Lead Capture Tools

KatyLewis

Form submissions overriding current information

SOLVE

Hello - we would like to use forms to have our customers sign up to recieve different newsletters but are running into a problem. When someone who already exists in our CRM fills out a form, HubSpot automatically updates their Contact recrod with the information entered and overrides whatever information we have.

While in theory this would be a good thing, we are running into situations where people have typos in their submissions (e.g. meaning to type "MI" for their state and typing "MO") and/or use an abbreviated version of their company name (e.g. KFC rather than Kentucky Fried Chicken) which then makes reporting and creating distrubtion lists very difficult. 

Has anyone else run into this problem and found a solution that isn't a manual one of having to check each form that is submitted for accuracy? 

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @KatyLewis,

There are workarounds but they come at the price of complexity. Specifically, you would have to create copies of the fields you don't want to have overwritten. You would use these copies (e.g. 'Company name – for use in forms only') in forms only and set up workflows to copy their value into the actual field (e.g. 'Company name') but only if that field is empty.

That way, you would know for sure that a 'good' and valid value remains untouched.

The big problem however would be that contacts don't have any means of updating their contact data anymore. Depending of how important this is in your industry, the manual effort of having to review and compare the two fields is worse then having to clean up the occasional typo.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
EmmaAtKiwi
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Hey @KatyLewis! One thing you can do to prevent this problem is toggling on the "Pre-populate contact fields with known values" option under the Settings portion of the form.

Screen Shot 2023-12-06 at 9.54.14 AM.png

This option will auto-populate the email address with values you already associated with that contact in HubSpot. This isn't a 100% guarantee, but folks won't usually change the values that are already there. 

Emma Washington

HubSpot Director @ Kiwi Creative

3x Accredited HubSpot Platinum Partner

HubSpot Certified Trainer
Leader of B2B Technology (USA) HubSpot User Group

Join our HubSpot Community Group for B2B Technology
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @EmmaAtKiwi,

I find that this creates more problems than it solves, unfortunately. Contacts sharing a device or just one forwarded email can mean unwanted merged contacts.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @KatyLewis,

There are workarounds but they come at the price of complexity. Specifically, you would have to create copies of the fields you don't want to have overwritten. You would use these copies (e.g. 'Company name – for use in forms only') in forms only and set up workflows to copy their value into the actual field (e.g. 'Company name') but only if that field is empty.

That way, you would know for sure that a 'good' and valid value remains untouched.

The big problem however would be that contacts don't have any means of updating their contact data anymore. Depending of how important this is in your industry, the manual effort of having to review and compare the two fields is worse then having to clean up the occasional typo.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler