any advice or help welcome, still have not heard back from Hubspot staff I spoke to over the phone and have had no response to my emails.

This community is my last hope before I switch to another CRM.

Thanks

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

Hi Aimee, 

Just a thought, I noticed you have enabled the HubSpot cookie banner for GDPR. When I land on your site I can click disable tracking before I submit any forms which I would assume could impact your ability to track leads who choose to disable this setting.  When you're simply using the HubSpot tracking code on your WordPress website I expect HubSpot will not pull this form submission through.

If you were embedding HubSpot forms, which is the best practice for embedding on 3rd party providers like WordPress, I expect you would still have this submission stored in a list at least. If you have embeded HubSpot forms with custom CSS to respect your branding of course, you could have a checkbox requesting their consent and permission to track them before they submitt this form.  

Maybe have a check this out because the GDPR settings are really strict.

Cheers,

Chris

Regular Contributor

Thank you for sharing your idea Chris, but we have already tested whether this affects form submissions and there seems to be no correlation between disabling or enabling cookies and forms not being pulled through to Hubspot. I would also assume that if this were the case (that disabling cookies stopped form submissions) that Hubspot would know this and would give a warning to users when switching this feature on. 

I understand there is a new Hubspot Forms feature too which you have said is best practice to use, but unfortunately, this was not an option when the site was built, so I would expect the essentials of Hubspot to be working without having to use this new feature. Luckily, the form plugin we are using does give us a list of form submissions so we are able to still contact the people, but it is not ideal that we then have to manually add these to Hubspot, as well as not having any tracking details for them (assuming they have allowed cookies). 

We are currently upgrading to PHP7 as the developers think this might have an effect on the form submissions, so will keep this thread updated with any news as to whether this has any impact. In the meantime, many thanks for trying to help Chris, and any other suggestions from the community are welcome. 

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

Hi Aimee,

I'd be interested to see how you tested this correlation. If a user has never been logged in HubSpot they will have an anonymized HubSpot ID with no master data on the contact level behind it. If they land on your site they will be tracked anonymously until they complete a form and give consent to track if you're following GDPR correctly. If they decline your cookie tracking via the banner, the tracking script you have in place won't send any information to HubSpot period.  

https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/methods/tracking_code_api/place_do_not_track_cookie

I personally think you're expecting a bit much from HubSpot (even the paid version) because you're using unsupported 3rd party forms and expecting HubSpot to pick up an event (form submission) based on a logic designed to protect you against GDPR breaches (tracking without permission). Disabling cookies doesn't mean the user can't complete a 3rd party form so the system would never deliver this information to you or the user. 

Also Ninja v3.0+ forms are not supported in case some of your forms are form this version - https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/non-hubspot-forms/use-non-hubspot-forms

Good luck!

Best regards,

Chirs 

Regular Contributor

Hi again Chris,

So, I am testing by disabling cookies (in incognito mode) and then submitting a form through the site and it works fine. The forms data is sent to the Hubspot API even after declining cookies, so it is very unlikely that is the issue here. 

The information you sent about the unsupported forms is the main take away for me here, it sounds like this could be the issue. This seems like relatively new information from Hubspot (March 2019) which is a shame because I could have had the site built with a different form builder if I'd have known at the time of building. I will have to look into changing the forms after our PHP7 upgrade. 

I will keep this thread updated with how I get on.

Thanks for your help!

0 Upvotes